Why aren’t they all just considered ridiculous?

Setanta

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 12:57 pm
White i am--all the Irish are as white as humans can get.

I am not Anglo-Saxon, and am no less Irish than you.

I am not and never have been Protestant. I was raised Catholic, but gave it up for Lent in 1965--and i've kept that resolution faithfully ever since.

. . . bloody stupid Paddy.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 01:05 pm
Gasp! I'm Irish
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 02:09 pm
Setanta wrote:
The snarling is all in your imagination, you overrate your significance to me.

"You great barking hypocrite" counts as snarling no matter what your disposition at the time of uttering it was. So you snarled with equanimity..

Setanta wrote:
If you claim that you do consistently object to their tone and their remarks, i would be willing to withdraw the remark, but i suspect that you have not done so. [..] Because you found reason to comment here, but you have been more notable by your absence than your presence when these sorts of squabbles break out, i was, and remain, willing to characterize you as hypocritical, at least with regard to this topic.

What is the logic in here? If I havent "consistently" commented on each and every rude person on board, it would be hypocritical to ask you about your rudeness now? Really?

(Mind you, all I did was ask about it - its not even like I went off at you about it or anything.)

Meanwhile, all of this sound and fury completely ignores my actual question.

nimh wrote:
I mean, this is what I'm talking about. If I were to ask a question like the one I asked above, which was asked without any hint of impoliteness or even confrontationality, when meeting you at an A2K gathering, would you have snarled, you "great barking hypocrite", right off the bat like that?

I dont believe it for a second - from what Ive heard, you are a consistently friendly, charming, boisterous person when met "live".

So why would you do so here?
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 02:40 pm
Setanta wrote:
I have also posted several times in this thread that this is a discussion site, and that anyone who posts anything on any topic cannot expect to get only the responses they like.
I doubt I'd bother posting if all I got was simple agreement.
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 02:55 pm
Chumly wrote:
Setanta wrote:
I have also posted several times in this thread that this is a discussion site, and that anyone who posts anything on any topic cannot expect to get only the responses they like.

Is that a hint?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 02:56 pm
Answers-dot-com wrote:
snarl v. , snarled , snarling , snarls . v.intr. To growl viciously while baring the teeth. To speak angrily or threateningly.

You can believe what you like, but you haven't made a case about snarling. All i see is what ought to be embarrassing evidence of your lack of a complete command of the English language.

I have several times in this thread explained why i consider an online discussion venue to be a different circumstance than speaking to someone face to face. If you can't be arsed to read my explanations, i can't be arsed to explain it to you all over again.

I haven't claimed that you need to show up every time someone is being rude (which would be a matter of opinion at all events)--i have just pointed out that i've seen no evidence that you consistently show up to condemn believers for their comments to and about non-believers. For example, there was John Creasy's thread entitled "Atheists... Your life is pointless." That one ought to have been obvious--and yet i've just gone through the first 20 pages of that thread, and haven't found a post from you. I wonder why that is? Could it be that you just showed up in this thread to sneer at the people who were participating, without actually knowing what was going on in the thread. Without actually reading the thread. Let's see, what did you write?

nimh wrote:
Wow. Filling 18 pages about how stupid religious believers are? Whats the point?

And in case some smart aleck asks, whats the point of my post here: it's wondering why people get such satisfaction from smacking down believers that they'd fill 18 pages with it.

Yeah, it looks to me as though you just showed up to dis people without actually reading the thread.

Great barking hypocrite.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 03:14 pm
George wrote:
Chumly wrote:
Setanta wrote:
Is that a hint?
Are you religious?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 03:16 pm
Chumly wrote:
George wrote:
Chumly wrote:
Setanta wrote:
Is that a hint?
Are you religious?
I disagree
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 03:17 pm
neologist wrote:
Chumly wrote:
George wrote:
Chumly wrote:
Setanta wrote:
Is that a hint?
Are you religious?
I disagree
agreed
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 03:19 pm
Chumly wrote:
neologist wrote:
Chumly wrote:
George wrote:
Chumly wrote:
Setanta wrote:
Is that a hint?
Are you religious?
I disagree
agreed

i agree that this thread has devolved into nested quotes silliness
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 03:40 pm
Setanta wrote:
Chumly wrote:
neologist wrote:
Chumly wrote:
George wrote:
Chumly wrote:
Setanta wrote:
Is that a hint?
Are you religious?
I disagree
agreed

Not MY fault
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 03:51 pm
neologist wrote:
Setanta wrote:
Chumly wrote:
neologist wrote:
Chumly wrote:
George wrote:
Chumly wrote:
Setanta wrote:
Is that a hint?
Are you religious?
I disagree
agreed

Not MY fault
Nonsense . . . it was your pig-headed religiosity which created this mess in the first place . . . quote nester . . .
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 04:22 pm
Setanta wrote:
neologist wrote:
Setanta wrote:
Chumly wrote:
neologist wrote:
Chumly wrote:
George wrote:
Chumly wrote:
Setanta wrote:
Is that a hint?
Are you religious?
I disagree
agreed

Not MY fault
Nonsense . . . it was your pig-headed religiosity which created this mess in the first place . . . quote nester . . .
Razz
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 04:23 pm
Guilt is carried by those that accept it, I have no cross to bear.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 04:39 pm
I wanted to see how long it would take for the center quote to disappear.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 04:43 pm
Like a mote in god's eye.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 06:18 pm
I said:

Quote:
Would it constrain or change your words if you had to look someone in the eyes and say 'your imaginary god/friend is hogwash, just like the tooth fairy and Santa'?

Setanta said:

Quote:
No, it would not constrain me, but at the same time, i do not discuss the subject of religion publicly, unless it is forced upon me.

I said:

Quote:
You say that you will not discuss religion in real life unless forced into it.

Setanta said:

Quote:

I haven't said that i won't discuss religion in "real life" unless forced into it

And also:

Quote:
I don't "flee" such discussions in everyday life,

And (best of all):

Quote:
If that's what you think, Snood, PM me with a time and a place we can meet and we'll work it out so that you can show me just what a Christian soldier and hero you really are.

(Oh, it IS to laugh)

Thank you nimh and georgeob1, and Phoenix, and neologist, for your reasonable and stimulating responses.

And thank you Setanta, for showing yourself as a bigger horse's ass and loser bully/punk than I could ever hoped to have done.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 07:23 pm
Setanta wrote:
Answers-dot-com wrote:
snarl v. , snarled , snarling , snarls . v.intr. To growl viciously while baring the teeth. To speak angrily or threateningly.

You can believe what you like, but you haven't made a case about snarling. All i see is what ought to be embarrassing evidence of your lack of a complete command of the English language.

<blinks, then laughs>

"Embarrassing evidence of my lack of a complete command of the English language"? Are you serious? Why in heavens name should a Dutchman be embarassed for supposedly not getting the exact definition of the English word "snarl" right?

And you're not even correct! "Growling viciously" sounds like a perfect description for yelling, right from the bat, "you great barking hypocrite" at someone who only ever asked a politely-worded question. It doesnt matter a iota whether you were actually angry or not - the description is of demeanour, not of motivation or underlying feeling. You can easily "speak angrily" without actually being angry, as any actor (or parent or boss or whatever) will know.

Here: I am feeling quite cheerful, and - as you could have seen had we been on a webcam connection - I can yet do the most convincing snarl!

<bares his teeth and growls ferociously>

I mean, seriously. Laughing You're picking up on this rather than having to answer a simple friggin' question?
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 07:28 pm
I also have this, related question to Set - I'd typed it out before but hadnt posted it yet, as I didnt want to distract attention from the other question straight away.

----

Earlier in this thread, Phoenix asked why you used certain words that are guaranteed to upset the other party, when you could just as well have used a more neutral word that means the same thing. She wrote:

Phoenix32890 wrote:
Setanta wrote:
In real life, no i would not barge into someone's imaginary friend superstition classroom to point out to them that that is what it is. By the same token, if some joker shows up on my doorstep or accosts me in public (and both of those circumstances are sufficiently common that i speak from a long experience), they have created the situation, and needn't whine if they don't like being told that their imaginary friend superstition is a superstition.

Setanta- Your post illustrates exactly to what I am referring. [..] Here is how it could be reworded, saying basically the same thing, but, IMO, not geared to eliciting strong emotional reactions from the reader.

Quote:
In real life, no i would not barge into someone's religion class to point out to them that I believe that I think that their beliefs are superstition. By the same token, if someone shows up on my doorstep or accosts me in public (and both of those circumstances are sufficiently common that i speak from a long experience), they have created the situation, and needn't whine if they don't like being told that their beliefs, IMO, are superstition.

Your response to Phoenix was short, clear, and to the point:

Setanta wrote:
Those are distinctions without differences, Phoenix

Well, quite. I think that was her point. There is indeed no difference in the meaning of what is said here.

The only difference between the two versions is their effect. Your version is guaranteed to immediately make the opponent stop listening and revert to a defensive grouch/crouch right from the bat. Her version says the same thing, without immediately triggering personal anger.

So there you are. You say yourself that there is no difference in meaning between the two versions. So seeing that, why do you then actively choose the one that is certain to offend most?

In all fairness, further down in your post to Phoenix you do submit this argument for doing so:

Setanta wrote:
[Religious people] can avoid that unpleasantness very easily by not accosting me to discuss their superstitions with me. I don't go looking for fights to pick about religion, but if such are forced on me, i will use every weapon at my disposal, and i will hope to draw blood.

But this explanation doesn't hold for most of the A2K discussions you're in. Unless someone comes into a thread you're in and addresses his religious argument at you, like you say Snood and Intrepid have done, this is not a fight that came to you.

When you click on a thread by RexRed or whoever in S&R, in order to tell them that they are bone-headed and deluded, you are quite voluntarily entering the fray of your own volition; nothing is being "forced on you".

So why, then, the attempt to "draw blood" straight away anyway?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Sat 2 Jun, 2007 05:36 am
nimh- Thanks- I am glad that you got my point.

Years ago, I vaguely remember an English lesson that I had in school which illustrated how by using words that are either positive, neutral or negative, you can say the same thing, but with very different emotional tones.

For instance:

I am thrifty.
You are frugal.
He is stingy.

I am slender
You are thin
He is skinny

I think that one of the important things on A2K is to keep the discussion on topic, (when it is a serious subject), and not get into pissing contests, which I think happens a lot on both the religion and political forums.

I don't think that raising someone's hackles adds anything to a conversation. On the contrary, IMO it diminishes the credibility of the writer who uses inflammatory language.

I could make a remark about overweening testosterone levels, but I supppose then I would be guilty about doing the same thing against which I am arguing! :wink:
0 Replies