Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 09:06 am
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,166 • Replies: 29
No top replies

CowDoc

Reply Sun 27 May, 2007 11:42 am
...and, at the same time, the House rejected the Senate effort to reauthorize the Secure Rural Schools and Communities Act and fully fund the property taxes the government should pay on federal lands. Thus, they assured that rural western counties will have no money to pay for the services required by the illegal immigrants who will flock to fill the jobs that pay less than seven dollars an hour.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 28 May, 2007 08:31 am
Secure Rural Schools and Community Self Determination Act
CowDoc wrote:
...and, at the same time, the House rejected the Senate effort to reauthorize the Secure Rural Schools and Communities Act and fully fund the property taxes the government should pay on federal lands. Thus, they assured that rural western counties will have no money to pay for the services required by the illegal immigrants who will flock to fill the jobs that pay less than seven dollars an hour.

Secure Rural Schools and Community Self Determination Act
Titles II and III
BY CAROL DALY, JULY 2006

Since 1908 the federal government has paid the states between one-quarter and one-half of the revenues received from National Forest System lands, with the payments to be used (primarily for schools and road maintenance) by the counties in which those federal lands are located. The steep decline in federal timber sales since the late 1980's thus decreased those local governments' revenues as well. In response, Congress passed the "Secure Schools" Act in 2000 to stabilize payments to counties to "make additional investments in, and create additional employment opportunities through projects that improve the maintenance of existing infrastructure, implement stewardship objectives that enhance forest ecosystems, and restore and improve land health and water quality."

Participating counties may elect to use up to twenty percent of the funds received for Special Projects on Federal Lands (Title II) or County Projects (Title III). Title II requires the creation of a broadly-representative Resource Advisory Committee (RAC) that reviews projects proposed by the county or other entities and makes funding recommendations. The Forest Service implements the projects and is responsible for complying with all applicable laws, including the National Environmental Policy Act and the Endangered Species Act. Project funds can used for cooperative agreements with other government agencies, private and nonprofit entities, and landowners for protection, restoration and enhancement of fish and wildlife habitat, and other resource objectives. Projects may be conducted on non-federal land if they benefit resources on federal lands. Best value contracting may be used in awarding Title II contracts.

Project proposals can be prepared and submitted through the national "Payments to States" website , which also provides contact information for each RAC, as well as the names of RAC members and designated agency officials for the program.

Title III projects are conducted directly by electing counties, and may fund search, rescue, and emergency services; community service work camps; forest-related after school programs; the purchase of easements for conservation or to provide non-motorized access to public lands for recreational purposes; education of homeowners about wildfire and techniques for reducing potential losses; community planning efforts to increase the protection of people and property from wildfire, and payment of the non-federal match for the Forest Service's Urban and Community Forestry Assistance programs.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 08:25 am
great day for America's middle class," said Rep. George Miller, D-Calif., chairman of the House Education and Labor Committee. "America's workers have been waiting for a raise for a long time."

This Rep is BRILLIANT.

So 4% make less than 7.25/hr. These 4% get a about a 28% raise.

And this is a GREAT DAY FOR THE MIDDLE CLASS how?

Rep Miller apparently thinks middle class is anyoine making $7/hr?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 08:33 am
woiyo wrote:
great day for America's middle class," said Rep. George Miller, D-Calif., chairman of the House Education and Labor Committee. "America's workers have been waiting for a raise for a long time."

This Rep is BRILLIANT.

It doesn't just raise the rates for the lowest, but for many others - especially in construction - who get paid a certain amount above the minimum wage.

It goes up, their wages go up. Not difficult to figure out

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 08:54 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
woiyo wrote:

This Rep is BRILLIANT.

It doesn't just raise the rates for the lowest, but for many others - especially in construction - who get paid a certain amount above the minimum wage.

Cycloptichorn

Good drugs today, eh Cyclo?

Where in that article does it say anything about anyone in construction getting an increase?

I am glad you agree with Rep Miller that anyone making minimum wage is considered middle class. Pretty arrogant statement from some knothead in Congress.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 09:02 am
BBB
"Pretty arrogant statement from some knothead in Congress."

Another uninformed statement from a no-nothing poster.

BBB
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 09:12 am
woiyo wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
woiyo wrote:

This Rep is BRILLIANT.

Cycloptichorn

Where in that article does it say anything about anyone in construction getting an increase?

I am glad you agree with Rep Miller that anyone making minimum wage is considered middle class. Pretty arrogant statement from some knothead in Congress.

Woiyo, can you read?

Many in the Construction industry have their wages indexed to the minimum wage. This isn't written in the article, but it's a fact nonetheless. When minimum wages go up, their wages will rise as well.

Sigh

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 10:58 am
Re: BBB
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
"Pretty arrogant statement from some knothead in Congress."

Another uninformed statement from a no-nothing poster.

BBB
Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 10:59 am
Woiyo, are you stupid, or just ignorant?
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 10:59 am
Cycloptichorn wrote:
woiyo wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
woiyo wrote:

This Rep is BRILLIANT.

Cycloptichorn

Woiyo, can you read?

Many in the Construction industry have their wages indexed to the minimum wage. This isn't written in the article, but it's a fact nonetheless. When minimum wages go up, their wages will rise as well.

Sigh

Cycloptichorn

Right, whatever you say! Rolling Eyes

Great Day for the Middle Class !
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 11:14 am
Quote:
This is a great day for America's middle class," said Rep. George Miller, D-Calif.

Middle class? Making $5-7/hr? I'd call these folks the lower class, or how "low can you go" class!

The real middle class are making in the ball park of $75,000+/year.
Embarrassed
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 11:21 am
And the best is yet to come. After the raise is given to the workers, companies like Walmart and others will compensate by cuting hours, jobs and in fact, they'll go so far as to close regional stores.

Then what?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 12:26 pm
Miller wrote:
And the best is yet to come. After the raise is given to the workers, companies like Walmart and others will compensate by cuting hours, jobs and in fact, they'll go so far as to close regional stores.

Then what?

Actually, they will probably just raise prices to cover the difference making goods more expensive and thus nullifying the minimum wage increase.
0 Replies

malek

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 12:36 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Miller wrote:

Then what?

Actually, they will probably just raise prices to cover the difference making goods more expensive and thus nullifying the minimum wage increase.

There is always the other option of course, whereby the Corporation cuts its profits and keeps the product sale price as low as before. But that would mean the top flyboys having their immense bonuses reduced at the end of the year, so I don't think that'll ever happen.
Much better to try and keep the workers on the breadline so that Mr Boss can buy another holiday home and renew the wife's Mercedes every Christmas.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 12:44 pm
McGentrix wrote:
Miller wrote:

Then what?

Yep.. A GREAT DAY for the Middle Class!!
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 01:08 pm
The Benefits of Raising the Federal Minimum Wage
Opponents to increasing the minimum wage use the same old discredited reasons each time the issue is raised. They are still false yet the oponents still cite them, making them look like uniformed ideologues.---BBB

Supporting a Minimum Wage Increase
by Brock Haussamen

The Benefits of Raising the Federal Minimum Wage

Raising the federal minimum wage would benefit many Americans. How much would it do so? Because an increase in the federal minimum wage is controversial, proponents and opponents alike sometimes exaggerate its impact. The reality is, as even economists who support an increase warn us, that a higher minimum wage is no cure-all for poverty. With that said, however, studies show it will help in the following ways:

It would be good for poor families. A federal minimum wage increase would help millions of people who work not only at the minimum wage but below it and just above it as well. While an increase of a few thousand dollars per year will rarely by itself lift a person or a family out of poverty, it does ease the struggle to pay for groceries or child care or rent, and it adds meaning and dignity to one's labor. A reasonable minimum wage is an indispensable step towards the goal of reducing poverty, along with other steps that include credits on taxes, better education, and health coverage. A fair minimum wage is not enough, but it is essential.

It would be good for communities. Low-wage workers would spend more in local businesses and would rely less on local social service agencies for assistance. The change would help build the local tax base and would reduce the spending of local taxes on social assistance programs.

It would be good for businesses. Minimum wage increases in the states have resulted in reduced absenteeism, less turnover, and better morale from employees, as well as lower recruiting and training costs for employers, all of these contributing to higher productivity.

It would be good for minority working women. More women than men fill the lowest-wage jobs in retail, health care, and restaurants and hotels, and a third of them are African-American and Hispanic.

It would be good for the tax payer. Unlike federal assistance programs, the federal minimum wage helps the working poor without adding to the federal tax bill.

It would be good for our nation. An increased federal minimum wage would reduce the growing gap in incomes between the poor and the wealthy in America. When such a gap becomes as wide as it is, our democratic values are threatened, for the freedoms to vote, speak out on public issues, and enjoy a stable and open society are not meaningful for those who are worn out by struggles for the basics of life.

Its disadvantages have been exaggerated. The most commonly heard objection to a federal minimum wage increase continues to be that small business owners, facing an increase in labor costs, will need to reduce employment and might be forced to close their doors. But a growing number of studies show that this scenario overlooks the flexibilitiy of employee and employer responses when the minimum wage changes.

Recent studies note that states that increase their minimum wages also have stronger job growth compared to states with the federal minimum. And the risk of business failure does not increase when the minimum wage does.
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 01:31 pm
Not saying I am doubting your article, BBB, but it sure seems the guy that wrote it talks about a lot of "recent studies" without identifying these recent studies. I could change the article to support the non-increase of the minimum wage and cite a whole bunch of "recent studies." But of course, nobody would let me get away with that, would you? I thought not.

So I will wait until I actually see these "recent studies" before getting all excited about the minimum wage increase. Until then, I will continue to believe it to be a mistake. Of course, that is just one businessman's opinion.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 01:57 pm
CoastalRat
CoastalRat wrote:
Not saying I am doubting your article, BBB, but it sure seems the guy that wrote it talks about a lot of "recent studies" without identifying these recent studies. I could change the article to support the non-increase of the minimum wage and cite a whole bunch of "recent studies." But of course, nobody would let me get away with that, would you? I thought not.

So I will wait until I actually see these "recent studies" before getting all excited about the minimum wage increase. Until then, I will continue to believe it to be a mistake. Of course, that is just one businessman's opinion.

The following is a January 2007 study by respected professionals:

http://www.econjournalwatch.org/pdf/KleinDompeEconomicsInPracticeJanuary2007.pdf
0 Replies

CoastalRat

Reply Tue 29 May, 2007 02:10 pm
I didn't mean for you to go out and find a study that supports the increase in the minimum wage. My post was simply to point out that an article you posted to support a min. wage increase was useless since it did not cite any specific "recent" study to support what the writer was saying. Just that there had been recent studies. This seems to be a tendency with some writers (and posters) who think that they can justify any position by stating that there had been "recent studies", yet they fail to cite any.

Thanks for the link though. I will find it interesting reading. I will say I do not believe there will be any job losses to speak of because of the increase. But anyone who thinks there will not be price increases is just fooling themselves. As a businessman, I can guarantee you that any business that employs a significant number of people making under the new minimum wage will increase their prices to cover their increased costs. It won't need to be a significant increase, but it will increase.

The big winner will be the government. Just think how much more they will now collect in taxes. (Admittedly mainly Soc. Sec. taxes, but assuming no employee cut-backs, they will collect more income taxes also)
0 Replies