Would you want to be nominated for "What Not to Wear"?

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 8 Jun, 2007 11:51 pm
Go for it Soz. Just tell her it was the dough you thought she'd like. Meanwhile; recommend buying clothes in her goal-size.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 12:46 am
Poem by Jenny Joseph
When I am an old woman, I shall wear purple

with a red hat that doesn't go, and doesn't suit me.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 07:02 am
Yeah, that's a cool poem. Has spawned many Red Hat Clubs.

cyphercat, totally, I've thought that about since you mentioned your love for Maurice Sendak.

Bill, the whole buying-clothes-in-a-goal-size is dangerous. My mom finally donated a whole bunch of never-worn goal-size clothes to Goodwill. I don't recommend it, for a few reasons. I mean like if you come across something fabulous for 90% off and it's only in the size down from the one you wear, sure, I can see getting that. But on the level of a new wardrobe... no.

Oh and re: the nominating process... it was pretty straightforward, there was an online form to fill out, had to submit a full-length picture I think, then answer a bunch of questions. My title/ theme whatever was "New professor still dressing like a grad student!" They never got back to me. Or haven't gotten back to me YET -- who knows. He has improved since then too, though. His everyday attire is still kinda bleh (running shoes, Levi's, some sort of plaid cotton shirt), but he cleans up nice for talks (khakis, good black leather shoes, good solid-colored cotton button-down, nice lambswool sweaters in the winter).

Meanwhile, on WNTW the other day: "New professor still dressing like grad student!" She was a woman though, and the whole transformation was way more dramatic than it'd be with E.G. (Especially, not much to do with his hair -- he's clean-shaven and has a short buzz cut.)
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 07:34 am
Chai wrote:
For instance, I never, never, never, EVER wear open toed shoes. Don't like how they look, on anyone let alone me. Kicky and I are alike in that feet are not attractive, and toes are....(shudder), I can't go on.

I learn this after I go barefoot in your house.. Cool HA

If someone were to nominate me, I would be shocked, embarrassed, maybe even mad.
But at the same time, I would do through with it as I have always wanted an entire closet full of new clothes.

80% of my clothes are work clothes.
Stained by bleach, pulled out of shape, and just dusty dirty cleaning clothes.

I have a hand full of skirts that I try to wear as every day clothes, but I find myself comfortable in those worn out work clothes to the point that I wear them even on the weekends.

I have a few nice pieces of clothes, but again.. never wear them unless it is something special.

I have not seen this show.. ?
but from what i have read, I can not say that I would like it.

Low rise jeans are the dumbest trend I have seen since those 10 sizes too big pants. They belong on teenagers and not adults.
They are not sexy.
They make a womans book look small and flat like a 10 year old boys.

I sware , some where behind this new trend, was a table of gay men who just got tired of seeing womens rear ends and decided to try to minimize them and make them look more appealing from behind.

These pants get rid of the natural curves and make women look like sticks.

They suck and I would never put a pair on my body
So if it is a requirement to 'wear the current style' on that show, my episode would never air.. Laughing
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 07:48 am
Depends on what you mean by low-rise.

They don't like the super-low-rise that you see on teenagers -- what they like are the jeans that stop just a bit below your bellybutton. (Like, 1/2 inch, not 3 inches.) The point they made -- and I was skeptical, but it's true -- is that that waistline kind of holds in a belly, whereas if the waistline is higher, your belly (if you have one) poofs out.

It's an interesting show, it's not just about fashion by any means. One of the most affecting ones I saw was about a woman who was maybe mid-20's, and just way overdoing it -- pancakey makeup (foundation, false eyelashes, blue eyeshadow, whole 9 yards) and wearing really slutty, out-there clothes. The new clothes alone was amazing but the really wow part was when they did her makeup. She had to take it off first, and she was all teary-eyed, and the makeup gal (Carmindy) was exclaiming about how beautiful her skin was, and it WAS. The gal just totally didn't see it. She was freckly, and she talked about being "blotchy," but it was this really fresh, sweet kind of freckles. Carmindy added some makeup but not much and suddenly this gal was just beautiful, and she was so emotional about it. Just a totally different personality for her, and she had this air of release, of being free to be herself in a way she hadn't been, that she'd put up all of these barriers between her and the world.

Anyway, that's the kind of stuff I like, and there is a lot of it.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 07:49 am
sozobe wrote:
His everyday attire is still kinda bleh (running shoes, Levi's, some sort of plaid cotton shirt)

Watch it -- you're on the brink of messing with an entire academic discipline. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 07:50 am
I know, it's the damn uniform. I insult it, sir, I insult it. ;-)
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 07:54 am
You know what happened the last time someone did this. Let's just say emperor Hirohito never made fun of Enrico Fermi's tie again.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 07:56 am
Tie? Fermi was NOT wearing the uniform then. No ties allowed.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 08:00 am
sozobe wrote:
Tie? Fermi was NOT wearing the uniform then. No ties allowed.

Fermi's was a squiggly, Dilbert-style tie. We reserve them for Nobel Prize winners. Our own Theodor Hänsch wore one of these at his 2005 ceremony too.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 08:01 am
Well at the ceremony, maybe.

It should have some attribute that puts it in the "novelty" category, though -- cartoon characters are good, LED features are better.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 08:09 am
Maybe we could use a laser diode as his tie pin. I can imagine it serve as a pointing device during talks. (Physicists always lose their laser pointers.) He could also get his audiences' attention by not shutting it off while talking to them.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 08:13 am
He never wears a tie and wouldn't be caught dead in any novelty anything, thank goodness.

He does have one tie he wears occasionally that was conference swag which sounds like it'd have to be the worst thing ever but it's actually quite nice. (Silk, and an abstract print that is actually an image of... I dunno, something vaguely scientific.)
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 08:39 am
That sounds civilized, even stylish. Clearly his wife is a bad influence on him.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 09:15 am
sozobe wrote:
Bill, the whole buying-clothes-in-a-goal-size is dangerous. My mom finally donated a whole bunch of never-worn goal-size clothes to Goodwill. I don't recommend it, for a few reasons. I mean like if you come across something fabulous for 90% off and it's only in the size down from the one you wear, sure, I can see getting that. But on the level of a new wardrobe... no.
Does that mean I should stop buying clothes from the Lee Haney collection?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 09:20 am
No idea who Lee Haney was, I Googled...

Ew.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 09:26 am
No, I wouldn't want to be nominated. I dress the way I want to dress and if people don't like it, they can look the other way.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 09:37 am
Lee Haney:
http://www.bodybuilders.com/haney3.jpg
Make no mistake; dude can open that jar.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 09:39 am
Why does it seem that Bill constantly posts that particular photo?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 9 Jun, 2007 09:41 am
I just noticed the name Lee Haney above the photo. Damn! I thought that was snood.
0 Replies