Did you know children are being held in Guantanamo Bay?

cobalt

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 02:36 pm
This poll is in reference to my earlier thread about the Guardian special report on Guantanamo Bay. I am getting the idea that there is a significant percentage of the US citizenry that is unaware of the details of the camp. People have been held there for 17 months now! And more "detainees" are coming. Another thing little known is that even if the tribunals result in acquital, those detained may still be kept there!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,466 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 02:45 pm
cobalt

We discussed Guantanamo already here, several weeks ago. And as far as I remember, those children imprisoned were mentioned as well (although I might be wrong :wink: ):Death camp at Guantanamo?, created by mamajuana.
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 02:55 pm
Walter, I just went through all six pages of the posts in that thread and found no reference to children being held there! I did set up the poll as it appears because I think it will be of interest what folks vote and in what category. This will be more fascinating if we can get a large number of a2kers to vote in this new poll - considering that continuing news on "an old story" may be entirely missed by many.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 02:58 pm
I didn't know
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 03:46 pm
Thanks to Walter for having posted the link to the June discussion within a2k. I should have posted the link to the article and thread I started about the recent Guardian Special Report. It is here:
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=288537#288537
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 04:42 pm
cobalt, there's been a fair bit of coverage of this on the CBC here. There is a radio program called Dispatches that covers a lot that is not covered by standard private broadcast media, and covers issues in wonderful depth. I'm addicted.

here is the cbc.ca homepage : http://www.cbc.ca/

it provides a distinctly north american, but not united states, view of the world.

the radio programs are available on live streaming audio

this afternoon the programs i listened to included:

Quote:
Tapestry
Weeping is an important, and common experience in many religious traditions. Tapestry speaks with two theologians who study the connection between tears and the divine. Also on the program, a documentary that chronicles a journey to a mass possession in southern India.

Quote:
Writers and Company
Host Eleanor Wachtel talks with American novelist and essayist Jamaica Kincaid. Growing up in Antigua gave Kincaid an appreciation of the cultural damage inflicted by colonialism. Her latest novel Mr. Potter is inspired by the life of her father, Roderick Potter. Kincaid's own parents separated just before she was born, and she had no relationship with her father at all

right now it's
Quote:

The World this Weekend
The streets of Belfast are marked by decades of violence between Northern Ireland's paramilitary groups. The government put up large concrete walls to separate Protestant and Catholic communities, preventing many violent clashes. But the so-called "peace walls" also prevent the two communities from interacting and getting to know each other. Scott Dippel reports that some people in Belfast think that it's time for the walls to come tumbling down.
0 Replies

Thinkzinc

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 07:04 pm
Gosh. This has not been covered on television in the UK at all. I was unaware of this until I saw this thread.
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 07:18 pm
The reply posts are certainly enlightening! All-in-all I think that Canadians and Austrailians often seem to get good media coverage. I long ago bookmarked two Austrailian sites and one New Zealand site that seem to have good global news. Das Kurier and Der Spiegel are also bookmarked, as well as the Sunday Times and Guardian. I'm glad you mention the streaming audio ehBeth! Very Happy That sounds good to me to listen to while online, and for when I get bored of local radio.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 08:44 pm
cobalt wrote:
Walter, I just went through all six pages of the posts in that thread and found no reference to children being held there!

I'm not sure about the thread Walter mentioned but there are at least 3 mentions on A2K of people under the age of 18 being held there from back in April:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=187044
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=189881
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=191423 (Taritan's post on page 76)
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 09:26 pm
Wowzer, what a great sleuth! Thank you - that was amazing to find them. I must confess I was not in those threads, and had I looked at them at the time, my present indignation would be less sharp for being caught off guard. Of course, when I hear the term "youth" or "juveniles" it doesn't automatically signal to me the same meaning as "children" used in the Guardian Special Report...

Apparently at that time of the other threads, the juveniles were held in the same Camp Delta and now they are held in a special "Camp Iguano". They are still held without recourse to representation and can be detained "indefinitely". This sounds to me similar to the plight of so many "illegals" picked up by the INS and held in various prisons. For those prisoners, which include many children, if a host country will not accept them and their former country will not accept them, they, too, are detained indefinitely. And this existed before the whole WTC disaster touched off even greater round-ups all over the mainland USA.
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 02:09 pm
To update: so far I have only found one link to a major US paper describing current situation in Guantanamo Bay - Chicago Tribune
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/nationworld/chi-0307200267jul20,1,3548047.story

no mention of the children...
0 Replies