Source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 587 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Tico

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 07:02 am
Thanks, Walter. I recently did a presentation that touched on Monet's work, and that re-awakened an appreciation for it. Often, a famous artist's work is repeated, reproduced, put on playing cards, coasters, and umbrellas, until it becomes hackneyed. And then something like this comes along to remind us of their genius again.

Having my morning coffee while looking at this unknown work was very nice. (Wish I was in New York.)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 27 Apr, 2007 12:30 pm
Me too. I've been reappreciating Monet myself lately.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 29 Jun, 2007 04:09 pm
earlier this year I went to an exhibition of Renoirs landscapes and they showed a painting of La Grenouillere by Monet and R side by side - Monet's was so much better, dazzling light, contre jour, drama, movement and contrasts. I really like Monet but they are so much better in real life - frequently seeing reproductions and as has been said - on biscuit tins and playing cards! doesn't do justice to his work.
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Sat 30 Jun, 2007 06:10 pm
Vivien wrote:
... they are so much better in real life - frequently seeing reproductions and as has been said - on biscuit tins and playing cards! doesn't do justice to his work.

I had that experience last year at the Art Institute in Chicago. I was wandering through, and came to a Botticelli 'Madonna with Child'. I was mesmerized -- must have stood there for half an hour, until my friends came back to get me. Such an overworked theme, such a commercialized image. But the real painting left me in awe.
0 Replies