Keith Olbermann to Get First Molly Ivins Award From AAN

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 08:40 am
Keith Olbermann to Get First Molly Ivins Award From AAN
By Joe Strupp - E & P
Published: May 09, 2007

MSNBC's Keith Olbermann will receive the first Molly Ivins Award from the Association of Alternative Newsweeklies later today, according to AAN officials.

"I'm utterly honored," Olbermann said in a statement, "largely because I'd still like to be Molly Ivins when I grow up."

The organization, which represents 125 alternative publications, created the award to "honor those who practice the same bold, fearless journalism for which Ivins was renowned during her years as co-editor of AAN member The Texas Observer and as a syndicated columnist."

"Describing her own style of writing, Molly Ivins once wrote, 'Satire is traditionally the weapon of the powerless against the powerful.' That's the sort of journalism we recognize today, that which holds those in power accountable in the court of public opinion," said AAN President and Memphis Flyer Publisher Kenneth Neill. "Keith Olbermann speaks truth to power with wit and style, just as Molly did."

Olbermann will receive the honor during a lunchtime event at the Marriott Marquis Hotel in New York, where the annual Newspaper Association of America convention is being held this week.

Olbermann, a former ESPN broadcaster, hosts the nightly "Countdown with Keith Olbermann," which has gained ratings strength in the past two years. Ivins, the longtime columnist, died Jan. 31 at the age of 62 after a long battle with cancer.

AAN officials stated in a release that Olbermann's show "is notable for its literate writing, fast-paced delivery, historical and pop-culture references and the host's signature wit, all of which make 'Countdown' one of the most vital and colorful newscasts on the air."

AAN plans to donate $2,000 in Olbermann's name to the Molly Ivins Fund for Investigative Reporting at the Texas Observer, stating "Ivins remained a passionate supporter of the non-profit bi-weekly newsmagazine until her passing."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 387 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 07:17 pm
Thanx for the heads-up on that, BBB. I'm not all that familiar with Olberman's work (hardly ever watch TV), but I dearly cherish the memory of Molly Ivins. I, too, want to be Molly Ivins if I ever grow up.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 09:07 am
Merry
Merry Andrew wrote:
Thanx for the heads-up on that, BBB. I'm not all that familiar with Olberman's work (hardly ever watch TV), but I dearly cherish the memory of Molly Ivins. I, too, want to be Molly Ivins if I ever grow up.

I can't think of any journalist who can match the clever wit of Molly Ivins as she skewered an idiot---except possibly Mark Twain.

BBB
0 Replies

paull

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 01:11 pm
I think that this is entirely suitable, and that some find it an honor, quite telling.
0 Replies