Thinking patterns (and how to minipulate them)

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 01:01 pm
Quote:
Mind altering drugs more often than not change people's life rapidly for the worse where mind altering scriptures "of truth" change one's life for the better.

I wonder if all those who have had their lives ruined because they let themselves be brainwashed by som sect leader would agree with you.

Of the two choices named, I think drugs are the least harmful. They do not seek to penetrate your mind and reprogram you.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 01:04 pm
aidan wrote:
Quote:
Ecstasy has brought millions peace of mind... that doesn't mean we should all do it and mandate its use to others.

Do you mean, chemical ecstacy or the natural variety? If you can achieve ecstacy naturally, I'd certainly advocate "doing" it and not exactly mandate using or employing whatever gets you there to others, but firmly suggest it. I think that definitely would transform the world.
(And I'm not implying it would be reading the Bible or Christianity for everyone).

Quote:
Prozac has brought millions peace of mind... that isn't evidence that it links our mind to the divine.

Not exactly...not from what I read or have heard reported from the people who need to take antidepressants. I don't think you could call it peace of mind-it sounds more like lack of anxiety or panic or dread- and just about the furthest away you could get from "a link to the divine".

Quote:
I've read the entire bible cover to cover.

I have too. It doesn't confirm my belief in anything. I've just read it in the past (and still do) because I like the language and some of the ideas, themes, concepts and characters- especially Jesus. I'm more fond of him than God though- except when I think of God as the creator of this earth. But I'm not that crazy about how God interacts with humans in the Bible-that's where I think Jesus does a much better job.

Quote:
I think if more people did that, they'd abandon Christianity.

Obviously, a lot of people have seen it differently.

I understand why you see Christ as a more benevolent being than God...

Yet it was Christ who revealed the loving nature of God (for God IS love) and that the "holy" spirit within is needed to discern the true acts of God in the old testament.

Christ revealed there are two Gods not only one...

So we need to be skeptical when reading the old testament as to which "God" is being referred to.

If the old testament is portraying God as an angry vindictive murderer then the spirit reveals it is the god of this world. Where when the old testament is revealing God as a deliverer then it is the one and only "true" God that the spirit reveals.

This is why our spirit teaches us and why one of the manifestations of the spirit is "discerning of spirits". So when we look at the old testament we can clearly discern with the spirit the acts of the true God. For if the old testament truly portrayed God in an accurate light there would have been no need for a new testament.

For instance it was the God of this world that caused the flood and the one true God that delivered Noah and his family. Thus the same logic can be applied in most all old testament stories.

With this knowledge revealed by the son of God we can once again trust God and see God for the loving creator that God is.

For creators create and destroyers destroy...

Peace with God...

Adian, thanks for your input in this post it is surely welcome and abundantly appreciated.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 01:06 pm
Cyracuz wrote:
Quote:
Mind altering drugs more often than not change people's life rapidly for the worse where mind altering scriptures "of truth" change one's life for the better.

I wonder if all those who have had their lives ruined because they let themselves be brainwashed by som sect leader would agree with you.

Of the two choices named, I think drugs are the least harmful. They do not seek to penetrate your mind and reprogram you.

Well then it was a lie rather than the truth they were taught just as mind altering drugs conceal a lie within their promise of fulfillment and happiness.

The profit of God is everlasting...

To wash one's brain with truth is not a detrimental thing...
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 01:16 pm
The is why the god of this world is called "the prince of the power of the air" because the promise of fulfillment is merely an illusion.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 01:26 pm
Yea, it probably was a lie. But isn't everything? Our naming things and categorizing them results in a dualistic orientation in the world, both physically and mentally.

You'd probably say you know the truth, and not the lie. As much is implied in your statement. And for all I know you do know the truth. Only, when you try to tell it to me you lie involuntarily. This truth is a concept of absolute unity, and as such, it cannot be conveyed by relating aspects to eachother as we usually explain something concrete.

You might say that god punishes all sinners. To me that could sound like a lie. But if I knew your entire reasoning, even the parts you are not aware of yourself, I might understand the truth you were trying to convey.

And that is the way of words. Due to the grammatical restrictions of our language, to tell the truth would take longer than to experience it. You'd have to talk your whole life, and you'd never finish, because words are simply inadequate.

But the mind goes beyond words, and what needs thousand pages to describe can be concieved in the mind as one single concept in a split second.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 01:43 pm
I'm still waiting for a succinct answer to the original question of how to change thought patterns. I think chumly probably had the most practical idea so far. But it seems some here think you need to have some fundamental spiritual change in order to make thought pattern changes and have them "stick."

Do I have that right?
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 02:21 pm
Kicky said:
Quote:
I'm still waiting for a succinct answer to the original question of how to change thought patterns. I think chumly probably had the most practical idea so far. But it seems some here think you need to have some fundamental spiritual change in order to make thought pattern changes and have them "stick."

Do I have that right?

I don't think it has to be a spiritual change- unless you're trying to make a change in the spiritual aspect of your life. In order to change simple behavior or thoughts about behavior- I think Chumley's idea is a beginning, but in order to move onto fundamentally changed automatic thought, that is not brought about by applying negative stimulus, there does need to be some replacement for that stimulus introduced as well as the negative reinforcer that's applied to help link negativity with whatever thought it is so that you're not tempted to think about it.

Say I liked diet coke. Someone told me to think about acid eating at my teeth and stomach everytime I wanted a diet coke. Well, I could do that, but if I was thirsty and didn't have anything else to drink, I'd still drink that diet coke- acidic picture or not.
But if I used the negative reinforcer of the acid on my teeth, and before I got thirsty the next time- had stocked my refrigerator with water instead of diet coke- I'd be much more likely to successfully change that habit.

I use the Bible as an example. I fully believe it was written by humans, but as I said, I think it has a lot of good ideas for life, and a wonderful example of how to treat other people, in the person of Jesus of Nazareth.

I can't do anything about the fact that other people have bastardized the message of Christ to their own ends except quote GK Chesterton, who says:
Quote:
The Christian ideal has not been tried and found wanting; it has been found difficult and left untried.

I think this is true. I don't think very many people have ever followed the Christian ideal- which is Jesus' example- and the original purpose of the Christian faith. I think if they did, the world would be a better place- and I agree with Rex that there would be a lot of changed thought patterns.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 03:54 pm
WOW!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 30 May, 2007 04:13 pm
Thanks, aidan. I'm going to think about that. I'll come back on this thread if I have any more questions or comments about it.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 12:31 am
Cyracuz wrote:
Yea, it probably was a lie. But isn't everything? Our naming things and categorizing them results in a dualistic orientation in the world, both physically and mentally.

You'd probably say you know the truth, and not the lie. As much is implied in your statement. And for all I know you do know the truth. Only, when you try to tell it to me you lie involuntarily. This truth is a concept of absolute unity, and as such, it cannot be conveyed by relating aspects to eachother as we usually explain something concrete.

You might say that god punishes all sinners. To me that could sound like a lie. But if I knew your entire reasoning, even the parts you are not aware of yourself, I might understand the truth you were trying to convey.

And that is the way of words. Due to the grammatical restrictions of our language, to tell the truth would take longer than to experience it. You'd have to talk your whole life, and you'd never finish, because words are simply inadequate.

But the mind goes beyond words, and what needs thousand pages to describe can be concieved in the mind as one single concept in a split second.

We must prove the truth and life is the proving ground...

Ephesians 5:10
Proving what is acceptable unto the Lord.

2Timothy 3:16
All scripture is given by inspiration of God [God breathed], and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for [which is] instruction in righteousness:
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 31 May, 2007 10:30 am
Actually, I think everyone knows the truth. It is hardwired into us. Words tend to get in the way though, so most of us think we don't know it because we cannot articulate it.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Thu 14 Jun, 2007 11:18 am
RexRed wrote:
Adian,

Thanks for your quick and exacting reply. You hit the nail right on the head. Smile

I used the word suppression because I knew it was a touchstone word that is used by the psychiatric community.

I think we both brushed on this subject a couple thousand posts back.

True "suppression" seem like a bad choice of word.

Suppression would indicate that our undesirable thoughts always remain lurking under the surface. Yet indeed this is how our habit patterns seem to function. We can over come our suppression by the miracle of God over time.

YET often with the old mind thinking they seem like they have been replaced then they rear their ugly head when a person is weak and at the most inopportune of times.

When a person feels good about themselves and they come up and say, this anger is justified or just one drink won't kill me and so on 'till people end up back in the same boat being swept downstream with the flow of the minds negative currents.

These thoughts need to be simply cast down. But the rationalization of the ONE mind says they cannot just ignore them because they are woven into the fabric of the seemingly only mind that they have to use to also make vital decisions. So the mind appears to have a monopoly and an ability to justify the needs and wants no matter the cost. The heart blinds the mind of it's duty to the self and people are easily led astray by the dictates of the wants over the needs.

Ridding the self of some of the habit patterns are often linked to a persons very survival. Yet it seems on a daily basis we witness people failing to resist the minds influence and going out in a flash of negative brilliance.

I am not disagreeing that suppression is not a good word but I think that is what in essence must be done. When we resist the OLD mindset enough the mind (devil) will eventually flee from the pursuit.

One must acquire a NEW MIND to overcome the old mind. Eventually the entire old mind must become rendered irrelevant. One must distance themselves from the normal thinking patterns and when these unwanted thoughts occur then they proclaim to themselves... "that thought came from the old mind." (not my will but thine be done)

That a person becomes conscious and believes to the extent that the new mind works where the old mind is irreparably broken.

HERE WE GO... (please take the time to read these carefully) Keep in mind the MIND...

2Corinthians 10:5
Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment: Is casting down the same as suppressing?

Isaiah 65:17
For, behold, I create new heavens and a new earth: and the former shall not be remembered, nor come into mind.

1Corinthians 2:16
For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? But we have the mind of Christ.

Ephesians 2:15
Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;

Ephesians 4:24
And that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.

Comment: The new person inside is created by God for us to utilize.

Colossians 3:10
And have put on the new man, which is renewed in knowledge after the image of him that created him:

Comment: The new person or mind is adorned thought by thought.

James 4:7
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.

Comment: Suppress/resist the devil and he will eventually flee.

Ephesians 6:11
Put on the whole armour [mental "athletic" gear] of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.

Ephesians 6:12
For we wrestle [athletic imagery] not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Comment: Again this is with the NEW inner person

Ephesians 1:18
The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints,

Comment: Does our understanding have "EYES"? If it has eyes then there must "biblically" be a whole inner person in the mind.

Many people do not know what a psychological document the Bible is. It is a wealth of truth concerning the thought and it sets right many of the errors of the psychological world.

For instance it is one thought at a time not one day at a time. And to dwell on our shortcomings are to only magnify them we have to take two minds and eventually let the mind of Christ (over time) win out. Cast down the thoughts realizing they are part of the mind that was corrupted by the mind of the world. (not out of law but the law of liberty)

It is a thought by thought process. Our habits are sewn together in the mind like a strand of entwined threads. Each thread represents a habit. Like undoing macrame. You unfold one thread over and then unfold the next. Each thread goes deeper into the psyche.

Ephesians:16
That he would grant you, according to the riches of his glory, to be strengthened with might by his Spirit in the inner man [person];

Romans 3:22
Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference

Comment: The chruch has the believing capacity (faith) of Jesus Christ embodied in the new mind that God freely creates in us. This new mind is to help believers overcome these suppressed desires. So one should go to God FIRST for help to become "perfect" instead of becoming perfect then going to God.

Mt 6:33
But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

Comment: A believer can only overcome the old mind with the new mind, created in Christ Jesus unto all good works.

So it is a constant renewing of the mind thought by thought realizing the a the old mind is seriously flawed and incapable of change on it's own.

Because the old mind lives by the nature of the world (flesh) where the new mind lives by the nature of God (spirit).

The old nature gets worse and worse (this is what corruption means biblically) where the new nature gets better and better.

Ephesians 2:3
Among whom also we all had our conversation in times past in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind; and were by nature the children of wrath, even as others.

2Peter 1:4
Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.

Ephesians 6:4 Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate [heart] of righteousness; 15 And your feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace;

Comment: The new person inside the mind has the loins, heart and feet of the will.

Loins = commitment center of the will
Heart = the believing center of the will
Feet = the action center of the will

So if a person is not acting (feet) on their new minds will perhaps they are not believing (heart) properly and if they are not believing properly perhaps they have not made a commitment (loins)... the precesses of the mind progress in that order.

Isn't the word of God magnificent?

Peace with God

Thanks for writing this Rex. I need all the help I can get right now.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 9 Jul, 2007 10:59 pm
You are very welcome Bartikus,

All that we are naturally and all that we perceive (5 senses wise) becoming in this life is an illusion of the flesh.

An image of a self that is created by the course of this world.

We follow the course of this world until we begin to emulate it and we identify ourselves with it.

Yet the course of the spirit stands in complete contrast to the course of this world.

For the courses of this world lead to death and failure. They lead to old pyramids with dead kings bones, eternity only that of this temporal world and pure silence and void.

The flesh returning to dust and decay.

So we are seemingly trapped in the flesh, science can facilitate our lives but it cannot facilitate our journey beyond this life.

This takes the mind of the spirit born within the conscious psyche.

To thus rise above the course and goals of this world, to rise above the self and to lay down the soul for the creator of the spirit is divinity.

One must leave this world then return again to save it.

For when we identify with the spirit this is the moment our future with God is sealed. For we become part of God and God part of us.

It is this righteousness of God in us that justifies our spirits and reveals the course of this world. For without this light the darkness of this world would only serve to eventually extinguish all hope. For had not the glorious gospel of the prince of "peace" come to shine within our minds and souls we would be lost without knowledge of the spirit.

So the flesh cannot please God without the holy spirit within, for it is this holy spirit that is our righteousness not our flesh.

It is the new identity inside that is who we are not the identity that has been laid out by the course of this world.

Our temple is built by God and not by our own hands or the hands of others.

Our destiny is God 's providence not our own, only through God's eternity can we find our own eternity.

Ephesians 2:2
Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:

Comment: power of the air = illusion

The children are disobedient to the spirit of truth because they walk by the spirit of the illusion of this world. They walk and judge others by the outer reality instead of the inner truth.

They walk with a mind and view toward the flesh and law (disobedience) instead of a mind toward the liberation and peace of the spirit.

Just as knowledge of good and evil brought sin and law to the world knowledge of the spirit of truth brought grace and the law of liberty to the world.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 03:01 pm
Here is something else I just wrote...

A inquiry on the value of zero in light of spiritual matters. About the trinity and it being referred to as time being past, present and future. (kind of a vague but thought provoking answer)

I consider the trinity not representing the value of "one" but instead representing "zero" in a quantum state (possibly even binary).

Where zero is the seed of all numbers. This is my own unique idea and seems truly plausible.

Where unity does not equal "oneness" but the lack of any value. Oneness with zero... Meekness and humility to the creator of all value. Zero equals creator and one equals creation. The value of one must reflect the nature of zero to become eternal which would be zero in a quantum state of eternal "timelessness". Where matter and mass transcend the physical model of the universe.

And zero reflects in it's creative ability omnipresence on the "timeline" and all of the vector planes of creation show their abeyance to an imageless, sizeless point. As infinity in PI is also the diameter of a circle (seed).

A point has no length, breadth, depth or height. Only God can reveal the hidden value of all numbers.

Mt 11:27
All things are delivered unto me of my Father: and no man knoweth the Son, but the Father; neither knoweth any man the Father, save the Son, and he to whomsoever the Son will reveal him.

Comment: When we are created (born again) in the "image of zero" we become quanta.

Peace with God
RexRed
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Mon 23 Jul, 2007 03:29 pm
Cyracuz wrote:
Actually, I think everyone knows the truth. It is hardwired into us. Words tend to get in the way though, so most of us think we don't know it because we cannot articulate it.

2Corinthians 3:2
Ye are our epistle written in our hearts, known and read of all men:

Comment: The laws are no longer written in stone but in our hearts.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 07:41 pm
RexRed wrote:

Take your pick

Mind altering drugs (prescribed) have turned my kidneys into (nearly) stone.

I still place my ultimate hopes in the Lord. I'm not sure I understand the Bible completely.

I pray that God bless you Rex. At the very least what you have written here has helped bolster my hope.

I have been in the psychiatric circles since the age of 16. I do not trust in their practices even if they mean well. God can turn it all around i believe.

Nay, I know he can.
0 Replies

Bartikus

Reply Sun 5 Aug, 2007 07:54 pm
Cyracuz wrote:

I find myself having much difficulty articulating thoughts, hopes, etc.

This is why I think God gives us a new language. Some things cannot adequately be put into words. May God be with you Cyracuz.
0 Replies

RexRed

Reply Sat 18 Aug, 2007 02:55 pm
Reading visions and trying to express some sense out of the people's grief and strife.

When it all still comes down to the mind and what we decide.

Do we listen to what we say or do we listen to reason?

What is reason? Must reason also be reasonable? Within reason rather than outside reason?

But we reason and make doctrines and these doctrine become our motivation.

Only the vision of the mind can free the self from it's own tyranny.

So if a doctrine does not lead one to the mind and "change" then they are not facing the problem but being played by the problem.

The flesh will ultimately pay the price for not living within reason.

So people make doctrines and do not realize that change is simply to REVERSE THEM...

These doctrines are subtle doctrines like I can't run or I can't eat. I can't care for myself.

People make these doctrines and they repeat them over and over to themselves.

Not if you are old or have a physical impediment that is not what I am talking about. I am talking about doctrines that we do not even sometimes realize they are part of our thought processes.

Doctrines that defeat.

If we place the opposite thought in the mind (this takes an aggressive action) then we will immediately "FEEL" differently.

Say the opposite and you will feel the opposite way.

But we get stuck in a circular spiral downward into a rut that is a trick of the mind.

A trick so subtle that our control is decided by our own nature rather than reason.

Our nature can be fifty fifty but reason is always true.

Where we should not identify ourselves with what we feel randomly but rather what we intentionally place in our minds consciously to feel.

I am not a very strong person,

I am not very good at gymnastics,

I suck at poker.

Shocked

How do you explain to people that their doctrines are why they are in such turmoil?

How do you teach them to reverse their thoughts?

To change their negative thinking patterns?

For some people it comes down to either change or die.

I'm very picky...

Where do all of these "doctrines" lead?

Where is the risk?

I am a poor swimmer,

I am afraid of heights,

I don't look good in blue

I hate math

Defeat is a simple slip of the tongue and the mind becomes a slave to words.

:wink:
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Mon 3 Sep, 2007 12:38 am
In partial answer to the original question :

1. Neuro Linguistic Programming
2. Awareness
- knowing your needs that trigger your thought patterns
- knowing your feelings in regards to the though patterns
- knowing your beliefs/values andmost especially where they come from
- knowing your hopes
- knowing your attachments...etc
3. Asking questions of yourself in the positive (eg 'what can I do to improve' rather than 'why can't I change')
4. Asking friends to help you develop new habits (ie practice in the real world)
5. Setting a task for yourself...and then a new one each time
6. Reading books on the subject (gives you greater awareness, new ideas)
7. Try and tie all the new ideas in together to make a big picture in your mind

Just some thoughts :wink:
0 Replies

hankarin

Reply Thu 6 Sep, 2007 05:58 pm
What is the most successful way to change unwanted thinking
Something more powerful that imperfect human thinking would be needed to change it. (Hebrews 4:12; Romans 12:2)
0 Replies