Is 'The Daily Show' Patriotic?

xingu

Reply Sat 12 May, 2007 06:20 am
Wednesday, May 2, 2007
Is 'The Daily Show' Patriotic?
"What Is It?"

Actors and writers and directors have to understand human nature so that they may convey truths about it in their work. That forces them to often ask the question "What is it" about things which normal people don't usually give a second thought to. What is it, they ask themselves, what is it really?

We're going to take a look at patriotism this week and ask that question a couple of times.

Declaring Your Patriotism
A few weeks back, Bill Maher in his New Rules on Real Time, said: "You know, not to generalize, but the 29% of people who still support President Bush are the ones who love to pronounce themselves more patriotic than the rest of us. But just saying you're patriotic is like saying you have a big d**k. If you have to say it, chances are it's not true."

Now, that's funny, because it has a ring of truth to it. But is it really true? Are the people who are pronouncing their patriotism so loudly really the ones more likely to betray their country or to reveal secrets under torture faster than others? Probably not. There seem to be no indications that these people are either more likely or less likely to betray their country faster than anyone else who would be randomly chosen.

So the question is, since this behavior is everywhere, What is it? What is it really?

Imagine yourself arguing with a man who punctuates his argument with you with "I believe in the United States of America!"

What is that? That is a winning argument, because it has no counter-argument, and it puts the other side on the defensive, no matter what was being said. Notice that it is not a true argument, it is just a winning argument. It is not a fair argument, it is just a winning argument. A person who feels the need to resort to this sort of shtick, wants to win more than anything else. A person who resorts to this sort of argument wants to never be wrong.

And that's the answer to the question. The people who resort to these arguments are people who want to feel safe in their rightness. They don't want to think or to argue, they want to be considered right more than they want other things.

The Daily Show Is The Daily Show Patriotic?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 738 • Replies: 15
No top replies

Wilso

Reply Sat 12 May, 2007 08:30 am
It's a comedy for chrissakes.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 12 May, 2007 08:44 am
what wilso said...
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 12 May, 2007 08:49 am
need a definition of comedy?
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 12 May, 2007 08:51 am
so you don't think it's a comedy farmerman? Jesus I split my sides laughing when I watch .
0 Replies

Zippo

Reply Sat 12 May, 2007 09:01 am
farmerman wrote:
need a definition of comedy?

The Bush Administration? Very Happy
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 12 May, 2007 09:03 am
My response was in accord with you and Wilso. One can never gage how other people read a post. I watch Daily Show all the time and think its hilarious also . Some days though, the politicians arent up to providing good material as in others, so once a week there may be less comedy and more "clapping" but so F*in what? Leno is lame, I havent watched Letterman for years and I get much of my comedy from stuff like South Park, Reno 911, Hannity and Colms, and the Daily SHow.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 12 May, 2007 09:25 am
you and me both
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Sat 12 May, 2007 01:21 pm
The Daily Show may be comody but it is also a very good news source.

Quote:
It's no joke: IU study finds The Daily Show with Jon Stewart to be as substantive as network news

http://newsinfo.iu.edu/news/page/normal/4159.html
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 12 May, 2007 01:42 pm
saying the "daily show" is just a run of the mill comedy the show , is like saying "borat" is just a simple entertaining movie/video .
i think these shows hold up a mirror to society in which we can sometimes see ourselves - hopefully not too often .
hbg
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Sat 12 May, 2007 05:53 pm
I agree, Hamburger. Jon Stewart has a way to skewer the elite pols and media in a way that informs and also is humerous. Difficult to do...but he has great dexterity.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 12 May, 2007 06:18 pm
jon stewart had to make an appearance on wolf blitzer's afternoon news show to plug his show - no doubt by order of his bosses and was not himself at all - i'd say he was really annoyed having to appear .
wolf blitzer had a hard time to even get him to say a few words - i had to laugh at blitzer's effort trying to make him respond - it was definitely a NO SHOW .
hg
0 Replies

Vietnamnurse

Reply Sat 12 May, 2007 07:09 pm
Missed i! Out in the garden planting tomatoes!
0 Replies

xingu

Reply Sat 12 May, 2007 07:26 pm
He was on the Bill Moyers Show on PBS. He was very good there explaining his methods and style.

Here's a transcript;

http://www.pbs.org/now/transcript/transcript_stewart.html
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 12 May, 2007 08:00 pm
i did enjoy his appearances on bill moyer's show - obviously he wasn't putting on a command performance there .
i thought it was interesting to hear him say that since he now has two children , he's mellowed somewhat .
watched one of his older "new rules" dvd's and his performance was pretty scathing AND enjoyable .
hbg
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Sat 12 May, 2007 08:53 pm
xingu, "STEWART: Thank you very much. It was a pleasure to be here." And it was a pleasure reading the transcript. I missed the show somehow.
0 Replies