Behold! The Nutella Tax and the oncoming French Revolution Version 2.0!

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 10:13 am
Nutella tax: Is France taking austerity too far?
Nutella tax is aimed at reducing unhealthy ingredients in French food. But by taking on a French favorite, the Nutella tax is spurring a backlash.
http://www.csmonitor.com/Business/new-economy/2012/1115/Nutella-tax-Is-France-taking-austerity-too-far

What food would you revolt over if banned or overly taxed?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 4 • Views: 2,730 • Replies: 3

farmerman

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 10:27 am
@tsarstepan,
pistachios, ever eat just one pistachio?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 15 Nov, 2012 11:02 am
@tsarstepan,
I've weaned myself off of a lot of packaged foods for a mix of reasons including money but this one has been the hardest as I'm addicted to it.

a packaged version of saag paneer:
http://www.vitacost.com/Images/Products/500/Tasty-Bite/Tasty-Bite-Kashmir-Spinach-782733000037.jpg

All other ingredients healthy, but there is way too much salt (part but not all of why that is delicious to me). Plus, left to my own devices, I'd need to eat two packages at once, which would put me into salt orbit. I've tried making my own as you can make paneer with ricotta, but haven't succeeded in getting just the right spices taste... yet.

So, I don't buy this stuff, but I like it being available. If they put a salt tax on it, I'd growl. Oh, I also like several of the other Tasty Bites products, but they are easier for me to walk by. Trader Joe's has a version I've tried, and also another company, those also have too much salt and are less wonderful to me than TBite's.

I agree re Nutella and pistachios. Haven't eaten Nutella for years but I remember it very well.
0 Replies

Ceili

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2012 11:28 pm
@tsarstepan,
This coming from a nation that puts heavy cream in everything...
0 Replies