Claudio Bravo

Portal Star

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 11:02 am
Re: art
JLNobody wrote:
Portal Star. Good points, and don't leave me out when you have the bonfire/kegger. But I still feel that, while reading about art and artists helps to appreciate them, a work of art should NOT depend for its appreciation on the ideas behind them. That's why I've never appreciated (virtually all) conceptual art. Once you've gotten the idea (as Lightwizard once put it, if I recall correctly), that's all there is to it. You are not likely to want to return to it over and over again, as you would a Matisse painting or a Beethoven quartet. I don't know why they don't just write essays. Ah, I do know. Because they would look so lame. The ideas presented in visual conceptual art are usually so insignificant, often little more than attempts to denigrate previous works.

I agree with both of you. Visual should be an important part of a *visual art.* I think they don't just write essays because paintings sell for a lot more.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 11:10 am
art
Now why didn't I see that? $$$$$$$$$$
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 11:11 am
Very Happy
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 11:12 am
.... Portal - aren't you forced to write about your work as part of your degree course?
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 12:25 am
Not exactly. I'm forced to critique other people's work (weekly) , and do essays in art history. Also, other people critique my work, which can be frustrating, helpful, and sometimes revealing. All this thinking about artwork keeps me thinking about my own, and what I would say if someone asked me. But there is no formality about it (thank goodness, that would be boring and I'd have to bs when I didn't know what I was doing...).
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 01:40 am
I like more things over time by reading critiques, essays, etc., but over time may be a long time, years later, or at least weeks. Once in a while a comment will sway me right away.

Soz, you were right, I was speaking apparently unintelligibly to the effect that people are welcome to just talk here and not defend their points of view academically. None of us here are interested in testing the Terms of Service, we are too interested in communicating! I am also glad to hear strong pros and cons - I just want to make it clear that less well developed comments are welcome here too.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 07:31 am
Portal Star quoted my admonition then wrote:

timberlandko: are you the moderator? I was not referring to the guidelines of posting, but to the guidelines of an art critique/ academic discussion. These don't involve name calling or throwing sticks either and should go along with the forum guidelines. I was not referring to anyone specific, but saying that everyone has the right to showcase their stupidity. That was the universal "you" sorry, if it was felt it was directed at anyone. If I come across a good link, I'll post some guidelines of academic art debate.
Oh, cool. Sorry if I gave you cause for concern ... yup, as Sozobe said, I'm one of several moderators. First, let me hasten to say my earlier remark was itself "General", directed to no one in particular, and not meant to be accusatory. Another member, apparently misunderstanding the flow and context of the preceding conversation sent an "Uh-oh" PM requesting I "Take a look at" that area of this thread. While rarely the case in an Arts discussion, once in a while, some threads DO get a little "Testy", and such reminders as I dropped in there are fairly common practice in those instances, generally serving the desired purpose. As I'm far more accustomed to keggers and brawls than with teas and amicable chats, I prolly over reacted. I apologize for having gathered, and offered, the wrong impression. Please understand my chief intent there was to let folks know that they need not suffer the slings and arrows of disruptors, malcontents, and other mean-spirited mischief makers ... anytime anyone wants to "Call for a cop", we're here for you.

Again ... sorry if I was ham-handed there. Just ask Osso ... she knows that underneath this gruff exterior, I'm really a fairly nice, well-intentioned, if somewhat socially clumsy and rough-around-the-edges, sort of fella. :wink:

Oh, yeah, and no need to be formal; folks around here mostly just call me "timber".
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 10:04 am
art
As in (the logger's) T-I-M-B-E-R!!!!! ? :wink:
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 12:41 pm
Portal, my degree was modular and so at the end of each module we had to write about the work, this was put up with the work for assessment.

It was a pain - but i have to admit the regular practice makes writing the piece for galleries easy now!

Timber it is nice that you are there to cut in if things do get nasty
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 12:55 pm
art
I agree, Vivien. It's nice to know that some of us--like Timber--have taken on the responsibiity of keeping things civil.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 02:23 pm
Agreed. Moderators are cool.
Vivien- out of curiosity, where did you go to school? That sounds a bit like the art institute in California. You're right, that was probably great practice! I wonder, if I become a teacher, will I make my students do that? Hmmm.... Cool
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Wed 23 Jul, 2003 02:31 pm
De Montfort University in Leicester. It was a good experience with some really good tutors ( I managed to avoid working with the few not so good ones! i could always be 'working' on their days! and select the good ones!)

My friends are trying to persuade me to go for my Masters postgrad degree but I don't intend to. Now i want to paint and have my own agenda, show in galleries, develop in my own way ....

Where are you studying?
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2003 10:23 am
The University of Texas ata Austin. I looked at a bunch of other schools, Art institute of Chicago, san Fransisco, Moore, Kansas city art institute. Chicago, Fransisco, and Moore were out b/c they were soooo expensive and out of state. It was tied between Kansas city and UT b/c I got a scholarship to KC making them the same price. Then I checked out KC, and they have a very good printmaking and textiles department, but their painting department is one crowded stuffy little room with no windows, clearly not their specialty. So I went to UT. I really like it there, although the art school could use a little more funding, and they need a better graphic design program. But all in all, I'm really happy I went there. They have some good teachers, and really good academics.

I plan on getting my masters, but I haven't decided where I want to go yet, it will depend on the price and amount of scholarships I get. I'm getting my masters b/c I want to teach college.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2003 10:31 am
Yes you'll need you MA to teach at college. I really don't want to do that - it takes away too much from your own creative time. Friends who are uni tutors get very hassled and frazzled too! Sad

Good luck anyway!

oh by the way I tried to look at your website and couldn't make it work - can you put it in as a link?
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2003 10:59 am
art
PortalStar, have you considered for your MFA the art school at Arizona State University? All I can say of it is that it's well funded. It has its own georgeous building, replete with gallery, lots of labs and a large faculty. Not much to go on, I know. But it might be worth looking at.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2003 11:32 am
timberlandko wrote:
Just ask Osso ... she knows that underneath this gruff exterior, I'm really a fairly nice, well-intentioned, if somewhat socially clumsy and rough-around-the-edges, sort of fella. :wink:

Oh, yes, Timber has been completely thoughtful as a moderator, and besides all that, is a really good person...and so is everybody else on the art threads!
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Thu 24 Jul, 2003 12:40 pm
JLnobody: I'll be sure to check it out.

About my website: I bought my domain name [marikofrost.com], and was supposed to get the site up, but stuff keeps happening.
A. my computer broke
B. problems with the webspace people (and my credit card)
C. dependency.

A. is fixed, B. I'm working on, then starts C. Which is me waiting for my friend Cecil to make the website for me.
I'll let ya'll know when it comes together.
0 Replies

phantomX

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 06:55 pm
claudio bravo
Shocked Shocked Shocked wow, a posting on claudio bravo - first id like to say that this forum on bravo has been very good and i enjoyed reading almost all of the comments. the only reason i am posting a comment is that i have been a very big fan of bravos work. I agree with the comment made regarding redon surfaces being more interesting and there is a lack of mystery involved in claudios work. however, the selfless approach of superrealism is just as emotional as the touch of redons hand. presently im sick of photo realism cause ive done it too much and i've looked at bravos work way too many Xs. however, bravo should be regard as cutting edge for continuing an enduring tradition of hyper realism. his compositions from the 70s are cool because they offer a reductive quality- and i feel that the package series are genuine genius. claudio bravo is an interesting figure to me because hes often looked over by the major art history publications since his style is old fashioned however, people like us keep talking about him because hes found a way to keep those old cheap tricks vital to new generations of painters and critics. lol, i think its funny how morandi always sneaks his way into a about photo realism- in conclusion, i feel that bravo is a very seductive painter and i enjoy his work greatly - its strange that many of the newyork painters are also super slick just not crafted in a realistic manner- i think that bravo is ultimately a purest- just being himself- and couldnt paint like morandi if he tried- and im glad he hasnt...goodpainter
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 07:17 pm
Hi phantomX, and welcome! Thanks for your comments.

Was the painting of the hotel worker next to the sponges part of the package series? If not, could you provide any links?

Thanks!
0 Replies

phantomX

Reply Sun 31 Aug, 2003 09:18 pm
claudio bravo
i wish i had a good link to the packages, unfortunately the package series seems to be the least represented on the net. there are a few very fine books devoted to bravo and thats how i first discovered the series- i think that two of the three publications on bravo have extensive coverage on the series- the link: www.shareholder.com/bid/news/2002102192878.cfm will get you a flick of a white package - however its a bit stale compared to some of the others in the series Rolling Eyes
0 Replies