SUV Rollover Deaths Hit High in US

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 08:15 am
Every day there seems to be more and more SUVs on the highway. They apparently are connected with more rollover deaths than other sorts of vehicles.

"And government figures show the rate of fatal rollovers for SUVs is almost three times that of cars."

What's the reason for the popularity of these vehicles? Do you own one? Why did you choose to buy an SUV? If you don't have one now, would you consider buying one? Why?

Quote:
Auto Deaths Hit 12-Year High in 2002
Thu Jul 17,12:00 AM ET
By John Crawley

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The number of people killed in sport utility rollover crashes rose 14 percent last year as total highway deaths hit a 12-year high at nearly 43,000, the U.S. government reported on Thursday.

The Transportation Department also reported that car crash injuries fell to an all-time low in 2002. Child and pedestrian deaths also went down as did fatalities involving large trucks.

But in 2002, SUV rollover fatalities jumped to more than 2,400 victims, an increase of 14 percent, the government said. Sixty-one percent of all SUV fatalities involved rollovers.

These grim statistics underscore the challenge facing regulators, who have redoubled efforts to reduce carnage on the nation's roads. Motorists traveled more than 2.8 trillion miles last year.

This summer, highway safety officials launched media and law enforcement initiatives to improve seat belt use and discourage drunk driving.

Alcohol-related fatalities remained unchanged at 41 percent of the total, or 17,419. And nearly 60 percent of the 42,815 people killed in auto crashes last year were not wearing seat belts.

The nation's top auto safety regulator, Jeffrey Runge, has launched a high-profile campaign to make popular sport utility vehicles safer.

For now, Runge is relying on an industry-government effort to reduce SUV rollover and other risks, but has not ruled out regulations to force changes.

There are 22 million SUVs on US roads, or about 10 percent of the total number of vehicles. And government figures show the rate of fatal rollovers for SUVs is almost three times that of cars.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 6,572 • Replies: 33
No top replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 08:28 am
I'm in the "other" category, because I drive a coupe. Guess I could have just checked off sedan, pretty much same thing.
For me, an SUV would be a total waste of money. I'm single, so I don't need the space. I'm comfortable driving my RWD car in the snow, so I don't "need" 4X4. I really enjoy DRIVING, and SUVs handle like s*#t. I'd rather be able to take an off-ramp in my car doing 60-70 than knowing I can hop curbs.
If...I had money to burn for a fleet of cars, I probably would have a nice "pimp" SUV...but for my everyday car mine fits me perfectly.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 08:32 am
Same here. I would consider one if I had a need, but a pickup seems more likely. I do like front wheel drive for snow though.
0 Replies

lab rat

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 09:28 am
My wife and I both drive cars that get 30+ mpg. I saw a brand new Saturn VUE (SUV) that claimed 17 mpg highway--that's when it was new. With mileage like that, even if I wanted an SUV, I couldn't afford to drive one.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 09:41 am
Honda Civic, kid. Utilitarian all the way. Can't even stand the color, but what's it matter? Seats for without unreasonable discomfort, the mileage is great, should run forever if properly maintained, parts are cheap.

If you ever do see me in any kind of SUV, you can be damn sure it's going to be shaped like a box, dented, and muddy. Otherwise I don't see the point.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 10:32 am
Honda Civic? You need to put one of those coffee can exhausts on, with some neon racing stickers. I believe between the two, HP is increased by about 200.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 10:35 am
And an aluminum rear-wing spoiler the size of a large dog. Gotta get that downforce over those rear tires -- really helps the drive wheels up front grab the road.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 11:04 am
Don't you ever want to say to one of those people driving cars like that "hey stupid. Do you realize how RETARDED your car looks? Just wondering."
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 11:07 am
i replaced my '89 honda civic hatch, finally, with another honda civic hatch. it's a sensible car.

i've been working in industries related to cars and trucks for too long to make any choice but a sensible choice. i read the safety stuff all day. i want to be in a car that can get out of the way should an suv decide to roll over. even in the '89, i could still accelerate my way out of all kinds of cr@p. now, i am ZOOMIN'.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 11:10 am
I've been seeing a lot of tricked out Celicas lately, and I laugh out loud every time. Hey, when Star Wars came out, I wanted a Millennium Falcon. But, then, I was three. It's like a bunch of 19 year old guys say The Fast and the Furious and said, "I want one of those!"

Still, though, I'm definitely thinking about making up a nickname for myself and having it decaled on the car. Way cool.
0 Replies

SkisOnFire

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 11:36 am
My 24-foot RV gets 8 MPG.

I can see above all the puny SUVs on the road, and you know what? Everybody stays out of my way. No chance for accidents to occur because everyone suddenly decides to drive safely and sanely when confronted by a wooly mammoth! Funny what happens when drivers treat each other with respect, and don't cultivate fantasies about their vehicle.

How can I be so callous and wasteful as to drive an 8 mpg vehicle? By only driving it 20 minutes a day while most of my coworkers average *90 minutes* a day, churning their fossil-based lifestyles. How big do you want our freeways to be? Is the pavement really where you want to spend your life?

On especially hectic days I don't have time to drive at all. How many gallons does it take to go zero miles?

Reducing distance is far more effective than reducing vehicle size.

(PS -- I was thinking of getting mag wheels, twin turbo and racing stripes, but who wants to race against an RV? No matter what the outcome, they would be the embarassed one ... hah!)
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 12:53 pm
Ill race you in my RV. O'course, Im livin in it right at the moment so can we just talk trash an diss each other till September when I can come out there an beat your ass in 15 mile donut run.

Rules are
1 Rv can , and must be fully loaded with food and beverage. No street mods allowed.

2 In the 15 mile run, each driver must have prepared and eat a full meal of chili or spaghetti and mb's .

3 No crockery or nick nacks can be spilled or broken

4 Awnings must be up.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 12:57 pm
Can I ride in cabover bed, or whatever you call that thing? That was my favorite place when I was a kid.
0 Replies

SkisOnFire

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 01:25 pm
Farmerman, is a nitrous kit considered a street mod? They're only a few hundred bucks...

Even if I put a microwave on the passenger seat and use cruise control, the 15 miles would be up before the chili starts to boil.
(Hmm, I may have to upgrade to a competition microwave or use an acetylene "cooker", but you're on!)

Patiodog, if you can install a six-point harness in the cabover, you're welcome to experience the full acceleration of a wooly mammoth. Just watch it on the turns...
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 01:29 pm
Quote:
Farmerman, is a nitrous kit considered a street mod?

Attached to your engine or to your sinus?
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2003 06:26 pm
suv's, rollovers, safety etc. etc... i believe there also was an earlier thread on this subject. of course everyone wants to be KING OF THE ROAD - bigger or faster, being able to tower over other drivers.... the argument is often "i want my wife, children (myself?) to be in a car that is safe"; but how is this supposed safety to be achieved? might it be achieved at the expense of others on the road? ...... i've been wondering if it would be ok for me to perhaps see if i could aquire a slightly used half-track or better still one of the latest us army tanks i saw on a tv news show recently. i believe it does 60 miles per hour easily; the driver said that it steers easily and that it overcomes any obstacle - so why bother with a hummer or the latest mercedes-suv - this tank sure has beat them all. i think i would be the SAFEST driver on the road because every other driver would conveniently get out of the way.... or else...! (i hope i am just kidding. claiming that driving a suv or other monster vehicle is a matter of SAFETY strikes me as somewhat odd, unless we are not concerned about other drivers that we should be sharing the road with.) this subject has been bugging me for some time; i thought i would just ignore it, but i'm glad i put my 2 cents(CANADIAN) worth in. hbg
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2003 06:34 pm
hamburger's older brother always said a tank was the only way to go. looks like the world is coming around to his way of thinking, with all these bigger, heavier, taller vehicles. one of the things i think of is the additional need there will be for toll roads to cover all the damages these heavier vehicles will cause. trucks already pay a premium for the damage they cause on the highways. time to add suv's, rv's etc to that list of vehicles to be invoiced for damages to the roads.

edited to add a missing link word
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2003 06:36 pm
I've had a toyota, a ford festiva (shuddup!), another toyota and now my honda civic. I like a car that I can drive 2 weeks on a tank of gas.

I hate SUVs. Everyone knows that by now, right?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2003 08:05 pm
skis- did I mention a Le Mans start?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2003 09:29 pm
A Jeep Cherokee flipped over in Atlanta today. I drive a Jeep Cherokee and love it.
0 Replies