The Last Thing You Put In Your Mouth....

farmerman

Reply Thu 18 May, 2017 07:09 pm
@ossobucotemp,
Quote:
and soon will start to make refrigerator soup.

Do you cut it up, or just cook the refrigerator whole?
ossobucotemp

Reply Thu 18 May, 2017 07:32 pm
@farmerman,
laughing..

When I make a soup of whatever ingredients, since I'm just one person and don't snarf a lot of food these days, I have leftovers. The leftovers get doctored with more ingredients and often get to taste better (or lesser) than the first soup. Naturally, I recook the soup, not for too long but enough to deal with any new and exciting germs from the fridge or air.. This can be dumb if you are trying to make soup with fresh shrimp or other delicacies, but otherwise usually works for a few renditions.
My small freezer storage is an exercise in puzzlement, though I have learned over years to label every damned thing. Most of the time.

Sometimes my soup becomes Bread Soup, an italian specialty, now forget the ital name. Well, here's one: www.seriouseats.com/.../tuscan-tomato-bread-soup-pappa-al-pomodoro.
hawkeye10

Reply Fri 19 May, 2017 03:24 am
@ossobucotemp,
ossobucotemp wrote:

laughing..

When I make a soup of whatever ingredients, since I'm just one person and don't snarf a lot of food these days, I have leftovers. The leftovers get doctored with more ingredients and often get to taste better (or lesser) than the first soup. Naturally, I recook the soup, not for too long but enough to deal with any new and exciting germs from the fridge or air.. This can be dumb if you are trying to make soup with fresh shrimp or other delicacies, but otherwise usually works for a few renditions.
My small freezer storage is an exercise in puzzlement, though I have learned over years to label every damned thing. Most of the time.

Sometimes my soup becomes Bread Soup, an italian specialty, now forget the ital name. Well, here's one: www.seriouseats.com/.../tuscan-tomato-bread-soup-pappa-al-pomodoro.

Two reheats over a week tends to work, but I dont tend to want to eat soup that much. We have been doing a lot of "street tacos", leftover protein on two corn tortillas heated in the skillet with what over we have around, often with some fresh fried tortilla chips before. ...very fresh, very cheap, very fun. I do hope you have some good bread with that soup, we have to maintain standards you know. Wink
Builder

Reply Fri 19 May, 2017 03:48 am
Roasted cashews, and cold beer.
tsarstepan

Reply Fri 19 May, 2017 07:13 am
@Builder,
Mug of wonderful iced coffee (one half French Roast, one half French vanilla).
0 Replies

ossobucotemp

Reply Fri 19 May, 2017 06:04 pm
@hawkeye10,
Yes, of course. I've been making my own bread for years, usually though not always from recipes by Carol Field's The Italian Baker. I particularly like the Terni recipe, but I've tried at least twenty of them over the years.

I've tapered off with my own baking, and now allow myself to buy reasonably ok whole grain seed bread from the closest market. Ms. Picky sometimes flags in her efforts.

I used to follow Nancy Silverton (of La Brea bakery fame), sort of. A friend actually baked all the stuff in her book (I think the first).

On tacos, I do like them, but I make more burritos. There's a taco thread now - I forget the title.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 22 May, 2017 11:00 am
a cup of tea with 1.5 Tavist tablets

it's high season for allergies here - everything itches Evil or Very Mad Crying or Very sad Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

chirchri

Reply Mon 22 May, 2017 08:34 pm
@Dorothy Parker,
chipsssssss
TomTomBinks

Reply Mon 22 May, 2017 09:42 pm
@chirchri,
Hot black tea
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 23 May, 2017 06:39 am
@TomTomBinks,
Also a cup of black tea. A brew of Paris from Harney and Sons.
http://www.annmarie.com/assets/images/products/harney/35009_copy.jpg
TomTomBinks

Reply Tue 23 May, 2017 08:50 am
@tsarstepan,
Just plain old Lipton, here. I'll have to try some other brands to expand my tea-drinking palate.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 23 May, 2017 09:00 am
@TomTomBinks,
Try this, (Liptons is pretty naff actually.) This is an old Morecombe and Wise sketch they're referencing.

farmerman

Reply Tue 23 May, 2017 09:52 am
@izzythepush,
we grow our own herbal teas. When I must drink something that contains fermented Assam teas, I love Harney and Sons teas. They make really flavorful teas(probably soaked with chemical essences what with the way foods are processed these days)
Still the Harney Cinnamon and Ornge with black tea needs no sugar and is vry flvorful. I assume that ALL teas are either British or SA Asian brands
izzythepush

Reply Tue 23 May, 2017 09:53 am
@farmerman,
Never heard of Harney and Sons. Twinings is the posh brand over here.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 23 May, 2017 09:55 am
@farmerman,
I think the best teas are those made for the Russian market.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 23 May, 2017 09:57 am
@izzythepush,
Twinings is good drinking! Very Happy Easier to find (grocery store wise) than Harney. I ordered my current stash of tea (shipping free) online.
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 23 May, 2017 10:01 am
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

I think the best teas are those made for the Russian market.

One of my favorite blends was a Russian Georgian blend from a tea company that went out of business years ago. Trying to find the particulars online, I stumbled onto the fact some company exists online that claims to share the history/pedigree of that store.
Rohrs
ehBeth

Reply Tue 23 May, 2017 10:08 am
@tsarstepan,
Twinings Ultra Spice Chai is very nice. Not as good as the Masala Chai that was blended for Teany but definitely the best grocery-store level chai.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 23 May, 2017 10:43 am
@tsarstepan,
I discovered that WALMART carries Harney teas. (As well as a huge selection of brands Ive never heqrd of)
tsarstepan

Reply Tue 23 May, 2017 10:50 am
@farmerman,
Thanks anyways. There ain't any Walmarts in NYC.
0 Replies