Living in Chicago in summer ( perhaps)

J-B

Reply Tue 8 May, 2007 07:25 am
I have noticed there is an enormous thread on Chicago in this area. But for the nature of my intention I prefer to start new a one here.

Recently I was informed that the University of Chicago, one in which I am deeply interested, would hold summer programmes for high school students. They are even open for international students and they won't be really expensive if I have won the tuition scholaship. Receiving the information made me immediately get prepared for application. Among a lot of considerations, is that where I am going to live. Certainly, living on campus has an advantage. But that will force me to apply for at least two courses --- which will make it very expensive. So I am now thinking of off-campus living --- so-called commuter students.

Are there cheap hotels or hostels near the U of C. Where can I find these places? Are there other ways to manage this problem?

I am really hoping that I can do a good job on this application and I will be very happy to visit Chicago this summer. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

J-B :wink:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,166 • Replies: 25
No top replies

Miller

Reply Tue 8 May, 2007 07:31 am
Have you considered applying to Harvard for this Summer's semester?

Cambridge Ma is an excellent place for any visiting student and a far safer environment than that associated with the University of Chicago neighborhood.

Good luck!
Laughing
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 8 May, 2007 07:33 am
Don't know much about Chicago, but I did find this:

http://apartments.uchicago.edu/realtors/hostel.html
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Tue 8 May, 2007 08:37 am
Hi Miller,

I am interested more in Chicago. More stories happened to me to make me prefer it. And in fact this is the first time that I ever heard about "summer programmes" of universities... Confused

Thanks for the safety concern! Smile

Hi, Phoenix

I will contact Chicago Youth Hostel. It seems very convenient. But will it allow me to book for no fewer than 3 weeks? As far as I know this is not how the youth hostels run.

Thanks every one, I will take some sleep :wink:
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 8 May, 2007 10:07 am
The resource linked by Phoenix is excellent. You might also want to look at the Chicago Youth Hostel website for more details.

You're right: hostels usually don't accept long-term guests. I have found, however, the some will make an exception. Contact the hostel and explain your situation.

Most off-campus apartments won't rent to someone who is only staying for the summer, but many students who leave during the summer will sub-lease their apartments. Probably the best place to look for sublets/temporary housing in the Chicago area is Craig's List.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 04:50 am
I am going to dial the following phone number (312) 360-0300 to Chicago Youth Hostel. Yet I have some questions. Is there a US code before dialing the number? Whatis the time now in Chicago when I am typing? My word, I found just found Chicago is part of Illinois, not "Michigan".
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 05:41 am
J-B, the time of your post above is 5:50 am on my system which is set to local Chicago time (CDT, or central daylight time). To dial the US you need to use a "1" prefix prior to the area code (312). You also need to dial whatever code you need to make an international call. I believe that code is "0" everywhere. The number will be 0-1-312-...
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 06:01 am
Good Morning then, JPB Smile Greetings from JB!

When is the earliest suitable for making a call?
And I have just found something interesting.
See these two links
First: Chicago Youth Hostel (link provided by phoenix)
Second: Hi-hostel in Chicago

Notice the telephone numbers they display. Aren't they peculialy the same?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 08:48 am
Chicago is a hot City in the Summer. Dress accordingly should you venture forth on the SouthSide. Shocked
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sun 13 May, 2007 07:56 pm
J-B wrote:
Youth Hostel (link provided by phoenix)[/URL]
Second: Hi-hostel in Chicago

Notice the telephone numbers they display. Aren't they peculialy the same?

They have the same phone number because they're the same youth hostel.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 06:48 am
Yeah, I have just found about it. Very Happy Shame on me.

I've found it's impossible for me to stay in youth hostel for more than 20 days. So I submitted my online materials yesterday, in which I chose the "dorm student". It will be so expensive that I begin to think of quitting if without tuition scholarships.
0 Replies

aidan

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 08:21 am
To make an international call to the US, you dial:
001- then area code and number.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 01:36 pm
J-B wrote:
Yeah, I have just found about it. Very Happy Shame on me.

I've found it's impossible for me to stay in youth hostel for more than 20 days. So I submitted my online materials yesterday, in which I chose the "dorm student". It will be so expensive that I begin to think of quitting if without tuition scholarships.

I don't think Colleges in general have Summer scholarships. There are loan programs for students however.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 05:45 pm
I wonder. I bet there is some organization that would sponsor you, J-B, but I'm just guessing, and maybe it wouldn't be this summer. Maybe some local chicagoans would have an idea if there are such groups. Hmmm, is there a chinese language department at the university???? You might ask them for advice.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 14 May, 2007 08:18 pm
International students may be having troubles gaining entry to the US, these days.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 07:54 am
After some weeks of preparations and troubles my entry is, by and large, ensured :wink:

(Though I am spoiled in my attempt to live exclusively in youth hostels)

I am now busy preparing for my courses.

I'd like to ask you one thing fellow Chicagorians (I guess it's the nearest word Confused ). Say, if I want to locate a video store, which is best to a secondhand one, not so far from Hyde Park, what are locations that you will recommend? I can easily reach them either by e-mail or by telephone?

You see, among the books and movies that will be studied in the course Spike Lee's Do the Right Thing. I have searched for the movie on the Amazon. Yet the price is somewhat too high, too high for a single movie. So...

Thank you Smile
JB
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 08:45 am
Ah, great news, J-B (I almost typed J_B Smile )

I don't have time to do a search for you right now. Just popping in to say welcome. When do you arrive?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 09:45 am
J-B wrote:
You see, among the books and movies that will be studied in the course Spike Lee's Do the Right Thing. I have searched for the movie on the Amazon. Yet the price is somewhat too high, too high for a single movie. So...

Thank you Smile
JB

Congratulations!

You may not need to buy or rent the video. Often when a movie is assigned for a class, a copy will be made available at the school library. Check the class syllabus or ask your professor if this might be an option.
0 Replies

J-B

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 11:23 am
Hi everyone, Thank you Smile

I will arrive on July7, after, presumably 24 hours of travel ( from Nanjing to Beijing customs at Los Angeles and domestic to Chicago crazy stuff...)

I WAS counting on the library, but this was what I received this morning...

Quote:
Welcome to Critical Perspectives!

The works we will be discussing this quarter include Shakespeare's Hamlet and Dickens' Great Expectations, as well as Spike Lee's Do the Right Thing. You should purchase the Norton Critical editions of the Dickens and the Shakespeare, which include essays we will be reading; these are available at the Seminary Coop or online through Amazon. You also should purchase Spike Lee's Do the Right Thing -- both the film (in whatever format you are able to most easily use on your own) and the book of the same title, with Lee as the author -- not to be confused with another book by Reid with almost the identical title. Lee's book includes the script. Here is its publisher information:
# Paperback: 336 pages
# Publisher: Fireside (June 15, 1989)
# Language: English
# ISBN-10: 0671682652
# ISBN-13: 978-0671682651

The Seminary Coop bookstoer does not carry films or dvds, and they say that the book is out of print. Both seem to be readily available on Amazon, however, so please go online now and purchase them.

Any ideas? Confused

JB
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 1 Jul, 2007 11:30 am
J-B, the video is available at Amazon for just 86 cents (used)...

http://www.amazon.com/Do-Right-Thing-Spike-Lee/dp/1558801596/ref=sr_1_3/102-8539018-4004117?ie=UTF8&s=video&qid=1183310815&sr=8-3

If it's significantly more expensive from China, perhaps you can wait until you get here to order. Do you know anyone in the program yet? You can maybe share copies, or that person can order for you and get reimbursed (with a bit extra for their trouble).
0 Replies