Hamster Dancin' Around the World

BillW

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2011 07:19 pm
@Barry The Mod,
Them are truly awesome pics - btw, aren't hamsters actually members of the seal family?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2011 07:28 pm
@BillW,
Wabbits like parched.

I ain't no goddam hamster!
BillW

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2011 07:35 pm
@dlowan,
Quote:
Wabbits like parched.

So, coneys are then part of the dromedary clan? Twisted Evil
dlowan

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2011 07:39 pm
@BillW,
BillW wrote:

Quote:
Wabbits like parched.

So, coneys are then part of the dromedary clan? Twisted Evil

No...but humans are just naked monkeys who dropped their tails like a gecko.
BillW

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2011 08:20 pm
@dlowan,
I still got my tail, I take it out and play with it at night time! Shocked
dlowan

Reply Fri 7 Jan, 2011 09:56 pm
@BillW,
That ain't a tail, honey.
BillW

Reply Sat 8 Jan, 2011 10:20 am
@dlowan,
It definitely ain't furry.......
0 Replies

PennyAroundTheWorld

Reply Thu 13 Jan, 2011 01:50 am
Hi all, I haven't got lost or flooded out although it is rather wet where we are. My heart goes out to those people and other little critters north of me in Queensland. So many volunteer organisations are helping from all directions it is wonderful to see.
Down south here in Victoria where I am staying with Nettie and her family, it is so wet as the rain is filtering in down from Queensland, some flooding is expected once again in the Loddon River which flows right past the town, but I am sure nowhere near as bad as those experienced in Queensland.
0 Replies

PennyAroundTheWorld

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 04:19 am
A lot has happened in the past couple of days regarding the impending floods in Kerang. We are now on major flood alert, the Loddon River is expecting to peak sometime Tuesday afternoon to Wednesday morning. Flooding is expected to last for many days. Also just south of the township near the river is a sub power station which is also causing much concern. If the water gets to it, the power will be turned off for safety reasons. This power outage could last for a number of days. The local council workers have built a massive levee around the sub station hoping to keep the water out. If the power gets turned off, it not only affects Kerang but many other smaller communities around here. Hopefully this will not happen.
We have seen some of the floodwater around us, is hard not to. It is brown, slow moving and smells disgusting.
PennyAroundTheWorld

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 04:27 am
http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z355/nettiek2003/Penny/floodwatersatnormanvilleturnoff.jpg
This pic was taken yesterday just out of the town, for the few minutes we were there we could see the water level rising before our eyes.
NettieK

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 04:38 am
@PennyAroundTheWorld,
When Penny said slow moving, she means nothing like the raging torrents seen on the TV footage regarding Queenslands floods.
0 Replies

NettieK

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 04:51 am
http://www.bom.gov.au/fwo/IDV67207/IDV67207.580001.plt.shtml
For those who like stats and readings this is what we are looking at with the levels at Kerang. Doesn't look too bad for us at the moment but under the graph, if you click on previous station it will take you to Appin South which is about 15 kms upstream from us. As you can see they are in the major flood level and are still rising.
*This data will change over time.
Please note Penny is safe and is constantly with me watching all the goings on, a mighty fine and interested hamster is she.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 10:20 am
@NettieK,
Yikes, Nettie and Not Ned and Penny - take care of yourselves, you hear? Thank you for letting us know what you are dealing with.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 10:52 am
@NettieK,
Wow.

Interesting charts. Now it looks like Appin South is reporting a minor drop, while your station is still rising.

Be careful everyone!
margo

Reply Mon 17 Jan, 2011 07:13 pm
Was only thinking of Penny the other day.

We just made the booking at our favourite restaurant for our Chinese New Year feast, and saw the pictures taken of Penny - about to dive into the traditional dish ( it's name escapes me!) She's one excitable (and enthusiastic) foodster!
0 Replies

Barry The Mod

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 03:51 am
@PennyAroundTheWorld,
Hey Penny,don't lose that whistle.You may need to be rescued.
0 Replies

NettieK

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 05:47 am
@ehBeth,
Apparently the Appin South readings are inaccurate, problems with the station.
ehBeth

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 05:56 pm
@NettieK,
Just saw this photo of the power substation - sandbagged all round - with leaking on the right side Sad

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs048.snc6/167805_479813002861_711347861_5906622_2376770_n.jpg

really puts things in context

be careful!
BillW

Reply Tue 18 Jan, 2011 11:23 pm
@ehBeth,
It's gonna be a different kinda Open this year Shocked

http://oi54.tinypic.com/vxgj11.jpg
0 Replies

NettieK

Reply Wed 19 Jan, 2011 12:34 am
@ehBeth,
Even if there is leakage, they have pumps on the go, reports to date say it is holding.
0 Replies