Colorado takes aim at race, sex preferences

Advocate

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 10:30 am
It is never really a tie. The applicants, in the real world, are not equally qualified. The test is that all in the group are minimally qualified. Then, the beneficiary of affirmative action gets preference, even though, for example, that person is far less qualified.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 10:37 am
The reason for AA as I understand it was to help cure, the ills caused by slavery, the subsequent treatment blacks and the jim crow laws in the US.{probably poorly put ,but I am sure you understand my meaning}.
I would ask, why than were Hispanics, blacks who recenly emigrated from the the caribbean islands and Africa and various others covered under the AA legislation. What obligation was owed them?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 10:43 am
Advocate wrote:
It is never really a tie. The applicants, in the real world, are not equally qualified. The test is that all in the group are minimally qualified.

To be "minimally qualified" is to be qualified. After that, an employer or school is permitted to take other circumstances into account. And, I would hasten to point out, you would too.

Advocate wrote:
Then, the beneficiary of affirmative action gets preference, even though, for example, that person is far less qualified.

If both applicants are qualified, then both are equally fit for the position. I see little reason to give the advantage to the applicant who is "super-qualified."
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 10:52 am
joefromchicago wrote:
Baldimo wrote:
My half sister (meaning different father) who is blond haired and green eyed scored on an entrance exam to a nursing school here in CO in the top 2%. She was told that even though she had a great score that she would not be able to start classes because they had to leave slots open for minorties in the class. This isn't a very fair way of doing things in the US. She was crushed and had to wait several years before she was able to get her RN. So much for women getting the same protections as other minorties. If your white forget about equal treatment because of AA.

Reserving slots for minority applicants was declared unconstitutional in the Bakke decision. That was decided nearly thirty years ago. You need to update your anecdotes.

Maybe slots was the wrong word, but there has been cases were they wanted such a % of students in classes or jobs to minorties. If that were not the case, then why is AA there? It has been said several times by your hero Jesse The Con Man Jackson that companies don't have enough color in their work places and has threatened to boycott such places if they didn't open up their businesses to his "experts" on equality.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Thu 10 May, 2007 11:56 am
joefromchicago wrote:
Advocate wrote:
It is never really a tie. The applicants, in the real world, are not equally qualified. The test is that all in the group are minimally qualified.

To be "minimally qualified" is to be qualified. After that, an employer or school is permitted to take other circumstances into account. And, I would hasten to point out, you would too.

Advocate wrote:
Then, the beneficiary of affirmative action gets preference, even though, for example, that person is far less qualified.

If both applicants are qualified, then both are equally fit for the position. I see little reason to give the advantage to the applicant who is "super-qualified."

If I were looking for pilots to hire, I would see very strong reason to hire the much better qualified. Similarly, I was just an ordinary employer trying to make a buck and meet payrolls, I also would would have very strong reason to hire the much better qualified person.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 08:49 am
Advocate wrote:
If I were looking for pilots to hire, I would see very strong reason to hire the much better qualified.

Let's say you set the minimum passing score on a pilot's exam at 100, and two applicants both passed the test. Applicant A scored 100. Applicant B scored 110. Is Applicant B more qualified than Applicant A to fly your planes?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 08:55 am
Baldimo wrote:
Maybe slots was the wrong word, but there has been cases were they wanted such a % of students in classes or jobs to minorties.

Maybe slots was the wrong word because it didn't really happen that way at all. What you're talking about (and what most opponents of affirmative action want to talk about) is quotas, and those have been held unconstitutional for nearly three decades. If you want to attack affirmative action, that's fine. Just attack it for what it is, not for what you think it is.

Baldimo wrote:
If that were not the case, then why is AA there?

It's a tie-breaker, not a quota.

Baldimo wrote:
It has been said several times by your hero Jesse The Con Man Jackson...

That's a good one. I'm sure you first heard that gibe from your hero, Bull Connor.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 09:09 am
Jesse Jerkson and Al Notsosharpton - my heroes.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 10:26 am
joefromchicago wrote:
Baldimo wrote:
Maybe slots was the wrong word, but there has been cases were they wanted such a % of students in classes or jobs to minorties.

Maybe slots was the wrong word because it didn't really happen that way at all. What you're talking about (and what most opponents of affirmative action want to talk about) is quotas, and those have been held unconstitutional for nearly three decades. If you want to attack affirmative action, that's fine. Just attack it for what it is, not for what you think it is.

Baldimo wrote:
If that were not the case, then why is AA there?

It's a tie-breaker, not a quota.

Baldimo wrote:
It has been said several times by your hero Jesse The Con Man Jackson...

That's a good one. I'm sure you first heard that gibe from your hero, Bull Connor.

Why has Jesse "The Pimp" Jackson demanded to see the employment records of companies and threatened to boycott them if they don't show? He wanted to make sure that there were enought black people working there. If this isn't trying to establish quoats then I don't know what is.

Just as racism is still present so are quotas.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 11:27 am
joefromchicago wrote:
Advocate wrote:

Advocate wrote:

I do not know whether you have ever had the occasion to interview an applicant for a job or position. However,speaking from the position of having done so countless times one always strives to hire the individual who you deem most qualified not one that is minimally qualified. And even then it is a crap shoot.
To put it plainly no one unless he was a blithering idiot would hire an individual who was just minimaly qualified when a well qualified candidate was available. And that goes for college entrance as well. Unless they were forced to based upon minority status.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 12:18 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
Advocate wrote:
If I were looking for pilots to hire, I would see very strong reason to hire the much better qualified.

Let's say you set the minimum passing score on a pilot's exam at 100, and two applicants both passed the test. Applicant A scored 100. Applicant B scored 110. Is Applicant B more qualified than Applicant A to fly your planes?

Calling it a tie is a distortion. From my actual experience, you are much more likely see Applicant B scoring 140, and sustaining a major body blow when the job (or promotion) goes to the lower scoring person who is not nearly as talented or experienced.

An interesting result is that the minority or woman getting the job or promotion through AA is forever looked upon as tainted, and the subject of considerable disrespect.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 12:22 pm
Instead of calling it a quota, it is called a goal. The goal is, in reality, a quota because the manager not reaching the goal will suffer adverse actions.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 12:33 pm
Advocate wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
Advocate wrote:

Calling it a tie is a distortion. From my actual experience, you are much more likely see Applicant B scoring 140, and sustaining a major body blow when the job (or promotion) goes to the lower scoring person who is not nearly as talented or experienced.

An interesting result is that the minority or woman getting the job or promotion through AA is forever looked upon as tainted, and the subject of considerable disrespect.

How about we try that again, only this time you answer the question that I asked rather than the one that you wanted me to ask.
0 Replies

Advocate

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 02:01 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
Advocate wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
Advocate wrote:

How about we try that again, only this time you answer the question that I asked rather than the one that you wanted me to ask.

The premise of your question is not realistic. That is why I answered it as I did.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 02:57 pm
Advocate wrote:
The premise of your question is not realistic. That is why I answered it as I did.

I hardly think so. Instead, I suspect that you avoided answering my question because you couldn't think of an intelligent response. But that's all right. If you don't want to engage in a discussion, just say so. But don't pretend that you're engaging in that discussion when you're actually doing your best to avoid it.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 04:31 pm
Re: Colorado takes aim at race, sex preferences
joefromchicago wrote:
Clearly, they don't advocate abolishing sex- and race-based school admission and hiring policies, they just advocate abolishing the ones that don't favor men and whites.

Sums it about up.

joefromchicago wrote:
As for why this is suddenly a big issue, the answer is obvious: the GOP has found that ballot initiatives on hot-button social issues are a way of motivating their core constituencies to go to the polls. The gay marriage issue has lost steam, English-language-only statutes are legally dubious, and flag desecration is so old and busted that even Hillary Clinton favors a flag-burning amendment. So now I guess it's affirmative action's turn to provide a rallying cry for the right wing.

Oh God, sounds like you're on to something. Brother...
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 04:38 pm
Civil rights used to be about treating everyone the same. But today some people are so used to special treatment that equal treatment is considered to be discrimination..-Dr Thomas Sowell
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 04:54 pm
mysteryman wrote:
Civil rights used to be about treating everyone the same. But today some people are so used to special treatment that equal treatment is considered to be discrimination..-Dr Thomas Sowell

Equal opporunity is what AA calls for. . However, in their purview some people are more equal than others
0 Replies

mysteryman

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 05:00 pm
au1929 wrote:
mysteryman wrote:

Equal opporunity is what AA calls for. . However, in their purview some people are more equal than others

Is this "equal opportunity?...

http://www.adversity.net/fed_stats/fed_stats_main.htm
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 11 May, 2007 05:10 pm
Re: Colorado takes aim at race, sex preferences
nimh wrote:
joefromchicago wrote:
Clearly, they don't advocate abolishing sex- and race-based school admission and hiring policies, they just advocate abolishing the ones that don't favor men and whites.

Sums it about up.

joefromchicago wrote:
As for why this is suddenly a big issue, the answer is obvious: the GOP has found that ballot initiatives on hot-button social issues are a way of motivating their core constituencies to go to the polls. The gay marriage issue has lost steam, English-language-only statutes are legally dubious, and flag desecration is so old and busted that even Hillary Clinton favors a flag-burning amendment. So now I guess it's affirmative action's turn to provide a rallying cry for the right wing.

Oh God, sounds like you're on to something. Brother...

I want equal treatment for everyone. So I would like to see the end of all special protections and that goes for AA as well as hate crimes. One persons murder isn't any more heart breaking then anothers. Unless that person is a child. An adult is an adult.
0 Replies