Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 05:10 am
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 542 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Mills75

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 03:00 pm
I would agree that 'W' doesn't really fit the description of a Christian, but he doesn't seem to be one of these philosophers, but rather conforms to the description of 'gentleman.'

So essentially Straus was, like Plato, a philosophical Elitist; but whereas Plato saw the philosopher kings as leading society to harmony and an enlightened awareness of the true nature of things, Straus believed the philosopher rulers should keep the masses in the cave and distracted with shadows. Does that just about sum it up?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 03:18 pm
Although i would never recommend that anyone attempt to engage S & C in a conversation (a complete waste of one's time), i have to say, Mills, that you did a wonderful job there in answering that silliness with precision.
0 Replies

Mills75

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 09:38 pm
Setanta wrote:
Although i would never recommend that anyone attempt to engage S & C in a conversation (a complete waste of one's time), i have to say, Mills, that you did a wonderful job there in answering that silliness with precision.
:wink:
Thanks. I guess reading The Complete Idiot's Guide to Philosophy came in handy after all.
0 Replies