Bonds, steroids, ect...

Region Philbis

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 07:09 am
surprise, surprise, surprise...

Barry Bonds indicted on 4 perjury counts, obstruction of justice
Lance Williams, Chronicle Staff Writer
Friday, November 16, 2007

The perjury case against former Giants star Barry Bonds is built on documents seized in a federal raid on a Burlingame steroids lab and positive drug test results indicating that baseball's all-time home run king used steroids, court records show.

Bonds, perhaps the greatest hitter of his generation, was indicted Thursday on four counts of perjury and one count of obstruction of justice. He is accused of lying under oath in December 2003 when he told the grand jury that investigated the BALCO steroid ring that he had never used banned drugs.

The 43-year-old free-agent outfielder faces arraignment Dec. 7 in U.S. District Court in San Francisco, months of legal proceedings - and a federal prison term of about 30 months if he is convicted at trial, legal experts said.
(source)
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Fri 16 Nov, 2007 02:36 pm
This should be VERY interesting.

Both Anderson and his (Anderson's) attorney swear that they are ZERO part of the case.

This will have more than a few wrinkles yet.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2007 07:01 am
I don't like Bonds. I think he's an ass.

But... I also don't like the way he's been pursued about his steroid use in a way that no one else has, when so many others have effectively gotten away with it scott-free.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2007 07:02 pm
he won't be the only one in the spotlight for long.
the mitchell report will name some serious names...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sat 17 Nov, 2007 07:06 pm
Be really interesting to see what Selig does. (my bet is as little as he can get away with)

Baseball revenues reached $6 billion this year.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 05:04 pm
snood wrote:

But... I also don't like the way he's been pursued about his steroid use in a way that no one else has, when so many others have effectively gotten away with it scott-free.

He brings it on himself. If he didn't handle this whole thing like a jackass, he would be off scott-free also. But he had to break the record.

He's indicted for lying to a federal jury. When Giambi was questioned in court, he told the truth. If Bonds did the same, he'd be in a different situation right now. However, if he did tell the truth at the time, MLB probably would have found a way to prevent him from breaking the record.

Not to mention he gets the worst attention since many consider the home-run record the most coveted in all of sports.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 06:59 pm
How should he have "handled" it - not pursue the record?
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 07:11 pm
snood wrote:

I agree with this. I'm very negative about Bonds. But, the league owners and league management have watched people roid up for... is it decades now? Seems to me there has been tacit agreement, including by fans.

This is a tangent, typical from me --- But there is a century old horse race known to be so crooked that people still can't count on which horse will win...
or so I once read.
That's Siena's Palio, and, who knows, maybe other palios.

I hate to see baseball turn that way - though I know people probably used various stimulants over the history of the game.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 07:30 pm
I'ma step out a little here.

I never cared for Bonds, and his arrogant attitude.
BUT...He has actually handled this year with way more class than I thought he was capable of. He has been hated almost unanimously, and has not had a publicity nightmare, or even a rant on ESPN through it all. He has really said "All the right things."

I find myself amazed at how well he has handled the press through a gauntlet that I think few could have run.

AND he broke the record.

Imagine the stress he is under, especially if he is guilty, which I personally believe him to be.

Whatever the outcome, I think he has been subjected to overzealous pursuit, even if he invited some of it.

RH
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 07:35 pm
snood wrote:
How should he have "handled" it - not pursue the record?

Not lied to the court?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 07:59 pm
...how is that any different from the way others have "handled" it, when they were questioned? Why is it worse because Bonds did it?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 09:19 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
He's indicted for lying to a federal jury. When Giambi was questioned in court, he told the truth. If Bonds did the same, he'd be in a different situation right now.

That's one example.

And I don't think anybody feels it's any worse because it's Bonds, but it doesn't help he's not a very liked guy.

I do think the media storm on this is ridiculous. Steroids is not leaving professional sports anytime soon. Plus I hate hearing people speak on the subject who have zero clue to what they're talking about. Jesus, I've heard admitted steroid users call into sports talk shows saying things about steroids that are completely off-base.

And there's no "*" going next to the record. I don't think it's needed...nobody's going to forget he was a juicehead.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Sun 18 Nov, 2007 09:21 pm
I agree with Slappy Shocked

History will speak for itself here.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 19 Nov, 2007 05:33 am
And he's not going to hold the record for that long. A-Rod, I s'pect, will pass him soon enough.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 06:12 am
today's the day that the **** hits the fan...
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 10:02 am
Baseball's biggest black eye yet.

Glad I'm not in the media today, what a circus....
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 11:41 am
Former/Current Red Sox players I've heard:

Varitek, Nixon, Nomah, Julian Tavarez, Johnny Damon, Jose Offerman.

I love it. Finally people realize steroids are rampant in sports, and their "heroes" are included.

Varitek, if you've noticed, dropped about 15-20lbs between 03 & 04. His legs were absolute tree trunks before, and Nixon was pretty big too. Both those guy's names were tossed around with my friends and I when we'd discuss the subject.

Pujols? No sh!t!

I'd be very shocked if Gabe Kapler isn't on the list. Maybe he was smarter and got his stuff from other sources.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 11:46 am
Word is the Yanks are going down today.
0 Replies

Rockhead

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 11:46 am
Good point.

Todays list is only the careless cheaters.....
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 13 Dec, 2007 11:47 am
Rockhead wrote:
Good point.

Todays list is only the careless cheaters.....

Actually, I think it's a matter of which sources were cajoled into releasing information. For this report, that includes a trainer for the Mets, for the Yankees, and Giambi.
0 Replies