Cheney lies to Congress, media snoozes

hobitbob

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 09:37 am
I honestly am beginning to think that people don't want to know. That participatory politics in the US are coming to an end with the moo-ing acceptance of the majority. Sad
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 09:49 am
I have to go with hobitbob on this.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 09:57 am
People don't vote for the person they think is best, they vote for whomever appears to be the winner.

When people are asked poll questions, they don't answer with their beliefs, but with what they think is expected of them. When asked whom they support, they either dither or go with the apparent front-runner.

When you ask even intelligent people what they believe, they more often answer with a direct or indirect quote from the press or from a commentator associated with the winning side.

Sad to say, I'm not referring to the "masses" here, or those people we refer to as "the American public" (excluding ourselves). I mean pretty much all Americans, with a few exceptions. This disassociation -- this inability to think independently -- is a horror.

Those are the sociopolitical shocks I got when I first returned to the US. On the threshhold of the Reagan era. Twenty+ years later, I'm still shocked by it pretty much daily.
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 10:07 am
I agree with hobitbob as well -- people don't want to know about government corruption unless there is a blowjob involved. Maybe if the reports contained some implication of at least partial nudity, people would be more interested in what's going on with our country (and others).

I'm wondering...if we are lucky enough to get a Democratic candidate in the presidential run who loudly brings up all of this evil-doing by the Bushies, will the general public then listen? Will the mainstream press print more of this stuff, and maybe even on the front page?
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 10:14 am
A little earlier I opined that the Dems may be getting the idea that they should time their attacks, do their own version of an "October surprise." They have more than enough for two Octobers, so let's see if they do it!

Anyone checked up on the 9/11 commission lately?
0 Replies

Italgato

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2003 05:12 am
Two points:

Mamajuana said that Clinton lied.

Clinton did not lie.

He said he did not lie.

Why isn't Cheney being impeached?

Why aren't Senators and Representatives appearing on the floor asking for his impeachment?
0 Replies

hobitbob

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2003 07:48 am
Two words:
Republican
and
Congress
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2003 08:41 am
Neat. Sweet.
0 Replies