my take on the democrat debate tonight

snood

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 08:01 pm
sozobe wrote:
OK, then SNOOD, details!

This seems to have a fair amount of quotes:

http://rawstory.com/news/2007/Democratic_hopefuls_face_off_in_New_0603.html

I like the 4 1/2 years too late quote, I think. (What was Edwards' position at that point? I don't remember.)

Obama's "4 1/2 years late" remark came in answer to Edward's comment immediately before. Edward's had tried to make a dramatic point about "someone who wants to be president should lead, not follow", in reference to the fact that Obama and Clinton were late casting their 'nay' votes to the war funding bill, and also that they had not been verbal enough about their opposition to the war. He walked right into Obama's reminder that Obama had been against the war for years before any of the others (besides good ole Dennis).
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 08:09 pm
But, just a general comment about the debate...

I was actually a bit relieved to see a presidential debate where there were actually some substantive things discussed, and some meaningful exchange between candidates. I tried to watch some of the last Republican debate, and it was so chock full of sound bytes and talking points that they all seemed like caricatures to me. Of course I am biased, but the Dem candidates seem to me to have generally better knowledge about issues, or at least seem to have done some homework beyond practicing punchlines.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 08:13 pm
nimh wrote:
ossobuco wrote:
I seem to remember that Obama signaled several weeks early he would vote for the funding without a withdrawal date.

He voted against, I think - Hillary too.

OOPS!!!

really? I could swear he signaled he would vote for funding. My bad.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 08:58 pm
Major time imbalances pointed to in CNN-moderated Democratic debate Michael Roston
Published: Sunday June 3, 2007

A chart published by the Presidential campaign of Senator Christopher Dodd (D-CT) indicated a major imbalance in the time allotted to different Democratic hopefuls by CNN broadcaster Wolf Blitzer, who moderated tonight's two hour debate at St. Anselm College in Manchester, New Hampshire.

The 'Talk Clock' showed that Senator Barack Obama came out in front, with 16 minutes of air-time. Former Alaska Senator Mike Gravel received only about a third of Obama's air-time at 5 minutes, 37 seconds.

Senators Joe Biden (D-DE) and Dodd both finished behind Rep. Dennis Kucinich, the Ohio Democrat who has distinguished himself in the field of candidates with a foreign policy built around principles of non-violence. Kucinich had 9 minutes to answer questions, with Dodd getting about 8 1/2 minutes, and approximately 8 minutes for Biden.

In the post-debate analysis, Blitzer was clearly conscious of the lack of time received by some candidates.

"Everybody thinks they deserve more time...but you do the best you can," the CNN news host said. "There'll be more debates down the road, and hopefully it'll balance out over time."

Blitzer himself spent close to 13 1/2 minutes asking questions and following up with the answers.
link
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 10:00 pm
Transcript of tonight's debate:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/03/us/politics/03demsdebate_transcript.html?pagewanted=print
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 10:26 pm
Thanks Butrfly!
0 Replies

HokieBird

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 11:11 pm
squinney wrote:
1. Edwards
2. Richardson
3. Obama
4. Clinton

In no particular order. I would be satisfied and feel confident in the abilities of any of the above.

Richardson / Edwards would be a great ticket, IMO. A newer guy with someone that has some diplomatic experience. Same with a Richardson / Obama ticket.

I dunno. Biden seems too entrenched, inside.

MR. RUSSERT: But let's go through the resume a little bit. First, there's governor of New Mexico. As you well know, they rank states in a whole variety of categories from one being the best, 50th being the worst. This is New Mexico's scorecard, and you are the governor. Percent of people living below the poverty line, you're 48. Percent of children below, 48. Median family income, 47. People without health insurance, 49. Children without health insurance, 46. Teen high school dropouts, 47. Death rate due to firearms, 48. Violent crime rate, 46. You're the very bottom of all those statistics of all 50 states, and you're the governor for five years.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 3 Jun, 2007 11:32 pm
This sentence represents a bookmark.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 06:55 am
What the media say

In the media, a consensus about last night's debate seems to be wholly lacking.

--------------

On the left, The Nation declares Hillary the winner:

Quote:
The difference over [whether there is a] difference [between the candidates on Iraq] was the main point of contention [..].

Clinton wants to play down the fact that until recently she was out of step with Democratic primary voters [..]. So on the stage she pointed out that "we all believe we need to end the war." She added that whatever disagreements exist among the Democrats [..] are trivial given that every major Republican running [..] supports the president on the war. "This is George Bush's war," she declared.

It was a typical frontrunner's performance. Focus not on the rivals in your own party but on the other side. [..]

Edwards [..] needs a line of attack on Clinton and [..] Obama. So at the debate, he maintained there's an immense gap between himself and the other two. [..] He noted--correctly--that when the recent Iraq war funding bill was up for a vote in the Senate, he vociferously urged the Democrats in the Senate to say no to Bush, while Clinton and Obama went mum. Sure, Edwards went on, Clinton and Obama ended up voting against the funding, but they did so "quietly" and said nothing about how they would vote before the roll was called. [..]

Edwards had a point--but perhaps a minor one. [..] And at the debate, Obama had a good comeback. "It is important to lead," he said, adding "I opposed this war from the start...not years late." [..]

So among the [three], there's a candidate who was initially against the war and now pledges to end it, a candidate who voted for the war and now pledges to end it, and a candidate who voted for the war and now pledges to end it and who criticizes his [..] opponents for not being sufficiently passionate [..]. Viva la difference? Or not.

Clinton hopes to blur the edges; Edwards needs to sharpen them. Meanwhile, [if Obama] and Clinton are at the same place now on the most critical issue for Democratic voters, he's going to have a tough time upsetting her apple cart. [..] Bottom-line (for those keeping score at home): it was a good night for the former First Lady.

------------------

In the Boston Globe, Scot Lehigh declares it A night for Obama and Biden:

Quote:
THERE WERE no big winners last night, but there were two figures who managed to stand out [..]: Barack Obama and Joe Biden.

Obama [..] won several verbal duels with John Edwards, who was aggressively trying to draw distinctions with him and Hillary Clinton on Iraq [..]. "[y]ou're about four and a half years late on leadership on this issue," he noted, in a tone that managed to be both pleasant and pointed. [..]

All in all, Obama's was a strong performance, one that gave away nothing at all to the front-runner, Clinton, who came off as smart and competent, but for all that, didn't turn in as many memorable moments.

Of the second tier candidates, it was Biden's night. Biden was forceful -- and funny -- about letting gays and lesbians serve openly in the military. The candidate who seemed most knowledgeable about foreign affairs, he also spoke powerfully and passionately about establishing a no-fly zone to help end genocide in Darfur.

-------------------

In Iowa's Des Moines Register, David Yepsen declares John Edwards the winner:

Quote:

------------------

In the Rocky Mountain News, Mike Littwin points to Hillary as the clear winner, with harsh words for Edwards and a shrug at Obama:

Quote:
Everyone running against Hillary Clinton has the same problem. And the problem's name is George W. Bush. [..] It's tough to make points against Clinton when she keeps insisting that the debate is actually about the guy in the White House [..].

Let's just say the rest of the field is studying the tape now, trying to figure that one out. They never laid a glove on her. Not moderator Wolf Blitzer, who didn't seem to try that hard. [..]

John Edwards had a game plan. He would come out swinging. It might have worked in the first half [..] when the candidates were standing behind lecterns. In the second half [..] they were seated. You try to swing from a seated position. I had trouble just listening to a two-hour debate from a seated position.

In the first Democratic debate, [..] everyone wrote that the debaters were much too nice, including Edwards. This time, Edwards would mix it up [..]. Edwards looked - depending on your point of view - either assertive or desperate. What I mean is, he looked - again, depending on your point of view - either like a lawyer or a, gasp, trial lawyer. [..]

Obama noted that Edwards made the wrong vote back in 2002 on [Iraq]. This was the counterpunch of the night. [..] And then Clinton threw her own punch - at the president. "[T]his is George Bush's war - he is responsible for this war," she said. "He started the war. He mismanaged the war. He escalated the war. And he refuses to end the war."

And there you have it. It's a big applause line. It's Bush's war, and how much does it matter if Clinton has had, uh, varying positions on the war? How much does it matter if she didn't read the NIE report before she made her 2002 vote to authorize force in Iraq? [..]

I don't mean to say Edwards had a bad night. He just didn't have a good enough night. Obama didn't have a bad night. In fact, after his performance in the first debate, all he was trying for was "most improved."

I heard a lot of people saying that Joe Biden did well. You don't need to write that down. Nobody broke out of the second tier, meaning you won't have to read any more Mike Gravel stories.

[T]he headline from this debate is that nobody made up any ground on Clinton.

------------------

The New York Sun emphasizes the differences on the "war on terror", seeming to praise Hillary for what might have been the most ignonimous moment of the debate:

Quote:
Clear differences are emerging among the top three Democratic presidential candidates on security, with Senator Clinton breaking with her rivals in affirming the war on terrorism and declaring that America is safer now than it was six years ago.

[..] John Edwards [..] said he rejected the use of the phrase "war on terror," which he derided as a "bumper sticker". Mr. Obama [..] said that even though the country has not suffered another major terrorist attack since September 11, 2001, "we are living in a more dangerous world, not a less dangerous world, partly as a consequence of this president's actions."

Mrs. Clinton distanced herself from each statement. "I believe we are safer than we were," she [said].

[On] the humanitarian crisis in Darfur, Senator Biden [..] pleaded for swift action, including the possible use of military force [..]. Governor Richardson [..] suggested threatening to boycott the 2008 Olympics in Beijing [..]. Senator Dodd of Connecticut shot down the idea, saying it "goes too far." [..]

Mrs. Clinton [..] appeared to enjoy the exchanges. She laughed at several points during the debate [and] tried her best to deflect much of the criticism onto the Bush administration [..].

"The differences among us are minor," she said, referring to her fellow Democrats on the stage. "The difference between us and the Republicans are major."

That drew disagreement from two of the long shot candidates [..], particularly [..] Michael Gravel, who said the war was "facilitated" by the Democrats. "Sure, it's George Bush's war," he said. "But it's the Democrats' war also." [..]

Point to Gravel, I'd say..

------------------

On the far right, Townhall columnist Patrick Ruffini declares Hillary the loser of the debate, and Edwards the weakest link:

Quote:
Hillary did not do well. Early on, she was outmaneuvered by John Edwards and Barack Obama on the war. Edwards succeeded in portraying himself as the most over-the-top in the anti-war caucus. Obama's put-down of Edwards' Johnny-come-lately approach to the issue won him the exchange. [..]

I have a growing sense that John Edwards is their weakest general election candidate [..]. His inconsistencies are easily defined, nay, laughed at [..]. As he races to be the most left-wing candidate, I keep wondering: where was he in 2004? [..] His run for VP was thoroughly lackluster. He got slapped around the stage by Dick Cheney in the debate. [..]

The key moment in the debate came when Dennis Kucinich said he would take no action if there was actionable intelligence about Osama bin Laden's whereabouts. [..] None of the candidates used this to tee up their Commander-in-Chief credentials in the same way that Ron Paul was drop-kicked in the GOP debate. [..] Obama gave the right answer, but without passion. Inexplicably, Hillary went off on a vague non-sequitur about these being complicated situations [..]. That's the moment where she lost the debate.

If there was a question where even Democrats could show some bite and passion on national security, you'd think it's [..] the fight against al-Qaeda. Save for Joe Biden, I saw none of that this entire debate. [..]

------------------

With such contrasting takes on the debate, does that mean it was a wash? A wash, of course, de facto means a victory for the front runner, Hillary ..
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 07:08 am
This is what "Gambling911" has to say:

Quote:
"I believe we will see some changes in the 2008 US Presidential Elections odds over the next two days," predicts Gambling911.com Political betting analyst, Carrie Stroup. "This may be a good time to get in on Obama at somewhat long odds compared to what they may be in the coming days."

http://www.gambling911.com/Democratic-Debate-New-Hampshire-Obama-060307.html
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 07:24 am
We all want our candidate to smell like a rose, but it ain't the nature of political campaigns for that to happen. For that reason, I rarely watch debates between same party candidates. Saving partisanship for the general election.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 07:42 am
bushco is going to make moves in the next year to ensure the continuation of itself so it's all a moot point. We will pay the price. We've let it go this far and we've passed fail safe short of armed insurrection.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 08:22 am
BBB
The challenge by Obama to Blitzer's stupid question was my favorite of the evening.---BBB

MR. BLITZER: All right. We're going to move on to the next question. But before we do, one related question. And I'm going to periodically ask you to raise your hand if you agree or you -- if you agree with the question.

And I want you to raise your hand if you believe English should be the official language of the United States. (Pause.) The only hand I see is Senator Gravel.

MR. GRAVEL: Yeah. We speak English. That doesn't mean we can't encourage other languages. I speak French and English. People speak Spanish and English. But the official language of the United States of America is English.

SEN. OBAMA: Can I just make a point, though? I have to say that that kind of question -- (applause) --

MR. BLITZER: All right, hold on.

SEN. OBAMA: This is the kind of question that is designed precisely to divide us. You know, you're right, everybody --

MR. GRAVEL: I'm already --

SEN. OBAMA: Everybody is going to learn to speak English if they live in this country. The issue is not whether or not future generations of immigrants are going to learn English. The question is, how can we come up with both a legal, sensible immigration policy.

And when we get distracted by those kinds of questions, I think we do a disservice to the American people. (Applause.)

SEN. CLINTON: Wolf, let --

MR. BLITZER: All right. Hold on. We're going to save our applause till the end, please.

Senator Clinton.

SEN. CLINTON: Wolf, let me add that we faced that in the Senate last year, as to whether we would or would not vote for it. The problem is that if it becomes official, instead of recognized as national, which indeed it is, it is our national language, if it becomes official, that means in a place like New York City you can't print ballots in any other language. That means you can't have government pay for translators in hospitals so when somebody comes in with some sort of emergency there's nobody there to help translate what their problem is for the doctors.

So many of us -- I did, at least -- voted to say that English was our national language but not the official language because of the legal consequences of that.

MR. BLITZER: Senator Dodd, you know most of the polls show an overwhelming majority of the American public favors making English the official language of the United States.

SEN. DODD: Well, I think the points that have been made by Barack Obama and Hillary are very, very important here. This is the kind of question that does divide us.

Just a related point here. We need to be encouraging more language training in our country. At the time of the 9/11 attacks here, we had advertisements running in national newspapers for anybody who could speak Arabic here. We have too few of our people in this country that can understand second languages. This is the 21st century. This is a global economy. We need to encourage more diversity in that. Certainly we have a national language here.

MR. BLITZER: All right.

SEN. DODD: I speak fluent Spanish, along with Bill Richardson. I'm proud of the fact I speak two languages. But we ought to be encouraging more of that in the country and not talking about how we have one official language in our nation.

MR. BLITZER: We're going to --

SEN. DODD: That's not helping our country.
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 01:50 pm
Re: BBB
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
SEN. CLINTON: Wolf, let --

MR. BLITZER: All right. Hold on. We're going to save our applause till the end, please.

Senator Clinton.

SEN. CLINTON: Wolf, let me add that we faced that in the Senate last year, as to whether we would or would not vote for it. The problem is that if it becomes official, instead of recognized as national, which indeed it is, it is our national language, if it becomes official, that means in a place like New York City you can't print ballots in any other language. That means you can't have government pay for translators in hospitals so when somebody comes in with some sort of emergency there's nobody there to help translate what their problem is for the doctors.

So many of us -- I did, at least -- voted to say that English was our national language but not the official language because of the legal consequences of that.

I really liked this response by Clinton. I didn't understand the potential legal ramifications of making English an offical language. I was a supporter of this in the past, but if what she says is true, I no longer am.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 04:50 pm
Arianna Huffington: Why Hillary Clinton Was the Winner of the Democratic Debate Hillary Clinton won because she arrived at the debate as the front-runner -- with a widening lead in national polls -- and left the debate with her position solidified. Her success was due in part to what she did during the debate, and in part to what Barack Obama failed to do. Particularly his failure to challenge Clinton's statements about the war, and his allowing her to get away with making the astounding claim that "we are safer than we were" before 9/11 -- something that is simply not true.
link Ariana's take.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 05:56 pm
nimh quoting pundits wrote:

Edwards probably did himself the most good.

He looked tanned and confident during the session.
He argued forcefully for quickly ending the war in Iraq and for his national health care plan. He tweaked Clinton and Obama for not speaking more forcefully against the war. [..]

Perhaps Edwards was just responding to the critics asking whether he's Black enough... Wink
0 Replies