SUV Rollover Deaths Hit High in US

SkisOnFire

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2003 06:44 am
Farmerman -- Can we invite a few SUVs for the RV Race?
I like playing tiddly-winks with them. Laughing

(Maybe I'll even get a snow-plow mounted for the occasion!)
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 09:46 am
Quote:
a ford festiva (shuddup!)

Friend of mine in high school had a Festiva (a car you can see brilliantly cast in "Election" -- not hers, but, you know, a Festiva). I talked her into letting my drive it down the Sierras when I still just had my learner's permit. Good stuff. The speedometer stops at 85, tho, so I'm not sure how much fun we all had. (Well, everyone else looked kinda scared.)
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 10:32 am
I drive a Tercel hatchback. The hood is rusting, but the damned thing runs when I need it to--how I can ever replace it?

Was in Portland this past weekend and saw a HUMVEE drive through a downtown street. Absolutely immaculate looking. How can anyone not be embarrassed to be seen in one of those?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 10:38 am
They think they're cool. They're proud to be seen in it.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 11:07 am
Really. Fly the flag...
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 11:27 am
Humvees be mad bling-bling, yo.

Then again, would you wanna scratch up a 60K+ vehicle by going off-roading?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 11:49 am
Watched an infomercial for Land Rover one night. Very funny stuff. "Are you living the Land Rover lifestyle?"
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 11:52 am
Too bad the ad probably doesn't show what that lifestyle really consists of: driving to WalMart, hauling the kids to soccer practice, schlepping the yellow lab to the dog run...
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 11:59 am
I have a Volvo sedan, which I assume is a particularly safe car. It is fast and has good acceleration, though I don't usually drive fast because I think it wastes gas. It's also very comfortable for four people & easy to drive, even in icy conditions.

We have an older SUV which is a great vehicle when we go camping or are pulling a boat trailer. It goes into four-wheel drive nearly every time it is driven and frequently is put into the low-gear mode where it can truly climb big rock piles or climb our long hilly unpaved driveway with a load. It has particularly horrible turning while it is in 4-wheel drive and probably bad gas mileage as well, but it isn't driven much and rarely goes very far. It spends the bulk of its time in a garage, which, as someone said, is the best way to not use much fuel.

I think that driving SUV's dangerously fast is the main reason they're rolling over. They're not built for comfort or speed or handling, they're built for carrying a lot of stuff, hauling a trailer and going off-road. They're definitely neither a commuter car nor a family car. It is too bad they're being marketed that way.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 12:02 pm
Quote:
schlepping the yellow lab to the dog run...

The fashionable dogs for the Land Rover folks these days are Weimaramers (on their way out) and Rhodesian ridgebacks (holding strong). Labs are just so... undistinguished. Better to have a $1500 dog who might maul your children.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 12:41 pm
Probably right, patiodog. I'm not too up-to-date on dog culture in the luxury SUV set. My bro's got a lab, but he drives a Plymouth Voyager. I like to tease him about that, because he drove one of the those before he was even married! A man who was into minivans, before minivans were uncool...
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2003 07:12 am
I think it's time that cars came complete with Road Rage Missles. So, the next time that asshole cuts you off and nearly makes you swerve off the road, you just hit a little red button and his car becomes nothing but flaming debris on the highway. Actually...no. I changed my mind. Only MY car should come with road rage missles. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

MichelleFoster

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2011 12:50 pm
@Phoenix32890,
I want everyone to know how SUVs have a high risk of fatal rollovers. My 17 year old son Jason was killed by a SUV rollover (Mitsubishi Montero, the worst rated by Consumer Reports) two years ago. He was an amazing talented young man who didn’t do drugs or alcohol and the accident involved neither. It was a sunny mid-day; he was driven by a 19 year old with a good driving record. She got distracted, turned the wheel suddenly to avoid hitting a guard rail, and the car rolled over several times, hitting the barrier 3 lanes over and killing Jason and his best friend Erin in the back seat.
Note: See articles such as http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/rollover
Please warn people about the dangers of SUVs.

Butrflynet

Reply Wed 26 Oct, 2011 01:00 pm
@MichelleFoster,
Sorry for the loss of your son. Welcome to A2K and good luck with your law suit against the auto manufacturer.

http://www.salemnews.com/local/x449328785/Parents-file-lawsuit-over-teens-death
0 Replies