missing WMD expert is found dead!

frolic

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2003 07:42 am
Quote:
Police searching for the weapons expert suggested by the government as the possible source for a BBC story on Iraq say the body they have found matches Dr David Kelly's appearance.
The body was found at 0920 BST by a member of the police team searching for Dr Kelly in a wooded area at Harrowdown Hill, near Faringdon, Oxfordshire.

Government adviser Dr Kelly, 59, went missing from his home in Southmoor, Abingdon, Oxfordshire, at about 1500 BST on Thursday.

The body was found lying on the ground, a police spokeswoman said.

She said items had been removed from Dr Kelly's house as they would in any missing person's inquiry.

The body was found around five miles from Dr Kelly's home.

Attention
Earlier this week, Dr Kelly denied being the BBC's main source for a story claiming Downing Street had "sexed up" a dossier about Iraqi weapons of mass destruction.

He appeared before the Commons foreign affairs committee on Tuesday.

MPs on the committee reacted with shock and disbelief at news of Dr Kelly's disappearance.

Quote:

SEARCH FOR DAVID KELLY
1500 BST: Told wife going for a walk near their home
2345 BST: Police informed he is missing
Last seen: Clothed in off-white cotton shirt, blue jeans, brown shoes

His family had contacted the police when he failed to return home by 2345 BST on Thursday.
Tony Blair, who is heading to Japan after his speech to Congress in Washington, has been informed about the discovery of the body.

Huge media attention has been on Dr Kelly since the Ministry of Defence said he had admitted meeting Andrew Gilligan, the BBC correspondent behind the controversial Iraq story.

Mr Gilligan said a source had told him that the dossier on Iraq had been "sexed up" by Downing Street.

The BBC correspondent has refused to name his source, but the MoD said Dr Kelly had come forward to say it may have been him.

Sensitive

Acting superintendent Dave Purnell, of Thames Valley Police, speaking to reporters in Wantage, Oxfordshire, said: "We haven't ruled anything out yet. Clearly there are people at the scene now and there is no further information as to the body that has been found apart from to say it is a male.

"This is clearly a sensitive inquiry at the moment. The family of Dr David Kelly have been aware of what the police have been doing in relation to the search for him."

Superintendent Purnell said the search for Dr Kelly continued with the police helicopter and around 70 officers.

He said the official's family were aware that a body had been found. A police family liaison officer is with them.

Harrowdown Hill, where the body is found, is an area popular with walkers but "quite off the beaten track", he added.

Graham Atkins, landlord of the Waggon and Horses pub in Southmoor, told BBC News Online: "Everybody at the pub really sends their best to the family. It is shocking news."

Police say Dr Kelly is an avid walker and has good local knowledge of the many footpaths surrounding his home.

His disappearance and failure to make contact with anyone was described by his family as 'out of character'.

Quote:
He is not used to the media glare, he is not used to the intense spotlight he has been put under
Richard Ottaway
Tory MP

Initial searches of the house, outbuildings and grounds of the property were completed in the early hours of Friday.
Checks of local hospitals have also shown no trace of Dr Kelly.

Dr Kelly is 5ft 8ins, of slim build and with grey receding hair and a white well-trimmed beard.

He has green/grey eyes and was last seen wearing an off-white cotton shirt possibly striped, blue jeans, with a brown leather belt and brown shoes.

Anyone who feels they may have information that can help in tracing Dr Kelly should call 08458 505 505.

A Ministry of Defence spokeswoman said: "We are aware that Dr David Kelly has gone missing and we are obviously concerned."

The ministry said Dr Kelly had at no point been threatened with suspension or dismissal for speaking to Mr Gilligan.

It was made clear to him that he had broken civil service rules by having unauthorised contact with a journalist, but "that was the end of it", said a spokesman.

Downing Street says it is "very concerned about news that David Kelly has gone missing". A spokesman said thoughts were with Dr Kelly's family.

Number 10 says "normal personnel procedures" were followed after Dr Kelly volunteered that he might have been the source of Mr Gilligan's report.

It was made clear to Dr Kelly that his name was likely to become public knowledge because he was one of only a small number of people it could have been about, the spokesman said.
After questioning Dr Kelly earlier this week, the Commons foreign affairs select committee said it was "most unlikely" he was the main source for the BBC story.

And they said Dr Kelly, who has worked as a weapons inspector in Iraq, had been "poorly treated" by the government - a charge strongly rejected by the MoD.

Quote:
There must be more to this than we had thought. I do not know what that means, I just think there is
John Maples
Foreign affairs committee

Committee chairman Donald Anderson told the BBC his "heart went out" to Dr Kelly's family as the search for the official went on.
Another member of the committee, Tory John Maples said he was "speechless" after hearing of the discovery of a body.

"If it is (Dr Kelly), it is just awful. What can you say? Nothing," he said.

"There must be more to this than we had thought. I do not know what that means, I just think there is."

Tory MP Richard Ottaway, another committee member, said: "He is not used to the media glare, he is not used to the intense spotlight he has been put under."

The BBC has rejected Mr Anderson's claim that Mr Gilligan was an "unreliable witness" who had changed his story about the Iraq dossier claims when he met the committee in private on Thursday.

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/uk_news/politics/3076801.stm

Natural cause?
Suicide? or ....? Confused Confused Confused Shocked Shocked How far would Tony Blair go to 'prove' his right?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 8,016 • Replies: 103
No top replies

frolic

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2003 12:07 pm
The Ministry of Defence is to hold an independent judicial inquiry into the circumstances leading up to the death of David Kelly, the prime minister's official spokesman said today.
The move has yet to be confirmed by the MoD itself, although a judge is expected to be appointed as early as this afternoon.

Mr Blair's spokesman, speaking as the prime minister arrived in Tokyo on the latest leg of his marathon diplomatic mission, said: "We have indicated that if this is Dr Kelly's body, then the government intends to hold an independent judicial enquiry.

"In these circumstances, people should not jump to conclusions and they should exercise restraint."
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2003 12:53 pm
"A man may have died as a result of the government's contempt for one of the cornerstones of democracy - a free and independent press"

link:
Tragic price of contempt for free press
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2003 09:10 am
BBC: UK police confirm Dr David Kelly slit his wrist and bled to death, as Tony Blair comes under intense pressure over the Iraq dossier affair.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2003 09:22 am
I only can recommend to read the Guardian on this, too (who knows, but the BBC is involved :wink: ):

http://www.guardian.co.uk/ - there are several (new) reports and comments.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2003 10:16 am
This is a story which hasn't had any play in the states (that I noticed) until Kelly died.

Seems odd that he'd both take an overdose of pills AND slit his wrist. It also seems odd to me that the entire matter would be worth a suicide. Another victim, one way or another, of the war in Iraq. Very, very sad.
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2003 10:30 am
Whether it's suicide or worse (as I suspect), we are all the losers when another courageous and responsible member of the human race dies leaving too many deadheads behind who will hardly know how or why he died -- or care.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2003 10:33 am
Well, it was pain medication. I can imagine that he would want to be dead but didn't want to go through excruciating pain while getting there.

So sad.
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2003 10:40 am
And is anyone remembering that sounds awfully like the suicide of Vince Foster? Will it make a difference that instead of a Dem in the White House it is a Bush? Since Foster's death was attributed to Hillary somehow, that was only "US" business. Now Dr. Kelly, this is another story and of global impact.
0 Replies

JJ

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2003 10:48 am
Piffka wrote:
This is a story which hasn't had any play in the states (that I noticed) until Kelly died.

Seems odd that he'd both take an overdose of pills AND slit his wrist. It also seems odd to me that the entire matter would be worth a suicide. Another victim, one way or another, of the war in Iraq. Very, very sad.

How do they know he ODed on drugs, so soon. It should take several days to do a complete drug analysis on the blood sample. :wink:
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2003 10:55 am
Quote:
Confirming Dr Kelly's death, acting superintendent David Purnell said: "A post-mortem has revealed that the cause of death was haemorrhaging from a wound to his left wrist.

"The injury is consistent with having been caused by a bladed object.

"We have recovered a knife and an open packet of Co-Proxymol tablets at the scene."

He said police inquiries were continuing but there was no indication at this stage of any other party being involved.

source: BBC
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2003 11:04 am
This is getting huge media coverage here, and on BBC Radio this afternoon there were calls from at least one Labour MP for Tony Blair to resign over this and related matters.

In Japan today, at Blair's news conference, a reporter (British I think) asked him "Mr Blair, have you got blood on your hands? Are you going to resign?"

Answer there came none.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2003 11:10 am
sozobe wrote:
Well, it was pain medication.

One of the stories about Dr. Kelly said that Co-Praxamol was commonly used in UK suicides. I couldn't find that story, but I did find this:

Co-Praxamol Indicated as factor in suicides

Quote:
Co-proxamol alone accounted for 5% of all suicides. Of 4162 drug related suicides, 18% (766) involved co-proxamol alone, 22% (927) tricyclic antidepressants alone, and 9% (368) paracetamol alone. A higher proportion of suicides in the 10-24 year age group were due to co-proxamol than in the other age groups. The odds of dying after overdose
with co-proxamol was 2.3 times (95% confidence interval 2.1 to 2.5) that for tricyclic antidepressants and 28.1 times (24.9 to 32.9) that for paracetamol.

Conclusions: Self poisoning with co-proxamol is particularly dangerous and contributes substantially to drug related suicides. Restricting availability of co-proxamol could have an important role in suicide prevention.

Fatal overdoses due to co-proxamol are the second most frequent means of suicide with prescribed drugs in England and Wales.

It may have been that he was using it for pain-relief, assuming he truly did do himself in, but it is also considered a dangerous drug. Interestingly, that study, published in May 2003, was from the Centre for Suicide Research at the University of Oxford, very near Dr. Kelly's home.
0 Replies

JJ

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2003 11:18 am
The opened packet was found near the body. So, maybe he was poisoned and the killers want he whole thing to look like suicide.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2003 11:23 am
Piffka wrote:
Interestingly, that study, published in May 2003, was from the Centre for Suicide Research at the University of Oxford, very near Dr. Kelly's home.

Faringdon Oxfordshire, UK. is situated 20 miles south west of Oxford.

I wouldn't use this study for all similar suicides in Oxfordshire as a proof for ... :wink:
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2003 11:38 am
Oh, I don't bring it up as proof of anything, as someone said, who knows if he even ingested it.

The study, btw, wasn't just about Oxfordshire. It was published in the BMJ two months ago. Here's the full title:

Co-proxamol and suicide: a study of national mortality
statistics and local non-fatal self poisonings
Keith Hawton, Sue Simkin, Jonathan Deeks

The suicide just seems a little strange. Did he have a presecription and why are questions I'd be asking. Was a knife there? Is the obvious motive that compelling? He seemed like a nice sensitive man and suicide is so cruel to your family.
0 Replies

JJ

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2003 11:48 am
That drug is a combination of:
acetaminophen and dextrpropoxyphene
0 Replies

Tartarin

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2003 12:28 pm
I have a macabre thought about this (not having tried to slit my wrists or commit suicide any other way): You take the pills to alter mood and help pain, and then you presumably want (if you don't like pain, anxiety and anguish) to go pretty quickly. You slit both wrists, no? Quicker, no?
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2003 12:56 pm
The whole thing stinks, from top to bottom. Someone in high office was not only calling the tune, but the cost. Dr. Kelly may of killed himself, but then again, maybe he didn't. It is possable to make a murder look like suicide
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2003 12:56 pm
But he only slit one wrist. I wonder if the acetaminophen also thins the blood so it is less likely to coagulate?

OAK -- It really does stink, doesn't it? It seems awfully suspicious and way too convenient. <Perhaps I read too many murder mysteries & spy thrillers when I was young.>
0 Replies