A friend in need is a pest

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 01:57 pm
WASHINGTON - Former White House aide I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby was sentenced to 2 1/2 years in prison Tuesday for lying and obstructing the
CIA leak investigation.

Libby, the former chief of staff to Vice President
Dick Cheney, stood calmly before a packed courtroom as a federal judge said the evidence overwhelmingly proved his guilt and left the courthouse without commenting.

"People who occupy these types of positions, where they have the welfare and security of nation in their hands, have a special obligation to not do anything that might create a problem," U.S. District Judge Reggie B. Walton said.

Walton did not set a date for Libby to report to prison. Though he saw no reason to let Libby remain free pending appeal, Walton said he would accept written arguments on the issue and rule later.

Deputy White House press secretary Dana Perino, accompanying
President Bush on Air Force One from the Czech Republic to Germany Tuesday, told reporters that Bush "felt terrible for the family, especially for his wife and kids."

She said Bush would comment no further on the case at this time.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,159 • Replies: 26
No top replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 02:23 pm
http://g-ec2.images-amazon.com/images/I/21N2GC6FETL._AA160_.jpg

Got him in the can at last.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Tue 5 Jun, 2007 04:17 pm
Looks like Scooter will serve some time. The judge is not likely to grant bond while an appeal is filed.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2007 06:45 am
There is a lot of scuttlebutt in my local rag about Bush possibly pardoning him. To do so, IMO would be a travesty.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2007 08:24 am
Well I feel sorry for his wife and kids too but if you do the crime you should pay the time. I hope President Bush does not give him a pardon.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2007 08:29 am
Scooter
Scooter got his knickers twisted because he arrogantly thought he and his ilk were above the law.

BBB
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2007 08:34 am
TTH wrote:
Well I feel sorry for his wife and kids too but if you do the crime you should pay the time. I hope President Bush does not give him a pardon.

I am sure that there are many men in jails with wives, kids, sick mothers and lonely pets. That is not a reason for absolving a person from taking his just punishment.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2007 08:39 am
Phoenix32890 I am slightly confused on your post. You quoted me and I am not quite sure why since I feel there should not be a pardon.
0 Replies

HokieBird

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2007 09:07 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
TTH wrote:

I am sure that there are many men in jails with wives, kids, sick mothers and lonely pets. That is not a reason for absolving a person from taking his just punishment.

That certainly isn't a reason in Scooter's case, but I disagree that it's never the case.

I served on a jury in which an illegal from Mexico chose to drink 21 beers and then go for a drive (on the wrong side of the road) resulting in a head-on collision which in turn changed the lives of the family in the other car forever (grandmother blinded, 2-year old's chest crushed). The prosecutors wanted to throw the book at him, but we gave him probation because he had a wife and 3 teenagers to support (with the provision that if he was caught driving drunk again he'd serve out his 10-year prison sentence, period).
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2007 09:37 am
HokieBird wrote:
I served on a jury in which an illegal from Mexico chose to drink 21 beers and then go for a drive (on the wrong side of the road) resulting in a head-on collision which in turn changed the lives of the family in the other car forever (grandmother blinded, 2-year old's chest crushed). The prosecutors wanted to throw the book at him, but we gave him probation because he had a wife and 3 teenagers to support (with the provision that if he was caught driving drunk again he'd serve out his 10-year prison sentence, period).

Since when does a jury do the sentencing for a crime? That is what the judge does. All a jury does is find the person innocent or guilty. The judge sentences the person.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2007 09:40 am
Bush has to pardon him. You all can continue to think with your emotions but this isn't a right/wrong issue. It's a political issue. Bush had to pardon him or risk his other allies turning on him for fear their butt isn't covered.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2007 09:41 am
bush has gotten away with it and will leave office scott free, unaccountable and filthy rich. WTF does he care about political allies?
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2007 09:44 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
bush has gotten away with it and will leave office scott free, unaccountable and filthy rich. WTF does he care about political allies?

Oh I am sure he is already rich Laughing Laughing
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2007 09:52 am
He will get pardoned. I'm so sure he'll be pardoned that if he doesn't, I promise to take a belt sander to my own nipples until they are nothing but raw, pink, wet patches on my chest.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2007 09:53 am
kickycan wrote:
He will get pardoned. I'm so sure he'll be pardoned that if he doesn't, I promise to take a belt sander to my own nipples until they are nothing but raw, pink, wet patches on my chest.

stop teasing you....
0 Replies

HokieBird

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2007 10:00 am
TTH wrote:
HokieBird wrote:

Since when does a jury do the sentencing for a crime? That is what the judge does. All a jury does is find the person innocent or guilty. The judge sentences the person.
-

Not everywhere.
0 Replies

TTH

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2007 10:18 am
TTH wrote:

HokieBird wrote:
Not everywhere.

Since the topic is dealing with the USA that is what I was referring to.
0 Replies

HokieBird

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2007 10:21 am
TTH wrote:
TTH wrote:

HokieBird wrote:
Not everywhere.

Since the topic is dealing with the USA that is what I was referring to.

So was I.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2007 10:29 am
TTH wrote:
Since when does a jury do the sentencing for a crime?

it appears they do in U.S. death penalty cases

Quote:
In a bifurcated trial, the jury would first determine guilt or innocence, and then, if the defendant were found guilty, the appropriate sentence, a life term or death.

U.S. courts link
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 6 Jun, 2007 10:34 am
Quote:
In most states, the court holds a sentencing hearing for felony convictions and convictions that can lead to incarceration. This hearing is usually held several days or weeks after delivery of the verdict and can consist of oral testimony, cross-examination of witnesses, evidence, and arguments to the sentencing authority (either the judge or the jury).

Law Library link
0 Replies