Importing a Slave Class

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 07:17 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
the very simple point that i started with and stick by is that coulter is absolutely wrong in stating that the republicans saved slaves from democrats.
You couldn't be more wrong. The Republican Party was founded by former Whigs and Northern Democrats to oppose the expansion of Slavery. The second Republican nominee and First Republican President was Abraham Lincoln for crying out sideways. How can you possibly suggest otherwise?

you have no proof that there were no republicans in the south and no proof that there were no democrats in the north.

you also provided no proof that there was not a single slave in the north in 1860.

movin' on dude....
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 07:21 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
Coulter has a point about the parallels of today's use of illegal migrant workers with slavery back in the day. Both are examples of the free market without regard for humanity. Where she's wrong is in blaming the Democrats for wanting a so called "permanent slave class". Permanence, meaning allowing migrants to stay, allows the next generation to do better. The Republicans want a permanent slave class. And they want the added benefit of not having to pay for the care of the slaves -- they want them to go back to Mexico (or wherever) and raise the next generation of slave laborers, ensuring a continued flow of people willing to work for nothing so they can keep their profit margins fat.

bravo duck! (and how might you be, btw ? Very Happy )
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 07:30 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
the very simple point that i started with and stick by is that coulter is absolutely wrong in stating that the republicans saved slaves from democrats.
You couldn't be more wrong. The Republican Party was founded by former Whigs and Northern Democrats to oppose the expansion of Slavery. The second Republican nominee and First Republican President was Abraham Lincoln for crying out sideways. How can you possibly suggest otherwise?

you have no proof that there were no republicans in the south and no proof that there were no democrats in the north.

you also provided no proof that there was not a single slave in the north in 1860.

movin' on dude....
Rolling Eyes I never said otherwise to either of those silly challenges. I can provide plenty of proof for my assertion that "you couldn't be more wrong" about your nonsensical assertion; "coulter is absolutely wrong in stating that the republicans saved slaves from democrats". Are you having trouble focusing on your own words today? You should be.

Wikipedia: under the heading Republican Party: Establishment:
Quote:
The Republican Party was established in 1854 by a coalition of former Whigs, Northern Democrats, and Free-Soilers who opposed the expansion of slavery and held a vision for modernizing the United States.[19]
Any questions?
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 07:52 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
(and how might you be, btw ? Very Happy )

Doing very well, DTOM. How've you been? It's good to see you back on the boards.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 08:07 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
(and how might you be, btw ? Very Happy )

Doing very well, DTOM. How've you been? It's good to see you back on the boards.

muy fantastico! been down in east tennessee for 2 weeks. it's quite beautiful here, not crowded at all. which means it's actually a lot of fun to drive ! yay!! but i miss my wife, my pup and cat and i'm looking forward to going home saturday. Smile
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 08:11 pm
Knoxville or thereabouts?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 08:31 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
State Mass. N.H. N.Y. Conn. R.I. Pa. N.J. Vt.

Official end of slavery 1783 1783 1799 1784 1784 1780 1804 1777

Actual end of slavery 1783 c.1845? 1827 1848 1842 c.1845? 1865 1777?

So, in other words, states that "actually ended" slavery twenty or thirty years before the Civil War were "still practicing slavery at the onset of the war?" Really, this must be some kind of a joke.

DontTreadOnMe wrote:
i never said anything close to "slavery was as huge in the north as in the south". only that it existed into the mid 1800s.

No, that's not what you said. You said:

DontTreadOnMe wrote:
it was practiced in all states in 1860.

Clearly, from your own evidence, that is simply not true.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 08:35 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:

You're wrong.

owwww! ya got me!! Laughing

any problems with the rest of it ?

Isolated instances of slaves being held in northern states in the 1860s is rather inconsequential. At best, it constitutes interesting trivia, along the lines of the fact that some Jews served in the German Wehrmacht in World War II.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 11:21 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:

Clearly, from your own evidence, that is simply not true.

i already admitted my mistake on that particular statement a few posts back joe.

however if you follow the links, you'll see that even though slavery was banned in most states early in the 1800s (which i knew, and should have included), it persisted until much later in many if not all of them "unofficially" for a much longer time.

look at missouri, which in 1860 had 114,931 slaves.

new jersey ended slavery in 1865

delaware only ended slavery in 1865 with the implementation of amendment 13

northern states, no ?

i didn't get too into it, but there was also a form of slavery called "term slavery", which was more like indentured servitude. sometimes as long as 40 years. considering that the life span was shorter then, i don't see much of a difference.

so, in any case, i still don't think that coulter's characterization of the thing holds water.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 11:33 pm
joefromchicago wrote:

Isolated instances of slaves being held in northern states in the 1860s is rather inconsequential

sorry, i just saw this.

i have to disagree. i'd imagine that those isolated slaves would too.

see, here's where i'm coming from; coulter is saying that basically "the republican north had no slaves". that they were morally superior, because of course she doesn't recognize that anyone, anywhere could possibly have morals if they are not a republican.

that's not true. i really don't care if there was only one slave in the entire state of ohio. or pennsylvania. or indiana. even one slave in any state was one too many.

even one renders her characterization as wrong.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 12:32 am
FreeDuck wrote:
Knoxville or thereabouts?

kinda. crossville. and despite the name, the people are not angry at all. :wink:
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 06:47 am
DontTreadOnMe wrote:

see, here's where i'm coming from; coulter is saying that basically "the republican north had no slaves". that they were morally superior, because of course she doesn't recognize that anyone, anywhere could possibly have morals if they are not a republican.

None of that really matters anyway because the parties today bear almost no resemblance to the parties of then and have all but inverted themselves. She wasn't calling the north morally superior an election or two ago, was she? Those Morally Superior Republicans of yesteryear are now her Godless Liberals. But no matter, intellectual honesty is not something Coulter is known for nor does it appeal to her readers.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 07:57 am
DontTreadOnMe wrote:
look at missouri, which in 1860 had 114,931 slaves.

new jersey ended slavery in 1865

delaware only ended slavery in 1865 with the implementation of amendment 13

northern states, no ?

Missouri and Delaware? No.

I'm not sure why you'd include Missouri and Delaware among the "northern" states. Although they did not secede, they (along with Kentucky and Maryland) were slave states, i.e. slavery was a legally recognized institution in those states up to the adoption of the thirteenth amendment. Most people would consider these four states to be "border states," not northern states.

DontTreadOnMe wrote:
i didn't get too into it, but there was also a form of slavery called "term slavery", which was more like indentured servitude. sometimes as long as 40 years. considering that the life span was shorter then, i don't see much of a difference.

In the north? At the time of the civil war? You'll have to show me some evidence for that.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 12:55 pm
FreeDuck wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:

None of that really matters anyway because the parties today bear almost no resemblance to the parties of then and have all but inverted themselves. She wasn't calling the north morally superior an election or two ago, was she? Those Morally Superior Republicans of yesteryear are now her Godless Liberals. But no matter, intellectual honesty is not something Coulter is known for nor does it appeal to her readers.

what was it the gop was calling kerry, "a massachussetts liberal"?. i've also heard it as "new england liberal".

good point.

and that's why i get such a giggle out of the way that today's south (ya know, the former Confereate States of America; them what went to war against the United States of America ) declares itself "the real u.s.a. .

i can't ell you how bizzare it is when isee some of these guys around here with both the u.s. flag and the confederate battle flag on the porch or a graphic of the two crossed on license plates and stuff. like this;

http://www.confedalot.com/KIPP39.jpg

kind of a contradiction, eh ?
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 01:06 pm
btw, i meant to also mention that not everyone in the south is into this jazz. and please, before i get lamb basted for bashin' the south, i am a southerner transplant to california. even still have a cbf that i got when i was a little kid.
--
i've actually been pretty surprised the last year or so at how the "bush love fest" has diminshed down here. even saw a few war protesters in front of the courthouse last week. "honk if you want peace". and folks were honkin".
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 01:14 pm
DontTreadOnMe wrote:

http://www.confedalot.com/KIPP39.jpg

kind of a contradiction, eh ?
More than kind of. Luckily, as soon as you wash one of those shirts for the very first time, it reveals an ever so slightly different message.
http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/5350/racistflagshirtko4.jpg
This means your average wearer of such a garment; can really only enjoy for a month or two.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 01:26 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
DontTreadOnMe wrote:

In the north? At the time of the civil war? You'll have to show me some evidence for that.

i'd rather move on, if you're really into it, okay. but what i remember was that it was pretty weird. these guys worked mostly along the docks in st. louis and surrounding warehouses. it said something like they were even allowed to be hired out to other people and some had the right to do that for themselves. pretty strange stuff.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 01:35 pm
It simply sounds like indentured servitude, which was not illegal, but was certainly uncommon by 1860. By the way, St. Louis is in Missouri, and as Joe has already pointed out, that was considered a border state. Most of the Missouri State Guard followed Sterling Price into Arkansas, and fought for the Confederacy. Franz Sigel made a name and a military career for himself when he lead German immigrants into St. Louis in 1861 to protect the Federal arsenal from the pro-Confederacy St. Louis mob.

I seriously doubt that anyone ever signed and indenture for 40 years of service. In fact, i don't believe it at all. If you could provide evidence, it would help. Otherwise, you're just talking through your hat.
0 Replies

DontTreadOnMe

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 03:06 pm
Setanta wrote:
It simply sounds like indentured servitude, which was not illegal, but was certainly uncommon by 1860. By the way, St. Louis is in Missouri, and as Joe has already pointed out, that was considered a border state. Most of the Missouri State Guard followed Sterling Price into Arkansas, and fought for the Confederacy. Franz Sigel made a name and a military career for himself when he lead German immigrants into St. Louis in 1861 to protect the Federal arsenal from the pro-Confederacy St. Louis mob.

I seriously doubt that anyone ever signed and indenture for 40 years of service. In fact, i don't believe it at all. If you could provide evidence, it would help. Otherwise, you're just talking through your hat.

slavery in missouri

border state or not, it's north of the mason-dixon and certainly not part of the c.s.a.

okee dokee chappies, i'm out of time here. i have a lot to do to get my father squared away before morning when i have to drive 2 hours to catch a plane for a 6 hour flight.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 25 May, 2007 03:24 pm
Your link does not address the topic of indentures, and certainly not of any indenture for 40 years. The reference to the different type of slavery in Missouri doesn't refer to the slaves there somehow being different slaves than those anywhere else in the south, it simply refers to different working conditions than were common elsewhere in the south.

The Mason-Dixon line refers to the southern border of Pennsylvania. If you run the border line of Pennsylvania and Maryland west to Missouri, you'll see that more than 80% of the state of Missouri was south of that border. More importantly, Missouri was not only a slave state, but a slave state at the heart of the controversy which became known as the Missouri Compromise. That placed the northern limit for slave owning states at 36 degrees 30 minutes north--which was the southern boundary of what became the state of Missouri. However, Missouri was specifically excepted from that provision, which is why it became known as the Missouri Compromise.

There is simply no way that you can reasonably allege that Missouri was a "northern" state in the face of the fact that it was a slave state, and only entered the Union on the basis of a Congressional compromise which permitted slavery in that state.
0 Replies