Bonds, steroids, ect...

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 08:28 am
Plenty of teens juice too. In high school, there was a handful of them in my class that did. It's a very dumb thing, physically, for a pre-18 year old to do, but they do it.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 10:22 am
Slappy DH wrote:
Personality? That has ZERO to do with whether or not someone's going to take steroids. When there's millions of dollars on the line, plenty of nice hard working guys will stick a needle in their ass.

maybe i'm just naive, but i think there are straight-laced players out there who's belief system prevents them from breaking the law, or breaking the rules.

i think tek falls into that category...
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 10:30 am
I think it's probably roughly about the same percentage as the amount of college kids taking hallucinogenic drugs in the 60s.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 10:41 am
Region Philbis wrote:
kicky wrote:
I'm sure Mitchell being director of the Red Sox had absolutely no impact at all on the fact that all those big-name Yankees got named and virtually no Red Sox did.
not true...
[URL=http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2007/12/14/a_long_star_studded_drug_roster/]Bahstin Globe[/URL] wrote:
The former Red Sox players cited in the report - in addition to Clemens, Vaughn, Gagné and Canseco - included Brendan Donnelly, Jeremy Giambi, Mike Lansing, Kent Mercker, Mike Stanton, Paxton Crawford, and Manny Alexander. The ones who previously had been linked to steroids in published reports are Vaughn, Canseco, Giambi, Crawford, and Alexander.

Mitchell, who is on leave as a director of the Red Sox, also responded to criticism that he may have favored the team or league owners in his report.

"Judge me by my work," he said. "You will not find any evidence of bias or special treatment of the Red Sox or anyone else."

Well then the media has it in for the Yankees, because other than that little blurb there, it's been all Yankees juiceheads all the time for the past week.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 21 Dec, 2007 10:50 am
the report was littered with NY players because mitchell is based there, and was unable to get more people to talk.

he had to settle for a Yankee trainer, a former Met clubhouse attendant, and Blue Jay frank thomas.

if he had conducted the investigation from the west coast, you would've seen a lot more west coast players mentioned...
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 22 Dec, 2007 08:24 pm
[URL=http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/21/sports/baseball/21fame.html?ref=sports]Noo Yawk Times[/URL] wrote:
In deciding whether a player is worthy of the Hall, voters are asked to consider a player's record, playing ability, contributions to a team, integrity, sportsmanship and character. The last three are the reason some voters said they will not put an X besides the Clemens box or the Bonds box.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 23 Dec, 2007 09:52 am
Region Philbis wrote:
Slappy DH wrote:
Personality? That has ZERO to do with whether or not someone's going to take steroids. When there's millions of dollars on the line, plenty of nice hard working guys will stick a needle in their ass.

maybe i'm just naive, but i think there are straight-laced players out there who's belief system prevents them from breaking the law, or breaking the rules.

i think tek falls into that category...

You're right, there are. My friend refused to take steroids, and he's pissed now, considering he got up to AAA, never got a break, and was competing in a very juiced field. According to him, he was in the small minority. The minors may be worse, since they're all trying to get a shot.

My point is, it's impossible to judge whether or not an athlete has that viewpoint. I know it's a romantic notion to think someone like Varitek would never do it, and hopefully he didn't.

Personally, I'm one of those who don't care if athletes juice. So in a way I was hoping one of "ours" like 'Tek's name was going to be out there, just to hear the stupidity floodgate open on local sports radio.
0 Replies