Body Modification

Robwill

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 12:20 am
Why does it matter?
What can we learn with such a topic?

Body modification or physical disfiguration has been a part of society since the beginning of man. There is nothing new or shocking happening now, as compared to the skull reshaping of pre-Colombians.

Body is part of self and self only has one jurisdiction. What "one" chooses to do with their "self" is no ones buisness but their own.

It is a sad statement on government that they feel a need to involve themselves in such matters.

I can only say, if it seems right, it must be, because only "you" would know. Where do we draw the line on what we allow others to decide? If it isn't what we can do to our own being, then I don't know where it is.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 10:11 am
Robwill - i don't think anyone suggested that the government should become involved did they?

Of course it is a personal choice - do we have to 'learn' from the discussion? - it is simply interesting, the choices people make and the things they consider attractive.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 10:47 am
Well, I would not change appearance (I do not look like a male model, but I have accustomed to it), but if I was able to change my chronically problematic liver for the new one, I would not hesitate.
0 Replies

Robwill

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 10:02 pm
"i don't think anyone suggested that the government should become involved did they? "

Did I? I just stated I think they shouldn't, which they do, as was stated in the first post, by outlawing certain types of, let's call it, "re-shaping".

Ahh, the things people consider attractive, well, there is a topic to learn from, or possibly just discover, as learning implies someone being right in the first place.

It isn't really about what you would change, but what you consider attractive; as one relies on the other. In that respect, I guess I would want more intellect in order to properly understand this board. I seem to find that an attractive aspect of others.

Physical appearance is so highly overated in this world as it is, it almost seems a dangerous topic if not an irrelevant one.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 10:42 pm
It might not be my personal thing, but actually, body modification has always been fascinating to me, especially when rooted in long-standing cultural tradition. No discussion of this subject would be complete without mentioning Fakir Musafar, father of the 'Modern Primitive' movement. Some of the pics may be disturbing to the sensitive, but they are artful at the same time. Be forewarned.

http://www.bodyplay.com/
0 Replies

Twilight

Reply Fri 19 Sep, 2003 01:05 am
Twisted Evil i'd want to be able to shock things like an electric eel.... i've always wanted to do that since i was a little kid. building up static charge just ain't enough you know....
0 Replies

harmonic

Reply Sat 20 Sep, 2003 10:26 pm
I was into body mods back in the day... I cut stripes into my arms sometime in 1994, was 21 years old. I did good work too. Big work too- more than 400 lines from my wrists up and over my shoulders. What a trip its been... The act of cutting was halfway religious at the time. The reaction in the past 9 years has been... strong. A few times i've brushed with the law, the scars have gotten me labled as suicidal - which means NAKED in jail. No ****. Makes me laugh at poeple who think they're badass.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2003 09:33 am
Polarity:
a touch of the 'demonic' within 'harmonic'! Laughing
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2003 10:01 am
Robwill wrote:

Physical appearance is so highly overated in this world as it is, it almost seems a dangerous topic if not an irrelevant one.

Actually, physical appearance and percieved attractiveness are linked to genetic health. There is a reason people want to have sex with those that look good - they probably have healty genes.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Sun 21 Sep, 2003 10:21 am
Portal; if you wish to see undesirable mating stock, visit a MacDonalds!
0 Replies

deniZen

Reply Mon 22 Sep, 2003 04:03 am
Only if I had disposable cash. And if it was relatively pain-free. I'm a coward when it comes to pain. I'd go for the whole works.

That, and a pair of wings.
0 Replies

USAFHokie

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 06:24 pm
Ceili wrote:
Check out this fella, he took 'modification' to an all time extreme.

http://bmeworld.com/amago/Resources/mods/DSC_0011.JPG
http://bmeworld.com/amago/Resources/mods/DSC_0017.jpg

The Lizard Man - http://bmeworld.com/amago/

OK... you would this with all this "modification" he could have fixed the bottom teeth... they're all crooked!
0 Replies

USAFHokie

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 06:31 pm
I want to be taller.... about 3 inches... i know you can have you legs lengthened... BUT... i want a longer torso... i don't think you can do that. :-\
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 06:47 pm
BoGoWo, do you remember a sci-fi book from years ago (I think I read it in high school) about plug-ins? I think it was Nova, by (samuel delaney? delazny? somebody help)... Spaceships could only be flown by altered pilots with sockets in the back of their necks and their wrists. They sat down at the con, plugged their heads and wrists into the starship, and became one with it for the duration of the trip...

Off-ship, the altered pilots were second-class citizens. Because of the time required to get back and forth, they never had permanent homes, became the new gypsies (complete with shady reputation), and were the bards and musicians of the spaceports...

First cyberpunk? I'm talking 1965 here...
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 06:48 pm
I would put a faucet, a decorative one of course into my sinus cavities above the eyebrows and when I was stopped up just bend over the sink and drain away.

Would make the faucets look industrial and cool and maybe put some sort of tattoo around them that looked really gothic.......
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 23 Sep, 2003 06:58 pm
Without searchin', Wy, I think that might have been Roger Zelazny, but I'm not too sure. He wrote Damnation Alley, and was probably best known for his Amber series.
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 04:16 pm
OK, I looked it up. Samuel Delaney, Nova, published 1968. The actual plot revoves around retrieving a supply of energy from an exploding star...

According to the site I found, Zelazny didn't publish until later. He's good too -- I'm just awful with titles/authors...
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Wed 24 Sep, 2003 10:38 pm
definitly sounds familiar, but i don't think i read that specific novel; maybe, what do i know/remember?

if you haven't read the William Gibson novels: Neuromancer, Count Zero, Burning Chrome, Mona Lisa Overdrive, Virtual Light, Idoru; you should!

Full of cyberStuff!
0 Replies

Wy

Reply Thu 25 Sep, 2003 05:34 pm
Thanks for the suggestions! Neuromancer sounds familiar but who knows??? Like I say, I remember the STORIES... I will for sure check them out!

I'm adrift in Neal Stephenson right now -- finished Cryptonomicon and Snow Crash, gonna go get Quicksilver (new out this week)... I read 'em from the library but those are the next books I'm buying -- can't wait to read Cryptonomicon again!
0 Replies

wickedgame89

Reply Wed 10 Jan, 2007 12:19 pm
I find it fasinating
I myself talk to Lizardman, have seen him on numerous TV shows, documentaries, concerts,etc. He is a great man with wonderful modifications. :]
0 Replies