Claudio Bravo

sozobe

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2003 04:26 pm
I know, THEY do it, and from the looks of it you do, too (and inherited a dandy light-recording gene from ol' Turner), but I made myself insane thinking this stuff. Painting in the orange light of dusk, especially -- ooh, that's a great, rich red. But wait, is it only that rich because I'm LOOKING at it in this orange light?? Etc.

At one point I rigged up an itty bitty book light to my sketch pad so I could get white light on the page. It was a nice idea, but I'm not sure it made much of a difference. I'm a wimp when it comes to plein air.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2003 04:41 pm
what medium do you use? i sometimes use watercolour plein air but oil is much easier as you can whoosh a light colour over a dark and scratch through and stuff to get exactly what you want.

I often work on paper in sketchbooks in oil. It may not be archivally good in the very long term - but Degas did it and so did Picasso and theirs still survive! As long as you don't work too impasto it isn't harmed at all by shutting the book.

And thanks for thinking I inherited a gene from my ?ancestor! I wish!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2003 04:44 pm
Watercolor, usually. I haven't done it seriously in a long time, though. (Erstwhile art major, switched to English.)
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2003 04:49 pm
I think that is more of a challenge if you are 'going for' the light - you need to keep it clean and fresh and so can't push/pull as much.

i actually find it easier to do watercolours from my oils - not the way round that people tend to think about working!

Do you ever use oils? cos if so it might be worth experimenting taking them out.

I know Portal doesn't like oil for cleaning (but i do!) so i just take a bottle of baby oil and rags for cleaning up when i paint outside. I just use turps for thinning paint to paint with.

A bit more difficult for you with the Sozlet in tow! oil paint covered daughter???! Shocked
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2003 04:55 pm
I'd LOVE to do oils, but yeah, not gonna happen when the sozlet's around all day. (I did oils briefly a few times, liked 'em, but watercolor's my thing. This is partly because of the guy I mentioned earlier, though -- oils were HIS thing, and I wanted to differentiate.) Trying to do anything artistic around the kiddo is... difficult. She likes to "help." She would not only get herself covered with paint, but would then proceed to fingerpaint on my canvas. Shocked

Here's one of my watercolors, if you haven't seen it (from long ago -- I was 18, I think.)

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2660&highlight=monsoon#2660
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2003 05:02 pm
that is very good - you really should keep painting. How about painting the sozlet?
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2003 05:06 pm
[hysterical laughter]

You mean... asking her to stay still for more than 30 seconds?

[wipes tears of mirth]

Razz

When I have time to do any kind of art, and/ or when she's old enough to sit and stay for a bit, I would definitely love to do that. Am currently excercising creative muscles by taking a bajillion pictures of her. Light, composition, etc. Have taken some that I'm really happy with.

THANKS for the compliment. Means a lot coming from a Real Artist. Smile
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2003 05:09 pm
mmmm I know! I remember it well - my youngest I'll swear verged on hyperactive!

Catch her asleep - and do lightning unfinished sketches as she plays? if you can manage it without mini editorial interference and help!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2003 05:10 pm
Asleep is an idea, for sure. Hmmm. You got me thinking, now...

I have always liked Mary Cassatt.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Fri 18 Jul, 2003 05:14 pm
Yes I like Mary Cassat. Gwen John too.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 10:35 am
Baby/mineral oil for cleaning is better than vegetable oil, I had a teacher who used baby oil, and another who used murphy orange oil. If you want your oil painted sketchbook pages to last and not yellow, coat the pages with some gesso (& let it dry) before you paint on them.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 11:01 am
timberlandko wrote:
Hypothecating, an apparently dismayed Osso wrote:
... all ok.
to which
in reply Portal Star wrote:
... a person should have every right to showcase their stupidity.

Just an observation here ... "Its "All OK" to "Showcase Stupidity" only insofar as that showcasing is done within the parameters of The TOS, and it is preferable that all interaction conforms to The Guidelines for Debate[/i]. Even in the Chat Room, decorum and propriety should be observed (and in PMs, as well). If an issue arises causing you discomfort or unease in regard to the manner of interaction by any member, bring that issue, as succinctly and with as much pertinent detail as may be practical (Thread titles, URL's, cut-and-pastes, etc, as appropriate), to the attention of any of the MODERATORS, who DO "Have Guns".

timberlandko: are you the moderator? I was not referring to the guidelines of posting, but to the guidelines of an art critique/ academic discussion. These don't involve name calling or throwing sticks either and should go along with the forum guidelines. I was not referring to anyone specific, but saying that everyone has the right to showcase their stupidity. That was the universal "you" sorry, if it was felt it was directed at anyone. If I come across a good link, I'll post some guidelines of academic art debate.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 11:19 am
Portal Star, timber's one of several moderators here, yeah.

Guidelines of academic art debate could be cool! I think Osso was saying (and she can correct me if not) that it's totally OK to discuss at a less erudite level -- "I liked it" or "I didn't like it" without going into the reasoning too much. Just as it is also OK to go into it as academically as you want, as long as it's within the TOS (i.e. not insulting other members while you're at it.)

btw, thanks again for starting this discussion! It's been interesting.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 12:42 pm
art
Reading back over this thread, I was struck, Vivien, by the precision and accuracy of your review of Morandi: you said that it has "a mood, an extra quality [as compared to the empty fidelity of Bravo's vases, I assume] and a quiet passion about the subjects and the paint itself." Very Happy
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 02:51 pm
Portal Star wrote:
Baby/mineral oil for cleaning is better than vegetable oil, I had a teacher who used baby oil, and another who used murphy orange oil. If you want your oil painted sketchbook pages to last and not yellow, coat the pages with some gesso (& let it dry) before you paint on them.

no I deliberately don't do that because i like the absorbency when sketching outdoors - it has a quality of its own that is rather interesting to work with.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 02:55 pm
Re: art
JLNobody wrote:
Reading back over this thread, I was struck, Vivien, by the precision and accuracy of your review of Morandi: you said that it has "a mood, an extra quality [as compared to the empty fidelity of Bravo's vases, I assume] and a quiet passion about the subjects and the paint itself." Very Happy

yes that's what I meant - I'm enjoying these threads - people are coming up with interesting ideas and arguements.

Because photo realist work doesn't appeal to me personally, i am inclined to walk by it quite quickly without looking and really considering it and this link has made me think about it and consider WHY I don't relate to it.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 04:09 pm
art
Vivien, I too walk past the photorealists because to me they are like magicians, illusionists whose only contribution is technical facility. Now I must admit, at least in principle, that I may be missing something more valuable in their work. But to understand what it is I would probably have to read about it (I've not done so yet because of the lack of interest in their work--the basis of my rejection of PRism). But if I have to READ something about an art work or genre then my disinterest is fortified. Art is a VISUAL phenomenon whose value must be seen in its appearances, not ideas behind them. IMHO.
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 04:47 pm
hmm. I agree. I hate those little essays that come with the art in some museums, telling you about what you're supposed to get out of the art. A lot of conceptual art requires essay explaination. However, when someone does somthing new people generally don't understand it, and reading can help you understand. I believe I remember you saying you liked abstraction, and I'm sure you would encourage someone to read a bit about abstraction/look harder if they didn't like it. I naturally try to encourage people to see a little bit of what I like in things they may not like. That's why I like artistic discussion - when it's good, you see why people like things, come to understand their viewpoints, pick up tips, etc. When I am forceful in my opinion (when talking about art) I invite competition because it will strengthen my skills while bringing new ideas (from other people) into play. Yay for art and yay for art lovers. Sometimes I really wish I could get together with all you people and have a bonfire/kegger and talk about art all night long Smile.
0 Replies

JLNobody

Reply Mon 21 Jul, 2003 05:02 pm
art
Portal Star. Good points, and don't leave me out when you have the bonfire/kegger. But I still feel that, while reading about art and artists helps to appreciate them, a work of art should NOT depend for its appreciation on the ideas behind them. That's why I've never appreciated (virtually all) conceptual art. Once you've gotten the idea (as Lightwizard once put it, if I recall correctly), that's all there is to it. You are not likely to want to return to it over and over again, as you would a Matisse painting or a Beethoven quartet. I don't know why they don't just write essays. Ah, I do know. Because they would look so lame. The ideas presented in visual conceptual art are usually so insignificant, often little more than attempts to denigrate previous works.
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Tue 22 Jul, 2003 10:03 am
oh - reading about it won't make me LIKE it any more! as you say it is a visual reaction - but it may make me aware of why others can relate to it.

I like 'painterly' works where the visual language of marks is rich and imaginative as well as the subject and this sort of work lacks this.
0 Replies