How do I write a letter for my niece.....

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 11:01 am
....to request part time work from her current full time job? Her back has been hurting her for quite some time and she can only work two days a week (preferrably Tuesdays and Thursdays).

She works as a waitress at Denny's.

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,381 • Replies: 8
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 11:04 am
First, will you be writing it or will she?

Second, if it's because her back is hurting, it would strengthen her case a lot if she had some sort of documentation from her doctor. Something that says that it's a legitmate issue and she's not just slacking off.
0 Replies

Jeremiah

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 11:07 am
She'll be writing it. You have some samples?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 11:13 am
Sample? No. I could make one up I guess.

Dear [HR person or whomever is appropriate],

I have been really enjoying working here, the team is great and I appreciate the flexibility. [Or whatever. Say something positive about the job to start out.] Unfortunately, my back has been giving me problems lately. My doctor says [insert medical language + explanation here, but brief].

Therfore, I would like to know whether it would be possible for me to work part-time rather than full-time. [A few more details about which specific days.]

Thank you so much,
[signature]

This would probably go in the doctor section, but if not, have something brief about WHY her back is hurting to make it clear that she's not accusing Denny's of anything.
0 Replies

Jeremiah

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 11:42 am
How's this? Please make any corrections if possible:

Dear so-and-so

I have been really enjoying working here, the team is great and I appreciate the flexibility that this job offers. Unfortunately, my back has been giving me problems lately. I'm having a hard time working four days a week because of this ailing condition.

Therefore, I would like to know whether it would be possible for me to work part-time rather than full-time. Please accept my request of working 2 days a week, preferably on Tuesdays and Thursdays if possible.

Thank you so much,

Moana
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 11:47 am
I think it would be really strengthened with something from her doctor, if only "my doctor says..." and then providing further info on request.

Also, is 2 days a week really "part-time"?

I dunno, I'd need to know more about how things work there. Maybe they can just put in a request to work part-time and the "back hurting" stuff is unimportant.

It seems to me like she should either leave that out entirely or else have something more official about why it's hurting. Not just say "it's hurting," that probably won't impress anyone.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 12:46 pm
I doubt an explaination or a letter is really necessary.

She should tell her manager that she needs to cut down to two days a week, and that she prefers it be Tuesday and Thursday but she's willing to be flexible on that. She should offer to work her current schedule for two weeks or until a replacement has been found, whichever comes first.

If she's been a good employee they will try to accomodate her request.

Chances are they have employees looking for extra hours or that they have applicants who want part time work.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 12:50 pm
sozobe wrote:
I think it would be really strengthened with something from her doctor, if only "my doctor says..." and then providing further info on request.

Also, is 2 days a week really "part-time"?

I dunno, I'd need to know more about how things work there. Maybe they can just put in a request to work part-time and the "back hurting" stuff is unimportant.

It seems to me like she should either leave that out entirely or else have something more official about why it's hurting. Not just say "it's hurting," that probably won't impress anyone.

I would attach a letter from the doctor - not sure the situation at Denny's but most places have something in place for just this sort of situation to protect the employees. If the Denny's is privately owned (ie. franchise rather than corporate restaurant), then there may be too few employees to fall into some sort of disability protection. However, if this Denny's is owned by the corporation she may have some sort of protection any how and they may be obligated to cut the hours.
0 Replies

Jeremiah

Reply Tue 1 May, 2007 09:01 pm
Thanks a lot folks. Smile
0 Replies