Bush, Cheney see Iraq as '51st state' (CNN)

Zippo

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 11:16 am
Quote:
Bush, Cheney see Iraq as '51st state': Max Cleland David Edwards and Mike Sheehan

Monday May 14, 2007

Former Sen. Max Cleland says the Bush administration sees Iraq as "the 51st state."

Appearing on CNN's Late Edition, Cleland, a decorated and disabled war veteran, said of Bush, "It is this president that vetoed full funding of the war, actually more money for the troops that he requested, but he rejected the exit strategy. ... It is time for an exit strategy."

Cleland also said after hearing a clip of Vice President Cheney, "This administration for five years has tried to make Iraq the 51st state. It won't work. It belongs to the Iraqis. ... We can't micromanage Iraq."

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n77/bushit_911/untitled.jpg

SOURCE

This is a metaphor, but dangerous thinking, nonetheless.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 438 • Replies: 7
No top replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 11:58 am
Dangerous thinking on the part of the Cleland, I presume.

More idiotic I would say.

What is it that makes these pundints (aka Nitwits) think what they have to say is relevant?
0 Replies

reverend hellh0und

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 07:46 am
Is his status as a disabled vet relevant?
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Tue 15 May, 2007 08:08 am
reverend hellh0und wrote:

No. Why should it be? I'm a Vet, and my opinion is based upon equal service to the Nation. Being a disabled vet is irrelevant.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 16 May, 2007 07:27 am
woiyo wrote:

No. Why should it be? I'm a Vet, and my opinion is based upon equal service to the Nation. Being a disabled vet is irrelevant.

He has been to war (like you) and has experience in these matters, so what he has to say is relevant. Merely because he says something you don't agree with don't make him irrelevant.

In other words his comments are just as relevant as any other vet that comes on TV talking about Iraq.
0 Replies

reverend hellh0und

Reply Wed 16 May, 2007 07:30 am
revel wrote:
woiyo wrote:

He has been to war (like you) and has experience in these matters, so what he has to say is relevant. Merely because he says something you don't agree with don't make him irrelevant.

In other words his comments are just as relevant as any other vet that comes on TV talking about Iraq.

So his status as a Vet makes his opinion count more? I am not following here.
0 Replies

reverend hellh0und

Reply Wed 16 May, 2007 07:31 am
woiyo wrote:

Thats my point. These leftist love to trudge out any vet that has the same opinion they do and imply thier veteran status means they have a more valid opinion than others. Yet when a veteran disagrees with them it seems they are nothing near as important., Laughing
0 Replies

revel

Reply Wed 16 May, 2007 07:44 am
revel wrote:
woiyo wrote:

So his status as a Vet makes his opinion count more? I am not following here.

Count more than who?

People that have been in wars; simply know what it is like and can offer an opinion based on their own experience.

Its like a reformed drug addict can identify with those wanting to recover from drugs. He/she can offer advice based on his/her own experiences.

I am not saying just because a person has experience in something means anything they say is right, but merely adds more data/information (can't think of a correct word) to the discussion so that people can form their own conclusions with more informed information. Other people with similar experience but different views can also add more informed information for people like me who have no experience can come to an informed understanding of events.

I am also not saying that just because a person has experience means that all other people who have different views are less credible, I am just saying that someone with experience adds to the discussion.

(don't really know why it is so hard to understand)
0 Replies