Hamster Dancin' Around the World

Montana

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 07:30 pm
I'm ready anytime as long as it's sometime during the summer, otherwise there really isn't anything going on around here where I could bring Penny.
I'm in a tourist attraction kinda place where everything is happening in summer, but comes to a dead stop come September.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 08:51 pm
I'm going to Wichita Falls, TX this weekend to visit inlaws, then a bunch of us are going to Dallas/Ft. Worth at the first of the week. Six Flags Over Texas on Monday. (Hubby has a conference at Texas Motor Speedway on Tues-Wed.) Then back to Tulsa on Thursday to repack, and fly to Seattle on Friday (27th) for my sister's 50th birthday celebration. They have a waterfront house north of Seattle near Anacortes. Then home on the 3rd.

Shall I take Penny with me?

The thing is, I won't be seeing all the sights in DFW or Seattle. Some for sure, but nothing like a complete tour. There's a very good possibility that someone else may be able to give her a better tour elsewhere during that time.

Not that I'm anxious for her to leave or anything. I've grown quite fond of her.

So I'll leave it up to the rest of you. What should I do? (Let me know in the next few days since we're leaving Saturday morning.)
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Mon 16 Jul, 2007 09:20 pm
Swimpy wrote:
dagmaraka wrote:
Just before that Prince will be here in Boston. Maybe Penny would like to be present for another gathering.

in the meantime, i'd be happy to send her off to cambodia if she has a few weeks of free time. it's crawling with my peeps there.

Penny's response.

fine. be like that. i don't ever have to meet Penny

<running away, sobbing hysterically>
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 06:08 am
Now dag, you know that the next trip you take you have dibs...

I'm definitely considering Boston, too, especially since the Boston crew didn't get a chance to write in the li'l notebook the first time around (is that right?)

Thanks for filling me in on Canada, ehBeth, that sounds good.

I'd like a nice big long stretch of open time before opting for Cambodia I think, as great as that sounds. Right now we have some dates we want to hit (ehBeth in Vienna, FreeDuck in Morocco), and I'd like to keep things free-flowing and low stress with lots of time-buffers.

No need for tourist attractions, Montana, that's cool but even just plain old landscapes differ so much from each other. Didn't you say you live right by the ocean? That alone would be interesting. ("And here's Penny checking out the view from my house...")

I'd still like to go back through and see who has expressed interest and try to schedule another regional clump before the Canadian clump... I should be able to do that by the end of the day today. Sound OK to you, Eva?
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 06:30 am
Depending on how tomorrow's interview goes, I may only have until September 1 for a stay in Munich. Just saying....
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 07:36 am
sozobe wrote:
...Sound OK to you, Eva?

Fine by me. Whatever you decide is great. Cool
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 07:55 am
dagmaraka wrote:
Swimpy wrote:
dagmaraka wrote:
Just before that Prince will be here in Boston. Maybe Penny would like to be present for another gathering.

in the meantime, i'd be happy to send her off to cambodia if she has a few weeks of free time. it's crawling with my peeps there.

Penny's response.

fine. be like that. i don't ever have to meet Penny

<running away, sobbing hysterically>

There, there, dear. <I've been dying to put that video here. You just gave me the opportunity Laughing >
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 10:07 am
Ok then, I'll be ready when Penny is ready :-D
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 03:43 pm
sozobe wrote:
Now dag, you know that the next trip you take you have dibs...

I'm definitely considering Boston, too, especially since the Boston crew didn't get a chance to write in the li'l notebook the first time around (is that right?)...

We enjoyed Penny's company immensely but we did not write in the book.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 04:02 pm
sozobe wrote:
the Boston crew didn't get a chance to write in the li'l notebook the first time around (is that right?)

That Walter!

The Empress asked me today how he was doing without her. Penny, that is. I told her he was pining away Cool
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 04:25 pm
It all sounds good to me, Soz. I'll keep my eye on the thread and enjoy her travels in the mean time :-D

Happy trails Penny :-D
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 04:29 pm
Gotcha.

OK, just went back through the whole thread again. First, I have to thank Walter and Eva again for the great photo tours. So cool.

Here are the people who have expressed interest so far (people who have already hosted her in italics -- preferences goes to people who haven't yet):

Walter
ul
dlowan
Montana
dag
CJane
Tai Chi
Noddy
Eorl
dys
margo
FreeDuck (slated for Decemberish)
ehBeth (has seen Penny but hasn't hosted her)
dadpad (Hey, where's he been?)
Thomas (but may only be in Germany until Sept.)
squinney (sigh -- may not be best time, will keep her on list in case she returns)
Fishin' (did he meet her when Walter came through? I forget. Didn't host anyway)
Diane
happycat (not sure of location: "East Coast")

So far, the most obvious "leg" is the Australian one! (Dlowan, margo, Eorl, dadpad.) Funny.

Hmmmm. Maybe:

1. Dys/ Diane (ABQ)
2. Noddy (PA)
3. Fishin' (Boston)
4. Dag (Boston)
5. Prince's party in Boston (dag as host probably) -- this'll be at some point during week of Sept. 30th -- Oct 6th. (Boston)
6. Tai Chi (Canada)
7. ehBeth in Tranna mid-Octoberish
8. ehBeth various places in Canada
9. ehBeth in Vienna
10. Tai Chi (Canada)
11. Montana (New Brunswick)
12. FreeDuck (Atalanta/ Morocco)

Does that work? The Canadian section is still tripping me up -- everything's kinda squooshed. First I had a Tai Chi before ehBeth and then ehBeth handing off to ul, but maybe it would work better if ehBeth takes Penny to Vienna and home again, then Tai Chi, then Montana...?

And is there anyone on Eva's upcoming trip (Texas, Seattle) who'd want to take a handoff?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 04:38 pm
I just looked it up - Canadian Thanksgiving is early this year Evil or Very Mad October 8th.

Maybe Montana (mid/late August) followed by the Boston/Prince get-together (fishin, dag et al mid September to early October), then Tai Chi (early/mid October), then Toronto (mid-late October), then the Vienna adventure (whenever we get on that plane in late October/early November)... European hand-off ...

(semi-edit - just saw your variant, Soz - I'd suggest Montana sooner rather than later because of the location - late summer in her area is loverly loverly loverly)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 17 Jul, 2007 04:45 pm
That looks good!

So, revised:

1. Dys/ Diane (ABQ) (late July)
2. Noddy (PA) (early August)
3. Montana (New Brunswick) (Late August)
4. Fishin' (Boston) (early Sept.)
5. Dag (Boston) (late Sept)
6. Prince's party in Boston -- this'll be at some point during week of Sept. 30th -- Oct 6th. (Boston)
7. Tai Chi (Canada) (early Oct)
8. ehBeth in Tranna (mid Oct)
9. ehBeth various places in Canada (mid Oct)
10. ehBeth in Vienna (late Oct/ early Nov)
11. Euro handoff (early Nov -> late Nov)
12. FreeDuck (Atalanta/ Morocco) (Dec)

Only thing that worries me there is the turnaround between Euro handoff and getting Penny back to FreeDuck in time for Morocco -- but we can wait to finalize that part.

Number 1 through 4, does that look good to you?
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 07:16 am
I'll pm Dys, just to make sure.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 07:57 am
I was hoping numbers 1 through 4 would mosey on in, but I understand that you wanted to have this decided ASAP so I'll PM all of 'em (have you already PM'ed Dys?)
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 08:08 am
Ah!

Again, one of the main things I wanted for Penny's journey was for it to be unhurried and low-stress. No problem at all to just leave her at home when you make your trips, Eva, and then send her on to wherever when you get home.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 08:09 am
Hey, where'd Walter's post go?

He indicated that dys/ diane might be hard to reach for a bit.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 08:47 am
Here we are--at least here I am. We both are looking forward to Penny's visit here in New Mexico.

She will find out what hot and dry means in the high desert, but we have plenty of Mexican beer and margarita's.

Maybe I'll send some lavender from our garden along with her. I don't know how well it'll travel, but the scent will linger on.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 18 Jul, 2007 08:48 am
She'll like it, I'm sure (she saw already quite a few pics from there) :wink:
0 Replies