Harvard to Serve Cage-free Eggs!

Miller

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 12:17 am
College dining halls to serve cage-free eggs
By Jay Fitzgerald

Boston Herald General Economics Reporter
Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Harvard University dining halls will be the latest to serve up eggs that don't come from caged hens, which activists say is cruel treatment.
Harvard yesterday said it will join other universities and corporations that have already vowed to stop buying whole eggs from farms that use so-called "battery cages" to house hens.
"I'm thrilled," said AnnaLise Hoopes, a Harvard graduate student who last fall started the campus crusade to promote eggs from cage-free hens.
"It's a reprehensible form of cruelty," said Paul Shapiro, a director at the Humane Society of the United States, referring to tiny cages where chickens are kept on many farms. Chickens in such cages can't even stand or spread their wings for their entire lives, he said.
Harvard joins such schools as Tufts, Princeton and Dartmouth in the anti-cage movement. Corporations that have also banned or vowed to ban battery-cage eggs include Ben and Jerry's and Finagle A Bagel.
Harvard University Dining Services will now buy its whole eggs from Pete and Gerry's, an organic farm in Monroe, N.H.
And they'll buy a lot of eggs - about 500,000 a year, costing an extra $20,000.
The dining services will continue to use "liquid eggs" served in cartons, which can use eggs from hend kept in cages.
But Hoopes said she's just happy, for the time being, that Harvard is changing the type of whole eggs it buys.

Boston Herald
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,521 • Replies: 15
No top replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 12:36 pm
"Harvard students to contract bird flu." (hee hee hee)
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 12:37 pm
I wish all eggs were from cage free birds.

The poultry industry is so so sad....
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 05:02 pm
Too bad, all birds aren't "cage-free".
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 05:03 pm
I know why the caged bird signs
It sings for thee

Wait, that's not right.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 05:05 pm
The bell, the bell...
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 05:13 pm
Quote:
I know why the caged bird signs

Hearing loss??
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 9 May, 2007 05:21 pm
WHAT?!?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 06:37 am
The caged bird probably sings because it's so doped up on the crap they pump into it that it doesn't know it's caged and soon to be dinner.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 02:21 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
The caged bird probably sings because it's so doped up on the crap they pump into it that it doesn't know it's caged and soon to be dinner.

The caged bird sings, because it's fat and happy!
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 02:36 pm
A couple who spent years following a wolfpack in Idaho were astounded that the most varied and "soulful" songs were howled by the pack's omega.

I wasn't surprised in the least. Would you rather hear John Mayall sing, or John Lee Hooker?
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 02:45 pm
Miller wrote:
Bella Dea wrote:

The caged bird sings, because it's fat and happy!

Do these caged birds look fat and happy to you?

http://www.wesleyan.edu/wsa/warn/eon/photos/hens/images/HensInCages01.jpg

Or these?

http://www.all-creatures.org/anex/chicken-egg-17_small.jpg

Or these?

http://www.freefarmanimals.org/gallery/batthens05.jpg

Anyone who thinks that chickens aren't tortured for us to consume....
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 02:53 pm
Why don't we have more cage free facilities?

Or free range farms?

Can it really be that more expensive and time consuming?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 03:22 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
Why don't we have more cage free facilities?

Or free range farms?

Can it really be that more expensive and time consuming?

Yep.

Maybe someone will come along and demonstrate that more humane practices actually will increase production, as is currently happening for dairy cows (go Badgers), but it's doubtful that anything more than minor improvements will be economically beneficial.

Any change will have to be consumer-driven, I think. Or legislated, which is doubtful.

It's funny that so many of us omnivorous think that it's more humane to eat beef than poultry (at least in my experience). The life of a beef cow isn't so great, but it's a damn sight better than the life of a broiler or laying hen. And the life of one steer or cow feeds a lot more people than that of a chicken or turkey.

But I'm a hypocrite -- I'll usually eat just about anything, though I do buy cage-free eggs at the store on the rare occasion that I buy them at all. (Yeah, I know, I'm a friggin' saint.)
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 03:27 pm
It just makes me ill to think about what my burger or chicken patty had to go through to get to me.

I know for sure it's more expensive to buy free range meat and cage free chickens. But IMO, the meat tastes better.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 03:34 pm
patiodog wrote:
Any change will have to be consumer-driven, I think.

It is, indeed. In the cheap (German) supermarkets - ALDI, Lidl - you only get free range eggs - in others, organic free range are most sold.

Chickens (broilers) are more and more free range, though you hardly find them (and nearly none organic) in the supermarkets: all sold in advance to restaurants, deep-freeze factories and organic supermarkets.
0 Replies