Iraqi lawmakers demand U.S. withdrawal

Zippo

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 10:02 am
Quote:
Iraqi lawmakers demand U.S. withdrawal

BAGHDAD, May 2 (UPI) -- As calls in the U.S. Congress grow for a scheduled troop withdrawal from Iraq, similar demands are escalating in Iraq's National Assembly.

Some 133 Iraqi lawmakers from different political blocs, calling themselves the "free deputies," signed a document demanding a scheduled withdrawal of the U.S.-led multinational troops from their country, according to the Sadrist bloc in Parliament.

A legislator from the Sadrist bloc, Saleh al-Okaili, told reporters Wednesday that his group initiated the document ahead of a U.N. Security Council review on Iraq slated for next month. The Sadrist bloc, whose Cabinet ministers had resigned, represents members of a group led by Shiite maverick leader Moqtada Sadr, who has been calling for setting a timetable to end the U.S.-British occupation of Iraq.

Okaili said the memo signed by the lawmakers in the 275-seat Parliament would be handed over to the U.N. Security Council and its secretary-general, the Organization of Islamic Conference and the Iraqi government.

"We call on the Iraqi government to refer to Parliament when discussing a review of the foreign presence in Iraq and not to deal unilaterally with the issue, as has been the case in the past," the lawmaker said.

upi.com

Bush promised we would leave Iraq when the Iraqi government asked. Well, they are asking.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 328 • Replies: 2
No top replies

timberbranch

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 02:40 pm
Bush will veto this as well. (I'm kidding).

Daily show pointed out something about why we went versus why we're not leaving:

(I'm paraphrasing, mind you)

Bush said we went to Iraq to remove an evil dictator from power. We did that, he's dead. Bush now states that since Saddam is gone, Iraq is a safe haven for terrorists, and we can't leave. So exactly what was the plan again?

I support our troops, but not Bush's decision to stay... could be a media spin, but it sure seems like our Government is waiting for something to happen, but they don't even know what. I'm too young to make any comparisons to Vietnam, but (like my son asks), "Are we there yet?"

B R I N G . T H E . B O Y S . B A C K . H O M E !
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Fri 4 May, 2007 03:00 pm
A little less than half of the lawmakers signed the document. A house divided. Surrounded by dead bodies.
0 Replies