Meanwhile in the forgotten war

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 07:25 am
CALGARY -- Calm in Kabul is as elusive as the sinister Taliban and al-Qaeda forces that blend into the city's population of three million people, says a Canadian soldier already in Afghanistan.
"There's no law and order. Right now you can hear explosions in the city and gunshots at night," said Cpl. Aaron Lauritsen in a telephone interview. "The locals are always armed. There's lots of weapons in Kabul."
Cpl. Lauritsen, 24, is one of an advance team of 350 Canadian soldiers in the Afghan capital preparing for an 1,800-member force which began deploying yesterday. They are part of Operation Athena, this country's contribution to the 5,000 troops from 29 nations forming the International Security Assistance Force in Afghanistan. The force's mandate is to keep warring factions apart and support the transitional government of President Hamid Karzai.
"There's constant dangers out there. Everybody knows there's a constant threat. There's al-Qaeda and Taliban forces working here. They're operating in and around Kabul and they're operating around ISAF and that means Canadian soldiers," said Cpl. Lauritsen.
"You know there's threats out there and you're going to have to deal with them -- just don't dwell on them. I just want to go home in one piece," said Cpl. Lauritsen who is with 2 Royal Canadian Regiment, based in Gagetown, N.B.
Twenty international soldiers have been killed in the 19 months since a U.S.-led coalition ousted the ruling Taliban and the al-Qaeda terrorist network it hosted, including four Germans killed by a suicide bomber.
Yesterday, three coalition soldiers were wounded when an improvised bomb exploded in the middle of their convoy in eastern Afghanistan's Kunar province. The nationalities of the soldiers were not disclosed.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,226 • Replies: 9
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 07:32 am
This has been an interesting time at A2K for me lately. I looked at the Kobe Debacle thread. Didn't know who Kobe was. Still can't figure out what the 'debacle' is. See forgotten war posted here, and come to read about something that really is news. Sometimes I forget how far apart Canada and the U.S. really are, when you get to the core.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 07:41 am
This is a very strong issue for a bold enough Democrat to sieze on.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 07:44 am
Main Entry: de·ba·cle
Pronunciation: dE-'bä-k&l, -'ba-; ÷'de-b&-k&l
Variant(s): also dé·bâ·cle /also dA-'bäk(l&)/
Function: noun
Etymology: French débâcle, from débâcler to clear, from Middle French desbacler, from des- de- + bacler to block, perhaps from (assumed) Vulgar Latin bacculare, from Latin baculum staff
Date: 1802
1 : a tumultuous breakup of ice in a river
2 : a violent disruption (as of an army) : ROUT
3 a : a great disaster b : a complete failure : FIASCO

The Kobe affair is a "debacle" IMO. A mess, thrust onto the consciousness of the public - a manifestation of the complete failure of the legal principle "innocent until proven guilty"; a public airing of private moral failing. You make part of my point for me - the media is making such a production of this because in America, we mass produce "superstars" and "divas", then we devote ungodly amounts of our time and energy focused on them. Sorry to interrupt this thread, but it seemed like you might be questioning th appropriateness of having a thread devoted to Kobe Bryant's legal trouble. Granted, I might be feeding into the hype that I rail against, but in any case, I still find it interesting and worthy of discussion. That alone IMO, passes any unspoken prerequisites for subjects posted on A2K.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 07:58 am
Snood - I have no argument with anyone's right to post what they want here, and to call it what they want. My comment was in regard to my own view of the world. I changed my 'location' in my profile some weeks ago - as I realized more and more that Americans don't live in the same world as the rest of us - or my perception of that being the case.

The Kobe thread was an 'easy' example - I shake my head at that case being of any interest to anyone other than the people actually involved.

I think I'm safer in word association. I'm less likely to get into trouble there. So, ciao to you all.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 08:05 am
Don't go, ebeth. We want you here.
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 08:21 am
Just taking a seat with my popcorn and pepsi to watch for now, so don't mind me.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 11:07 pm
dys is right. We shouldn't forget whats going on in Afghanistan.

Some current news.

http://asia.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=worldNews&storyID=3373719

Some of it--

Afghan Taliban Says Sends 300 Reinforcements
Tue September 2, 2003 11:30 AM ET
By Saeed Ali Achakzai
SPIN BOLDAK, Afghanistan (Reuters) - Afghanistan's Taliban has sent 300 more fighters to the southern province of Zabul to help battle Afghan government and U.S.-led troops, a commander from the ousted militia said on Tuesday.

Maulvi Faizullah, a senior Taliban commander involved in fighting in Zabul, said a fresh wave of militants had been deployed in Dai Chopan district to join up to 1,000 others who have been fighting in the area for the last eight days.

The reinforcements were being led by former Taliban Education Minister Amir Khan Muttaqi, Faizullah told Reuters. They had been sent from Khost province in the east bordering Pakistan, he said.

Zabul provincial intelligence chief Khalil Hotak said Afghan government forces backed by U.S.-led troops were searching in the Koh Larzab area of Dai Chopan, where he said Taliban militants were believed to be hiding in caves.

There were no air attacks from U.S. and allied jet fighters and helicopter gunships early on Tuesday and no direct contact with the Taliban fighters, he added.

According to a U.S. military spokesman, soldiers from the 20-nation force hunting remnants of the Taliban and al Qaeda network of Osama bin Laden clashed with small enemy units of five to 10 men on Tuesday and trapped one group in a cave.
-------------------
IMO, we should hear more about the day-to-day in our news.
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 11:17 pm
IF you read news sources from the Near East and South Asia (Jordan Times, Middle East News, Cairo News (arabic only)al-Jazeera (Arabic Only), New Dehli Press, Pakistan Gazette), and International Herald Tribune , this has been in the news almost daily. It has also made some inroads into the European PRess (FAZ, Die Zeit, Suddeutsche Zeitung, Die Welt, Stern, Paris Match, Le Monde, Guardian, etc...). I think it hasn't gotten a lot of coverage in the US due to its lack of "entertainment" value.
0 Replies

CodeBorg

Reply Wed 3 Sep, 2003 11:31 pm
How many times must a man look up
Before he can see the sky?
Yes, 'n' how many ears must one man have
Before he can hear people cry?
Yes, 'n' how many deaths will it take till he knows
That too many people have died?
The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind,
The answer is blowin' in the wind.

http://www.bobdylan.com/songs/blowin.html