Dove bars

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 12:50 pm
The other day, I can't remember which, the lady Diane went to the market. She asked me if there was anything I wanted and i said "get me some Dove ice cream bars, please." when she got home I asked her about the dove bars ans she said "damn, I forgot, I really think i must be senile or suffer from alzheimers."
Why do us older folk always think something is wrong with us because we forget stuff?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 6,435 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 01:07 pm
I think that as we get older, there is a wariness about the infirmities of old age. When we see people around us failing, it is not a stretch to believe that we may be next.

Memory is one of those things. We hear stories, or have known people who have suffered from dementia, and fear that someday we may be faced with it. When we were younger, and we forget, we can always say that we forgot because we had more important things on our minds. As retirees, our ability to multitask weakens, and we forget.

I remember taking a graduate course in psychology. The professor was a woman of about 60. One of the students asked her if I.Q. diminishes with age. She answered that it is not the IQ that changes, but our ability to retain new information. She pulled out a little pad from the pocket of her skirt, and told the class that if she did not write things down, she would be forgetting stuff all the time.

Then again, maybe the Lady Diane didn't want you to get mad at her. You could be pissed if you thought that she did not care enough to buy you the ice cream, but you can't take issue will a poor old lady whose memory is failing! :wink: Laughing

BTW, speaking of Dove. I had gotten a flyer from one of those health magazines that send out "teasers" so they can get you to subscribe. They talked about a certain brand of dark chocolate that has a large amount of flavanols, but naturally, they did not mention the brand.

This chocolate was supposed to provide improved blood vessel function. Well, after a little Googling, I found out that it was Dove. I am going to buy myself a bag of Dove dark chocolate squares, for medicinal purposes, of course!

http://pub.ucsf.edu/today/news.php?news_id=200211205
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 01:30 pm
dys :
lucky you ! if you had asked me to bring a "dove" bar , this is what i would have brought you Shocked

http://www.wackypackages.org/realproductsscans/3rd_2005/dovesoap.jpg

of course , not all would be lost 'cause the delivery would have been made by the "dove girls" !
they are the real dove girls - it's not just some gimmick - i wouldn't pull a stunt on you - promise !

http://sunyaprajna.com/Photos/DoveGirls.jpg

so whatever dove bar comes your way : ENJOY IT !
hbg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 05:21 pm
I'll answer you seriously.

Every woman on my mother's side of the family died with dementia of some sort, my mother with rampant alzheiimer's. Thinking how many grand aunts died at Metropolitan whatever in Boston, each gaga. And at least one man, thinking, two. I don't know my father's family of yore, but he was transferred from a psychiatric facility to an ICU before he died.

My father warned me about my mother when she was a year older than I am now. He died three years younger than I am now.

I see patterns in myself like I saw with her.

Diane has her own reasons for both fears and noticing changes.

The noticings aren't ever silly, in our cases.

For those for whom such fears are basically silly, that is a good thing, snap out of it. For those for whom it is not silly, don't just toss it off.

I know, Dys, how much you know about brain challenges.
I know you are supportive.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 05:37 pm
On how I might know my mother had alzheimer's before they even had diagnostics on it and sans autopsy, that is a word I know now, sometime later. Wandering is a classic aspect of it. My mother walked from west LA to LAX airport, from which they called me, and to Rampart Street Division LAPD. My name was in her purse.

One wonders why it took me twice to act, but believe me, I was frantic. Thus, conservatorship.

But back then, alzheimer's wasn't a word I ever heard, even though I worked at a med center and talked with a lot of mds about the circumstances.

Not to natter, just that a certain wariness isn't piffle.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 05:50 pm
dyslexia wrote:
The other day, I can't remember which,
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 05:52 pm
In childhood, my Mom called me "the absent-minded professor." How will I know if I have alzheimers, if I already don't remember?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 06:06 pm
There is a difference from the ordinary forgetting. I too have been a key loser for decades. I see it as a sign of honor...

eh, listen to me or not.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 06:07 pm
I tend to "forget" a lot of things when shopping for loved ones, especially those things that aren't good for them to be eating.

It's much easier and less emotional to just "forget" rather then argue the pros and cons of it with them.

Of course, I often "forgot" what all was not good to be eating and bought it for the both of us! Razz
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 06:11 pm
So, butryflynet, in agreement, forgetting has many aspects.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 04:55 pm
BBB
My memory differences appear to be mostly that it takes more time for the word or name I'm trying to remember to work it's way up from wherever it is stored in my brain.

When I was younger, I was extremely fast on the memory response and would have made a good Jeopardy contestant. But now I'm much too slow on the response as I age.

I've been a member of an osteoporosis drug testing program for three years. At least once a year I'm tested for good brain function including memory retention. This year, I showed a very slight decline in being able to repeat long lists of words and numbers. I guess there's still hope for me as I turn 78 in July.

BBB
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 05:10 pm
bbb wrote :

Quote:
I guess there's still hope for me as I turn 78 in July.

i don't think you have much to worry about on the "memory" score :wink:

i'm trying hard to catch up with you but you keep beating me on the "curves of life" ! Laughing
hbg
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 06:15 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
BTW, speaking of Dove. I had gotten a flyer from one of those health magazines that send out "teasers" so they can get you to subscribe. They talked about a certain brand of dark chocolate that has a large amount of flavanols, but naturally, they did not mention the brand.

This chocolate was supposed to provide improved blood vessel function. Well, after a little Googling, I found out that it was Dove. I am going to buy myself a bag of Dove dark chocolate squares, for medicinal purposes, of course!

http://pub.ucsf.edu/today/news.php?news_id=200211205

I love Dove dark chocolate but cannot find it here in Canada. I have been able to find the caramel filled kind but want the healthy stuff (so I can justify both purchase and consumption Very Happy )! On our infrequent trips to the states we always come home with Dove dark chocolate.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 06:23 pm
tai chi :

have you tried

http://www.chocosphere.com/images/cotedor/large/sensations-brut.jpg

mrs h likes it but prefers the 70% "orange" kind - often at shoppers' drugmarket at 2/$5
personally hardly ever eat chocolate - except a small piece of chocolate-truffel torte .
hbg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 06:26 pm
Tai Chi - if you've got one of the big Shoppers Drug Marts near you, check it for dark Dove chocolate as well as other premium chocolates.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 06:30 pm
darker than dark ... "Dark Excellence Lindt 99%" also at shoppers'
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 06:31 pm
Thanks ehBeth and hamburger. I have tried cote d'or and will look for Dove dark at Shopper's (maybe it's a big city thing). Mostly I'm willing to wait and look for what I want so I won't settle for what isn't good for me...
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 07:29 pm
Kingston's a big city now Shocked ?

:wink:
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 12:01 pm
I can accept growing old and a bit creaky. I find it much harder to accept that my years are making me more vulnerable.

I think if you're used to planning your life and being in charge of your destiny that memory lapses are more than simply forgetting a fact. They are a possible sign of doom.

Control Freaks frequently assume the worst.
0 Replies

Tai Chi

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 01:07 pm
[Fellow Control Freak here...] I can accept forgetting the occasional word -- that seems normal to me -- but I have lately been using the wrong word (it usually starts with the same letter). As I am still "relatively" young [50] it concerns me a bit, although I tell myself I have a lot on my mind.
0 Replies