Rootinest, Tootinest, Gol-Durn Spy Service You Ever ...

cobalt

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 02:36 pm
...Did Lay Eyes On

See The Monster Limo Weblog for a funny, but oh-soooooooooo-true succinct post about the State of the Union snafu President Bush is making news with...
This post title is a quote from the author there:

http://blogs.salon.com/0001956/
The Monster Limo Weblog

A "cowboy" White House - shame to Texans and cowboys everywhere!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,537 • Replies: 17
No top replies

cobalt

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 02:44 pm
One really doesn't have to try toooooo hard to see that our US administration staff is making HULK-size errors of judgement when you merely ponder the direct quotes. See the Meet the Press transcript for Donald Rumsfeld this last Sunday:

http://www.msnbc.com/news/938330.asp

Transcript July 13 Meet the Press, with Donald Rumsfeld

[Again, from The Monster Limo Weblog

(I'd love to quote the opening line of this post about the Rumsfeld interview, but you will have to go to the weblog post to read it - so I don't get in trouble, lol!)http://blogs.salon.com/0001956/

It starts "Am I Completely Full of..."
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 03:01 pm
Glad to see responses to the poll! Has anyone had time yet to check out the sources I quoted?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 05:31 pm
No, but that 'short memory' scenario seems to work on the American people. This administration can change the justification for this war ten times, and the people think it's the original. Can't do anything with a stupid citizenry. c.i.
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 11:10 pm
A good friend of mine read a poem aloud to me tonight that he found in a recent issue of The Nation. I tried to find it online for you all, but it was not made available in the magazine online features. The poem is by Calvin Trillin, called "The Legend of Private Lynch". I can assure you that it is worth going to the local library to find the last issue of this magazine to read the poem.
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2003 01:32 pm
cicerone imposter wrote:
No, but that 'short memory' scenario seems to work on the American people. This administration can change the justification for this war ten times, and the people think it's the original. Can't do anything with a stupid citizenry. c.i.

I used to want to give people more credit, but the older I get I realize that your statement is right. I'm amazed by the nationalism that erupts in times like this -- and while I can see that patriotism and support of our country can be healthy in some situations, I think that it's too stereotyped in times like we're in right now to be healthy at all. In fact, the current popular definition of "patriotism" (support your president no matter what he says or does, all in the name of our troops overseas and apple pie and baseball and mama) has become a parasite to our liberties, intelligence, democratic philosophies, our troops overseas, apple pie, baseball, and mama.

It's a disgrace, but the one thing that I will keep optomistic about is my hope that more information on this travesty will be reported and analyzed by the mainstream media and that people will come around to see the truth, as a result.
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2003 08:30 pm
LibertyD - I just hate it when so much comes to light and really is receiving a great deal of publicity, and then you hear comments like "well, what can you do, it's all BS anyway" and then the whole shebang drops deader than a door nail. End of discussion. sigh....
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2003 11:08 pm
cobalt<

Long-time readers of A2k may remember that I have always thought Dubya was hell-bent and determined to make war with Iraq for his own reasons, rather than any valid "proof" that Iraq was a worldwide villain.

Thus, I am not surprised that Dubya is trying to blame the CIA director for the "16 words" snafu from his State of the Union message.

Meanwhile, we are still engaged in what Army brass call "an official guerilla war" in Iraq. According to tonight's MSNBC news broadcast, more of our soldiers have been killed in this war than in Daddy's Persian Gulf War I.

That fact, I believe, will cause some serious thinking about whether or not Dubya deserves a second term. The White House definitely will be in a defensive mode for the rest of Dubya's term.

I think dead bodies will remind Americans that they did not elect Dubya. They will be reminded that he was "appointed" president by the U.S. Supreme Court. If nothing else, Dubya's war may cause the American people in 2004 to demand that their voting rights are returned to them.

Dubya has met the enemy, and it is him[/b].
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 06:23 am
Williamhenry: thanks for your post. Re: dead bodies

Methinks that the dead bodies would have to be right here in the US before people will start counting this as "real". With the WTC disaster, that was real. The pretext used for starting this current war was the WTC for the bodies were everywhere and hit everyone. Unfortunately, dead bodies in a "foreign land" are part of the current Crusades! The Christian Right would have us believe that the deaths were all martyrs in the Greater Cause.
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 12:56 pm
cobalt wrote:
LibertyD - I just hate it when so much comes to light and really is receiving a great deal of publicity, and then you hear comments like "well, what can you do, it's all BS anyway" and then the whole shebang drops deader than a door nail. End of discussion. sigh....

Yeah, and unfortunately that happens all too often. I guess the only thing that *we* can do is keep our loud mouths going and hope that by not shutting up about this mess, apathy will stay under the covers.
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 04:32 pm
One teensy thing that I do is try to make sure there is a sig line in all my forum memberships that expresses my political concerns. Just one more tiny billboard here and there is at least something I feel I can do!

Blair and Bush just finished the press conference today - and I felt compelled to listen, although they make my skin crawl when I hear them speak. To me it is looking like they gave that big press thing due to mounting criticism from each country's citizens to justify the Irag war and the looney justifications given by each of them. How many times did Bush praise Blair, for heaven's sake. Gaaaaaaaaah....
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 06:37 pm
Bush wouldn't be caught dead in a ten gallon hat. He only wears a tin gallon hat.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2003 06:38 pm
Excerpt from the new National Anthem:

...the rockets red Blair...
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2003 07:49 pm
GW, I responded earlier to your posts and want you to know that I got quite a chuckle out of your responses!
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2003 09:55 pm
Lightwizard<

With all his recent smoke and mirrors, I just knew Dubya had to be from the land of Oz. His "tin hat" lends further validation to my suspicions!
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2003 12:04 am
wh3: we'd best be careful of drawing the wrath of "the bunny" here! Not only is Kansas the Land of OZ... !
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Sat 19 Jul, 2003 11:11 pm
Well, cobalt, the only other Oz I know about is the acclaimed HBO
series of character studies inside the walls of a prison. It was an interesting show from several seasons back. I can imagine "the bunny" as a prisoner. Yes, indeed Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

cobalt

Reply Sun 20 Jul, 2003 07:31 am
Oh, that's right! I liked the Oz series on HBO! BUt then again, my life in prison gave me a unique perspective, heh heh Very Happy
0 Replies