Do Atheists "Worship" Anything?

RexRed

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 12:06 am
Luke was a physician...
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 12:55 am
RexRed,

I'm trying to work out why you feel the need to project this concept of "worship" onto the one group which has clearly rejected it. A psychoanalyst would say either (a) you are subconsciously uncomfortable with "worship" or (b) you need to rationalize your own trait by the "false consensus argument" whereby all have been "created" with inbuilt "worship programs". Since (a) refers to the "subconscious" and (b) to the "conscious" they can both be valid simultaneously.

I suggest the reason you vocalise this projection at this time is in reaction to some recent heavy barrages on other threads which effectively weakened your position as a "worthy" opponent. In essence you are fighting to re-establish your "equality".
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 01:11 am
fresco wrote:
RexRed,

I'm trying to work out why you feel the need to project this concept of "worship" onto the one group which has clearly rejected it. A psychoanalyst would say either (a) you are subconsciously uncomfortable with "worship" or (b) you need to rationalize your own trait by the "false consensus argument" whereby all have been "created" with inbuilt "worship programs". Since (a) refers to the "subconscious" and (b) to the "conscious" they can both be valid simultaneously.

I suggest the reason you vocalise this projection at this time is in reaction to some recent heavy barrages on other threads which effectively weakened your position as a "worthy" opponent. In essence you are fighting to re-establish your "equality".

I am trying to point out that all people must worship something...

If it is not the invisible God then this uncontrollable urge turns upon the self, others or toward objects and relics...

It's that simple...

To borrow a line from Dylan... "You've got to serve somebody."
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 01:17 am
"Serve" does not equate to "worship". My occupation (as a Doctor say) can "serve humanity" without that aspect of submission involved in worship.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 01:28 am
What constitutes worship?

http://www.gamedaycolors.com/images/osu%20fan.jpg
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 02:12 am
Mame wrote:
Oh, did I say that I worship the ground RexRed walks on? What does that make me? A Rexist?
Funny!
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 02:20 am
Hey Rex, how did the bag of Smarties and snapping an elastic band on the wrist work out with your classical conditioning?
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 07:02 am
RexRed wrote:

What are you basing this on? YOUR need to worship something? I don't have this same need, nor do many others. Again, please speak for yourself.

If it is not the invisible God then this uncontrollable urge turns upon the self, others or toward objects and relics...

Again, I don't have this uncontrollable urge... but wait! I see my incense burner on the corner of my table - there you go, I can worship that. I need to develop a prayer to it.

It's that simple...

What's simple is that aetheists do not believe in a god. Period. End of story. I don't believe there IS a god. It doesn't matter why, I just don't. And I don't feel a lack or a need to worship myself, others, or objects. That's simple.

No, you don't 'got to serve somebody'... maybe you do, but I don't.

Please don't ascribe things to me that aren't true. You can only speak for yourself.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 10:31 am
Mame wrote:
RexRed wrote:

What are you basing this on? YOUR need to worship something? I don't have this same need, nor do many others. Again, please speak for yourself.

Again, I don't have this uncontrollable urge... but wait! I see my incense burner on the corner of my table - there you go, I can worship that. I need to develop a prayer to it.

It's that simple...

What's simple is that aetheists do not believe in a god. Period. End of story. I don't believe there IS a god. It doesn't matter why, I just don't. And I don't feel a lack or a need to worship myself, others, or objects. That's simple.

No, you don't 'got to serve somebody'... maybe you do, but I don't.

Please don't ascribe things to me that aren't true. You can only speak for yourself.

Take a page from Neo's last post then tell me that again...

Maybe your idea is to simply just serve yourself?

Football fans...

Christian are often referred as fanatics but for other "religions" we use the nice word "fans"...

Yet they just transfer the same energy into a sport that belongs to God...

Seems like "denial" is the word of the day...

Thanks Neo... Laughing
0 Replies

I Stereo

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 10:58 am
RexRed wrote:
Luke was a physician...

Jesus was a capenter... your point?
0 Replies

I Stereo

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 11:31 am
REX - You posted earlier that ou don't think many Christians are biblical. You more or less asserted that within the group "Christinas" the is a an asymetery between what everyone does and what the bible says, but not all, just most. More or less, you established that not every Christian believes thae same things.

So how can you assume that groups like athiests all believe the same things? Your claim that people worship themselves is not ridiculous until you assert that a whole group does it.

I can't say that ALL Christians believe in a Trinity, get it?
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 11:56 am
I'm reminded of one of my favorite scenes from Through the Looking Glass:

Quote:
"...There's glory for you!"

"I don't know what you mean by 'glory'," Alice said.

Humpty Dumpty smiled contemptuously. "Of course you don't--till I tell you. I meant 'There's a nice knock-down argument for you!'"

"But 'glory' doesn't mean 'a nice knock-down argument,'" Alice objected.

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in a rather scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean--neither more nor less."

"The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things. [...] "That's a great deal to make one word mean," Alice said in a thoughtful tone.

"When I make a word do a lot of work like that," said Humpty Dumpty, "I always pay it extra."

"Oh!" said Alice. She was too puzzled to make any other remark.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 12:46 pm
I Stereo wrote:
RexRed wrote:
Luke was a physician...

Read a few posts back and it may click...
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 12:51 pm
I Stereo wrote:
REX - You posted earlier that ou don't think many Christians are biblical. You more or less asserted that within the group "Christinas" the is a an asymetery between what everyone does and what the bible says, but not all, just most. More or less, you established that not every Christian believes thae same things.

So how can you assume that groups like athiests all believe the same things? Your claim that people worship themselves is not ridiculous until you assert that a whole group does it.

I can't say that ALL Christians believe in a Trinity, get it?

Worship (superego) is a condition common to ALL thinking humans atheist or not... The trinity is a belief system common to many pagans and polytheists.

My point is that if atheists do not worship God then this energy must turn on themselves, others or relics... i.e. sports, drugs, sex, music, art, politics etc.

This misplaced worship of the INVISIBLE God (creator) becomes an open obsession directed toward the visible world (creation)...
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 01:11 pm
RexRed wrote:
I Stereo wrote:
RexRed wrote:
Luke was a physician...

Read a few posts back and it may click...

Physicians know ails and carpenters know nails...

Yikes! (did I post that?)

Twisted Evil
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 01:28 pm
Re: Do Atheists "Worship" Anything?
Shapeless wrote:
RexRed wrote:
Atheists stand in ridicule and judgment of others who choose to worship a "higher" power while they (atheists) themselves set their own affections on earthly objects and ideals.

Yes, this is an argument that surfaces on A2K every so often... trying to trick atheists into being theists by claiming that any kind of attention to anything is the equivalent of "worship." According to this definition, being a fan of the Beatles qualifies as theism. Well, sure, if you want to dilute the word "worship" to such a vapid degree that it can include everything, go for it. Indeed, I can think of several atheists who would delight in the idea of equating the worship of God to enjoying the Beatles... it helps put things in their proper place.

Again "fan" is the shortened form of the word FANATIC...

I don't scream every time I hear "I Wanna Hold Your Hand" play on the radio... Smile
0 Replies

Shapeless

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 01:35 pm
Quite correct. That doesn't get you any closer to demonstrating that enjoying the Beatles is similar to belief in immaterial beings. But again, if you prefer to put religious devotion on the same plane as musical preferences, you're more than welcome. I rather like the idea.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 01:38 pm
Shapeless wrote:
Quite correct. That doesn't get you any closer to demonstrating that enjoying the Beatles is similar to belief in immaterial beings. But again, if you prefer to put religious devotion on the same plane as musical preferences, you're more than welcome. I rather like the idea.

Matthew, Mark, Luke and Ringo...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 01:38 pm
Shapeless wrote:

The only problem i have with the thesis is that musical preferences can be and often are evidence of a sophisticated good taste. I know of no reason to assume the same about theistic superstitions.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 01:40 pm
Setanta wrote:
Shapeless wrote:

The only problem i have with the thesis is that musical preferences can be and often are evidence of a sophisticated good taste. I know of no reason to assume the same about theistic superstitions.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, this is why God is INVISIBLE.
0 Replies