Baldimo

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 03:00 pm
Quote:
When Michelle Kosilek was convicted of murder in 1993, she wasn't known as Michelle.

She was Robert and was sentenced as Robert to life without the possibility of parole for strangling his wife. While in prison, Kosilek, a self-identified transgendered woman, legally changed her name. Later, Kosilek also had her gender condition recognized by the court.

Now, Kosilek, 57, an inmate at a maximum security all-male prison in Norfolk, Mass., would like the Massachusetts Department of Corrections to pay for her sex-reassignment surgery.

Rest of the story
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't see how the state should have to pay for elective surgery. To force the taxpayers to pay for a sex change is adding insult to injury when the person is convicted of muder. What in the world is this country coming to. It figures that the ACLU is involved. What ever is wrong and twisted your sure to find the ACLU involved. If it goes against what is standard morals for most of America you will find the ACLU on the other end thumbing their noses at mainstream America.

This guy should have been put to death. If continuing to have a penis is torture then let it continue as far as I'm concerned.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 776 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 03:51 pm
Gender Reassignment, ACLU and Death Penalty issues
You know ... regardless of anyone's liberal, conservative (or non-) political stance/bias, one has to see that his cause is without any real merit. I just can't see there being an effective counter-argument that the State has to pay for his/her sex reassignment. There are other far more important and worthy individuals or groups that deserve attention...children, handicapped, elderly, homeless, and poor single parents. The State has to focus effort and taxes on these priorities and not on convicted killers who want to change their pee-pees.

If this KILLER has to suffer with his/her having a penis...well, too bad. He's lived his life with it so far, let him suffer some more. If the State is going to pay for ANYONE'S sex change operation who's WORTHY, it should be a contributing member of society. Even then, I can't see allowing the State to pay for such an operation. Who knows his/her motivation?! Perhaps this cretin would prefer to be in an all-female prison so he/she doesn't keep getting raped or the crap beat out of him nightly.

The State is you and I and the people next-door - all the taxpayers...not some faceless entity. If this issue were put to a vote, it would not get 1% in favor. I'd much rather see the State pay for life-saving heart operations for children or organ transplants for someone who really can't afford it.

On a much different note (death penalty issue), I can't comment on whether or not this person deserves to die (as decided by the State)...as I don't know the case. The imperfections in the judicial system prevent me from approving an OK for the State to execute. Perhaps cop-killers would be higher on my list to approve for execution, but then that would depend on how well documented the evidence is.
0 Replies

revel

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 07:04 am
Re: Gender Reassignment, ACLU and Death Penalty issues
Ragman wrote:
You know ... regardless of anyone's liberal, conservative (or non-) political stance/bias, one has to see that his cause is without any real merit. I just can't see there being an effective counter-argument that the State has to pay for his/her sex reassignment. There are other far more important and worthy individuals or groups that deserve attention...children, handicapped, elderly, homeless, and poor single parents. The State has to focus effort and taxes on these priorities and not on convicted killers who want to change their pee-pees.

If this KILLER has to suffer with his/her having a penis...well, too bad. He's lived his life with it so far, let him suffer some more. If the State is going to pay for ANYONE'S sex change operation who's WORTHY, it should be a contributing member of society. Even then, I can't see allowing the State to pay for such an operation. Who knows his/her motivation?! Perhaps this cretin would prefer to be in an all-female prison so he/she doesn't keep getting raped or the crap beat out of him nightly.

The State is you and I and the people next-door - all the taxpayers...not some faceless entity. If this issue were put to a vote, it would not get 1% in favor. I'd much rather see the State pay for life-saving heart operations for children or organ transplants for someone who really can't afford it.

On a much different note (death penalty issue), I can't comment on whether or not this person deserves to die (as decided by the State)...as I don't know the case. The imperfections in the judicial system prevent me from approving an OK for the State to execute. Perhaps cop-killers would be higher on my list to approve for execution, but then that would depend on how well documented the evidence is.

Agreed with all of the above; go figure from this self proclaimed liberal.
0 Replies