Why aren’t they all just considered ridiculous?

sozobe

Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 09:13 am
Re: Why aren't they all just considered ridiculous?
What venom? The title and the entire first page, for starters.

I'm not accusing you of venom, no, but I'm responding on a thread that carries the title "Why aren't they ALL just considered ridiculous?" (emphasis mine) and that started with:

Chumly wrote:
Why aren't Christians / Jews / Moslems / Buddhists etc simply considered to be eccentric, crazy and ridiculous?

Then the entire first page continues in that vein; Joe talking about religion (in general) as a con, Chumly stating that people who chose to pray before dinner in the privacy of their own homes are loons, etc.

It's not the strongest brand of venom I've seen, no, but it groups everyone who is religious together, not singling out wild-eyed bible thumpers.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 09:20 am
OK, sure, but you are missing or ignoring two points.

My post simply responded to the end of the post in which Snood pasted somebody else's screed, and i was only responding to the question he asked at the end of that post--so, what venom? I wasn't spewing any venom.

The second thing you are ignoring is that this site is a place for people to discuss things and to vent their virtual spleens. Perhaps other people are spewing venom at all religions and all religious people. Fine, then quote them, and respond to them, and accuse them of posting venom--don't take it out on me. And while you are doing that, keep in mind that the venom is virtual, it is dancing electrons--this is not about people going around in the real world venting their spleens and throwing venom at religious people.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 09:38 am
What the heck? I wasn't taking anything out on you. And I specifically said I wasn't accusing you of spewing venom.

To review:

Chumly starts a thread called "Why aren't they all just considered ridiculous?" Various people agree that religious people are ridiculous for believing what they do.

Snood -- as a response, presumably on-topic, to this thread -- posts something from Byron Williams pointing out the flaws in a similar case that was made by Christopher Hitchens. Snood winds up his post by asking, "Can't we all get along?"

You respond, "Unfortunately, no we cannot."

The thread is about religious people, in general. The blog that Snood posted was about Hitchens' scorn for religious people, in general. ("For Hitchens, it is intellectually inconsistent for critical thinking to coexist with deeply held spiritual values.")

So, I took your post in context.

Eh, whatever. I hope this clarifies things, but if not, I'm not interested in continuing this tangent.

In terms of this thread: Yes, wild-eyed bible-thumpers scare me. No, I don't think all religious people are ridiculous.
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 10:00 am
There have been times in my life when I wished I was a person of faith. Times when it would have been much simpler for me to shrug and accept my current reality as "God's will". Those times have been few and, fortunately, they represented transient episodes of my personal reality -- life sucks sometimes.

Working in a hospital was another time and place where I saw many people of faith take the news of their life's end as a 'step on the path' whereas others faced it with fear and anguish. It certainly isn't black and white or either/or, but there are times when having faith in a larger realm makes living this life a tad easier.

I don't begrudge people of faith their beliefs, so long as those beliefs don't infringe on my ability to live my life in the way I choose. Like Set, I think fundamentalists of all religions (even atheism when practiced as a religion that would preclude others from living a life of faith) are a dangerous breed and their presence and desire to invoke their will on others precludes the possibility of mutual tolerance and respect by all people.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 01:00 pm
Soz:

Quote:
In terms of this thread: Yes, wild-eyed bible-thumpers scare me. No, I don't think all religious people are ridiculous.

I concur (and not just about "bible-thumpers". About any overzealous people, including atheists). And I don't think all religious people are ridiculous.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 04:38 pm
Snood and Sozobe: On your personal ridiculosity scale, (or oddness scale, or whatever word you prefer,) how does belief in the Abrahamic god compare to a belief in snake oil being able to heal diseases, or in Uri Geller being able to bend spoons? Personally I find all three beliefs about equally odd, equally overreaching in their claims, equal in the dearth of evidence supporting the claims. From the tone of your posts, it seems that you find a belief in the Abrahamic god less strange than a belief in spoon-bending and so forth. I'd be curious to hear why. What distinction do you see between these beliefs?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 04:58 pm
I don't think religious people are all ridiculous. That seems obvious enough as to be axiomatic, to me.

I think that the concept of "faith" includes the idea that sure, this might not be literally true. However, there are elements of being religious -- the calming effects of prayer, the community aspects of going to church, etc -- that people find worthwhile, without necessarily a literal belief that there is a guy with a white beard who will smite people who are unworthy.

The ones who don't think this way -- who think it's all literally true and that everyone should believe this literal truth, and put some effort into making that happen -- are the ones that bother me. That's Uri Geller saying no, really, I'm bending the spoons, don't you believe me, it's TRUE! I don't like either one.

The vast majority of religious people I know are not like that, though. It's a personal thing, for them. I see no problem there, and think that entering their personal space and calling them ridiculous is just another version of the people I refer to in the preceding paragraph.

Do you think all literary fiction is "ridiculous"? It's not true, after all. Or does it serve a purpose of some kind?
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 05:34 pm
I must confess that I frequently find the posts of non believers to be ridiculous. I refer to the ready acceptance of the most sophomoric straw men and pathetic clinging to any excuse for moral license.

One example: the insistence of many that an all powerful god must know all things by necessity . . .
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 07:22 pm
neologist wrote:
I must confess that I frequently find the posts of non believers to be ridiculous. I refer to the ready acceptance of the most sophomoric straw men and pathetic clinging to any excuse for moral license.

One example: the insistence of many that an all powerful god must know all things by necessity . . .

U never heard of the all-knowing God?

Where have you been?

God knows what's in all mens/womens hearts.

You do not believe God is omniscient?

I believe it is the Christians, not the atheist, who make the claim that God is all powerful and all knowing.

http://lookinguntojesus.net/ata20030330.htm
0 Replies

Diest TKO

Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 07:41 pm
I agree Xingu, it's not the claim of the non-believer that god is all-knowing, that claim is made by the believer. Neo, if you have a problem with this idea, you need to take it to the horses mouth.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 07:44 pm
agreeing
with
sozobe;
back
when
I
can
make
(occasional)
coherent
sentences.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 09:43 pm
sozobe wrote:
I see plenty of reasons why perfectly sane and nice people would be religious.
Imagination, fantasy, ignorance, fear, societal/peer pressure, tradition, gullibility, yearning for convenient "truths", lack of scientific understanding, desire for easy answers, foolishness, etc. The list goes on. Those reasons may well elicit sympathy but that's not justification to not consider Christians / Jews / Moslems / Buddhists to be eccentric, crazy and ridiculous.

Further as discuused those reasons are not justification for people whom one would surmise would know better than to take them seriously.

Naturally it's understood my text is within the context of their belief systems so whether they are "nice" or not is not germane.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 09:52 pm
xingu wrote:
neologist wrote:

U never heard of the all-knowing God?

Where have you been?

God knows what's in all mens/womens hearts.

You do not believe God is omniscient?

I believe it is the Christians, not the atheist, who make the claim that God is all powerful and all knowing.

http://lookinguntojesus.net/ata20030330.htm
Diest TKO wrote:
I agree Xingu, it's not the claim of the non-believer that god is all-knowing, that claim is made by the believer. Neo, if you have a problem with this idea, you need to take it to the horses mouth.
I have often said the atheists have no need to invent straw men when the priests create them in abundance. But the fact is that it should be obvious that God has no more necessity to know our individual moral outcomes than you or I have to read the last page of the whodunit.

The idea of necessary omniscience plays well into the hands of those who are selling predestination and reprobation. These folks have are reaching for your pockets folks, and their sermons don't come from the bible.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 09:57 pm
Sozobe,
why would you would distort what I said given how easy it is to re-quote?
sozobe wrote:
Chumly stating that people who chose to pray before dinner in the privacy of their own homes are loons, etc.
Here is what in fact I said
Chumly wrote:
So what do you folk do at Christmas if by chance some of your relatives wish to pray before dinner and they look at you in such a manner as to suggest you better get with the program?

Do you show them the same response you would a run-of-the-mill loon?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 12:12 am
Thomas wrote:
Snood and Sozobe: On your personal ridiculosity scale, (or oddness scale, or whatever word you prefer,) how does belief in the Abrahamic god compare to a belief in snake oil being able to heal diseases, or in Uri Geller being able to bend spoons? Personally I find all three beliefs about equally odd, equally overreaching in their claims, equal in the dearth of evidence supporting the claims. From the tone of your posts, it seems that you find a belief in the Abrahamic god less strange than a belief in spoon-bending and so forth. I'd be curious to hear why. What distinction do you see between these beliefs?

I'm not sure what you mean by the "tone" of my posts, but my meaning was not obscure - I wasn't trying to comment on the intrinsic worth (or lack of it) of anyone's "beliefs". I was saying that I don't like it when people get too overbearing about any belief (including the belief that there is no god).
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 12:24 am
sozobe wrote:
I don't think religious people are all ridiculous. That seems obvious enough as to be axiomatic, to me.

I agree. Chumly was wrong to take it out on the people who believe. He would have had a much stronger case if he had asked if all beliefs are ridiculous -- which I think is what he probably meant.

Sozobe wrote:
The ones who don't think this way -- who think it's all literally true and that everyone should believe this literal truth, and put some effort into making that happen -- are the ones that bother me. That's Uri Geller saying no, really, I'm bending the spoons, don't you believe me, it's TRUE! I don't like either one.

Well, but that's what believing means: to think that what you read in this book is true. I agree that people who believe the Bible and the Koran are true are scary. But they are scary precisely because they take their holy books seriously. The Abrahamic god described in the Bible and the Koran is the scariest, most murderous, most pathetic character in all fiction. By joining the Jewish, Christian, or Islamic religion, one professes that the Bible or the Q'uran is in some sense true, and the god they describe in some sense good. And that's a scary and ridiculous thing in itself, given the nature of the god worshipped. Once you say you're a Jew, a Christian, or a Muslim, then, you are locked into two undesirable choices. You can believe the stuff in those books and become the kind of person who endorses suicide bombing. Or you can be a good, helpful person by being hypocritical about believing in your holy scripture.

Sozobe wrote:
The vast majority of religious people I know are not like that, though. It's a personal thing, for them. I see no problem there, and think that entering their personal space and calling them ridiculous is just another version of the people I refer to in the preceding paragraph.

Again, I agree that most people who nominally believe in the Abrahamic God are not ridiculous. But that's because they ignore so much of the book that they say is holy to them. Because they deliberately misinterpret other parts of the "holy" text to tease out the opposite of its message. For example, I admire the civil rights movement, and know that it derived much of its spiritual power from a theologically liberal protestant Christianity. But as a matter of Bible interpretation, Martin Luther King was just plain wrong. There is no way a rational person can read the Bible as anything other than a Pro-Slavery book.

Sozobe wrote:
Do you think all literary fiction is "ridiculous"? It's not true, after all. Or does it serve a purpose of some kind?

Oh, I'm not saying the Bible is a bad read. Large parts of it entertain me, just as Peter Pan entertained me in my childhood, and American Psycho entertained me in my late teens.

But if a group of people started up religions worshipping Captain Hook and Patrick Bateman, I would find that both ridiculous and scary. And my opinion would improve only a little if theologically liberal Hookists and Batemanists emerged later in the religion's history. If they asserted that Hook and Bateman are really good guys who pursued the opposite of the ends that the holy books clearly described them to pursue. I would consider the literalist Hookism dangerously foolish and the liberal Hookism harmlessly so. But I'd consider each denomination foolish.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 12:28 am
Thomas wrote:
I agree. Chumly was wrong to take it out on the people who believe. He would have had a much stronger case if he had asked if all beliefs are ridiculous -- which I think is what he probably meant.
See above as my text is within the context of their belief systems despite some silly protestations and distortions.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 12:30 am
snood wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean by the "tone" of my posts, but my meaning was not obscure - I wasn't trying to comment on the intrinsic worth (or lack of it) of anyone's "beliefs". I was saying that I don't like it when people get too overbearing about any belief (including the belief that there is no god).

Would you find it overbearing If I said that Uri Geller cannot in fact bend spoons by thinking? Would you find it more overbearing if I said that Moses did not in fact bring plagues upon Egypt, that Mary was not in fact a virgin, and that Jesus did not in fact rise from the dead?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 12:57 am
No, Thomas - I don't think I could care less what you say about Uri Geller. What I mean by overbearing is christians who constantly tell people they're going to hell for not jumping through whatever particular dognatic hoop, or atheists who speak to anyone faithful as if they are drooling idiots. I don't think I'm trying to make a subtle point - are you sure you're not complicating it needlessly?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 01:08 am
snood wrote:
No, Thomas - I don't think I could care less what you say about Uri Geller. What I mean by overbearing is christians who constantly tell people they're going to hell for not jumping through whatever particular dognatic hoop, or atheists who speak to anyone faithful as if they are drooling idiots. I don't think I'm trying to make a subtle point - are you sure you're not complicating it needlessly?

I don't think so. I'm just curious where you draw the line between valid criticism and being oberbearing.
0 Replies