Nutella/ It's Taking Over My Life

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2014 09:35 am
@edgarblythe,
Hmm - Nutella shares the fate with tomatoes.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2014 09:37 am
@Walter Hinteler,
Privately grown tomatoes are a major like of mine. I was given a bag of them yesterday. Going to have one with my lunch. Maybe dinner, too.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2014 12:25 pm
It's hazelnut-flavored sugar.

http://globalnews.ca/news/874931/how-much-sugar-is-in-nutella-canadian-doctor-decodes-whats-in-the-hazelnut-spread/
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2018 01:52 pm
Quote:
'This Is Not Normal': Nutella Riots Hit France After Stores Slash Prices

Hundreds of French citizens lost their savoir faire on Thursday, driven to desperation by a grocery chain's sudden
70 percent price drop for a jar of Nutella. Stories of "Nutella riots" began to spread; videos showed crowds of
people shoving and yelling in supermarkets, trying to reach the jars.

One video showed a throng of people rushing to collect as many jars of Nutella as they could carry. The video
was titled "Emeute" — a term for a mutiny or rebellion. In the footage, a woman is repeatedly heard saying that
the situation "is not normal," as people push their way to a stack of Nutella jars, leaving behind only crumpled
cardboard cartons.
(NPR)

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2018 10:36 pm
Our local bakery sells nutella-filled croissants!
Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 26 Jan, 2018 11:59 pm
@Setanta,
I remember the hypha when Nutella arrived here in 1964 the first time - never liked it.
Thus, I prefer a pain au chocolat (chocolatine/couque au chocolat) to a nutella croissant.
ehBeth

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2018 12:11 am
@ehBeth,

ehBeth wrote:

I had some on a croissant the other day.

Now I think I'll have to give up croissants ... they're a pathway to Nutella.

yup

and now our bakery makes Nutella croissants

the way we have to suffer
farmerman

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2018 12:12 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I normally cannot stand the taste of Hazelnuts but NEWTELLA , yummy. I think its the chocolate that takes the gag response away and makes it really enjoyable.
Whoever thought of the stuff was BRILLIANT!!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2018 12:24 am
@ehBeth,
That's just decadent.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Sat 27 Jan, 2018 08:50 pm
Very odd my daughter asked me to pick some up she likes to dip strawberries in it. More strange it just happened to be on sale marked down but fortunately for me there was no craziness around this particular sale.

I tried a taste when I got home as a do love hazelnut it was quite good. A bit sweet but I can see why people like it.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2018 09:26 am
Yesterday (Monday), France's finance ministry announced it would investigate the promotion on Nutella to see whether it was against strict consumer laws on discounts.

Promotion sur le Nutella à Intermarché : Bercy va enquêter

The selling of discounted food is highly regulated in France to prevent companies from selling it at a loss.
The consumer police at the DGCCRF (the body which investigates fraud at France's ministry of finance) will have to determine whether the Nutella offer was part of the general winter "sales" which allow for steep reductions or just a one-off offer on Nutella. They will also look at how much Intermarché bought the product for initially.

The law in France allows food to be discounted as part of the official "sales" under two conditions: that the products were bought at least one month before the beginning of the sales period and if it's considered a fair price.
If it is just a special offer then the discount price offered must not be an attempt at "product dumping" by the stores.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2018 12:00 pm
It's quite possible to make your own Nutella by mixing hazelnuts, some kind of sweetener, and chocolate in a food processor. We're fooling ourselves if we think Nutella is hazelnut butter. Nutella is no more hazelnut butter then Reese's Peanut Butter Cups are peanut butter. One is a nutritious food and the other is candy.

When I was a kid Kellogg's sent out samples of sugar Frosted Flakes, and I would go around eating them like candy, which of course, they were. And that's true of a lot of processed breakfast cereals in that they're more like candy than nutritious food.
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2018 12:17 pm
@coluber2001,
The German consumer organisation "Stiftung Warentest" has tested 21 alternatives to Nutella - from cheap versions at the discounters over no-name pructs to expensive versions by wellknown chocolate brands: five are similar or even better to Nutella, four of the latter cost 31 pence per 100 gr compared to 59 for Nutella. (The other is an organic, fair traded product, 1.29 € per 100 gr)
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2018 12:18 pm
@coluber2001,
we've got some hazelnut butter in the house right now
not bad but it's no nutella
0 Replies

Sturgis

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2018 12:34 pm
@coluber2001,
Quote:
It's possible to make your own Nutella...

No, it's not.

Sure, there'll be a combination of ingredients, it will however, not be as texturally divine as the actual product which so many crave. Why, it's as bad as being forced to eat a turkey burger and pretend it's beef!
Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2018 12:46 pm
@Sturgis,
In a blind test with 12 different hazelnut creams Nutella was midfield , but still by far the most popular among testing consumers.
0 Replies

coluber2001

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2018 01:29 pm
When Nutella first came out I looked on the label, and the first three ingredients were different forms of sugar and then hazelnuts and chocolate.
Which means that there's really not a lot of hazelnut in there. It's essentially just chocolate candy with hazelnut flavoring, which is fine as long as you don't think you're actually eating food, you're eating candy. Nowadays, the first ingredient is sugar and then hazelnuts, so they made it look better, but it's still candy, and if you are feeding it to your kids you have to be aware that it is candy, not food.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2018 01:36 pm
@coluber2001,
coluber2001 wrote:
just chocolate candy with hazelnut flavoring

just?
just!

chocolate and hazelnut will never be a just
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2018 06:40 pm
Is it still candy if you dip strawberries in it.
coluber2001

Reply Tue 30 Jan, 2018 06:55 pm
@Linkat,
I don't know. Is a candied apple still an apple? I guess.
0 Replies