SUVs, what are they good for?

frolic

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 01:17 am
Quote:
By Maggie Shiels

California could lead the United States in outlawing sports utility vehicles (SUVs).

The big four-wheel-drive cars are often depicted as Public Enemy Number One by environmentalists because of their high petrol consumption.
While green activists praise the proposal as a major step forward, critics predict the legislation will fail because SUVs are so popular with drivers.

"God saw that it was good and Jesus says, love thy neighbour as thyself, yet too many of the cars, trucks and SUVs that are made are polluting our air," goes an advert in favour of the ban.

Despite such provocative campaigns, Americans love their cars and the bigger the better.

Even divine criticism has failed to dent phenomenal sales of the SUV.

California legislators believe the answer is a fuel-efficient compact car that gets more than the average 13 - 16 miles a gallon an SUV gets.

Heavy pollution

Low mileage is one reason that the state's treasurer, Phil Angeledis, is sponsoring a bill which will outlaw SUVs from the state's 73,000-strong car pool.

Quote:
By beginning to eliminate SUVs from our state fleet... we can set an example - a leadership example
Phil Angeledis
California state treasurer

"Well I think the state has an obligation to set an example," said Mr Angeledis.

"And if we can reduce air pollution, reduce our dependence on oil, if we can cut our costs, then we should do so...

"By beginning to eliminate SUVs from our state fleet, which is one of the largest public fleets... we can set an example - a leadership example."

While California would be the first state to introduce such legislation, the Republican governor of Massachusetts, Mitt Romney, has indicated he is also looking into a similar ban.

Environmental groups across America are praising California's efforts, particularly because the state is home to nine of the 10 most ozone-polluted counties in the country.

Environmentalist Russell Long of the Bluewater Network says that, with over 30 million cars on California's roads every day, this is an important first step:

"California represents about 2% of global warming emissions altogether.

"As air temperatures increase, we have greater smog and greater smog also leads to a greater incidence of asthma and respiratory infection and premature death."

'Mostly couples'

The consumer organisation which represents SUV drivers, says the legislation is misdirected. Jason Vines is the president of SUV Owners of America:

"Today's most popular SUVs on the market, like the Chevrolet Trailblazer and the Ford Explorer, those vehicles have the same exact emissions as old passenger cars and they have lower emissions from the tailpipe than a passenger car built just three years ago.

"As far as fuel economy, I can't argue with you. Most SUVs get worse fuel economy than a small car but yet they're safer."

In California, the must-have set of wheels is the Hummer H2 - a $60,000 civilian version of the military Humvee.

Gerry Schumacher of Team Hummer in Marin, 32 kilometres (20 miles) north of San Francisco, explains who is buying:

"I would guess less than 10% are true off-roaders. I would say 60% are couples that are between 35 and 55. Another 10 or 20% are single men who just need a 'chick magnet'."

While the Bill's sponsors try to slam the brakes on SUVs being part of the nation's largest vehicle fleet, it is unlikely that Californians as a whole will end their love affair with the gas guzzlers any time soon.

What's the use of a SUV when you never go off-road?
Safety? They are only safe for the people in it. When you're a pedestrian or drive a normal car those SUV's are not safe but lethal.
And when everybody has such a safe SUV, the safety effect is gone and people will have to buy 18 Wheel Trucks to feel safe on the road. Idea

conclusion: SUVs are good for nothing. They pollute over 3 times cars causing health problems for all, they clog the highways, block other's views, cause auto insurance rates to increase for all since bumper mismatch and they are wasteful of resources
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 8,638 • Replies: 61
No top replies

Lightwizard

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 08:04 am
You've also got the minivan which every I know who owns one has absolutely no use for. I'd have to say that the Honda CRV is compact and gets enough gas millage, it's more desirable. Honda is coming out with a hybrid of the CRV next year. Both have just about killed the station wagon (I still own a Honda station wagon which they not longer make and get good gas millage). The prime argument I hear from people who want SUV's is they are high up so they can see the traffic (this was also accentuated on last season's funny "Curb Your Enthusiasm" episode where Larry David becomes a car salesman). Finally, the SUV has seemed to replace the Corvette as a penus extension.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 08:04 am
frolic wrote:
conclusion: SUVs are good for nothing. They pollute over 3 times cars causing health problems for all, they clog the highways, block other's views, cause auto insurance rates to increase for all since bumper mismatch and they are wasteful of resources

Shocked Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 08:40 am
SUV's, HUHN
Good God, y'all
What are they good for?
Absolutely nothin' . . .
Say it again . . .
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 08:44 am
We have a four wheel drive Suburban in Arizona. One of our hobbies is prospecting, and some of the "roads" we take to go to the claims absolutely require the high clearance and four wheel drive.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 09:02 am
Personally, I would never buy an SUV at this stage in my life. I'm single, and don't need one. I think it would be a waste of money for me.
However, I don't care how many people buy them. So what if they get worse gas mileage than most passenger cars? People want to pay for that difference...let them. Doesn't affect me.
As far as blocking traffic/view: that's BS. If you can't see around them you're tailgating them. Do you get pissed off at every pickup truck driver, every minivan driver, ect? There's always going to be trucks on the road, whether or not in SUV form.
Anyway, the good news for anit-SUV people, is the trend is shifting towards new SUV's coming out that are more "car-like." They're smaller, more streamlined, and built off of car platforms instead of truck platforms(lower bumpers+lighter), and they're increasingly getting better gas mileage.

The thing I do laugh at though, is people(seems like mostly women), who think they're "safer" because they sit up higher. Um, yea...safer when you roll over, too dumbass. Or when I'm on the highway in the snow, and see someone in an SUV bombing down the road because they think 4WD is safer in the snow. Guess what? 4WD's take longer to stop, handle poorly, and 4WD isn't going to stop you any sooner in the snow when you have to jam on your brakes.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 09:10 am
Denver Colorado has the highest percentage of SUV's in the USA.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 09:13 am
I work with researchers who, among other things, study MV crash data and auto design. SUVs are dangerous to drivers in cars in side-impact crashes. The point of contact is so high that the driver in the smaller vehicle isn't protected by the safety features of his/her car.

Just something else to think about in the SUV debate...
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 09:18 am
every time it snows in Denver the roads are blocked by SUV's that can go anywhere as fast as they want (into snow banks)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 09:28 am
Quote:
Federal figures show that four-wheel-drive SUVs average 6.9 kilometres per litre and on some larger models that goes down to 4.8. Hummers are even worse. In comparison, the average petrol-fuelled saloon manages 12. In a country where, according to the US department of energy, per-capita energy consumption has been about 4.5 times greater than the world average, the debate over SUVs is inextricably linked to the broader national debate - namely what responsibility America has to the rest of the world and how it should go about fulfilling it.

quoatation from:
Fighting the axles of evil
0 Replies

frolic

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 09:52 am
McGentrix wrote:
frolic wrote:

And your arguments to contest this?

SUVs use up to an extra 280.000 barrels of fuel each day. That fuel demand is one of the reasons to start drilling in the Arctic National Preserve in Alaska. The Drilling will give an extra 580.000 barrels a day, enough to double the number of SUVs on the road.

All thanks to Bill Clinton. He exempted SUVs from the mileage requirements of regular passenger cars.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 10:02 am
McGentrix is what might be called a knee-jerk conservative. He reacts instinctively (and negatively) to anything he interprets as being pro-environment or in any way progressive.

Is that a fair assessment, McG?
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 10:16 am
Could somebody please translate that into gallons & miles for this unfortunate one? I can estimate, but I'd be wildly off. Both of our cars get almost the same mileage, 18-22 mpg. Not great, but one's a Ford Explorer, the other's a Volvo 850.

Hybrid cars are interesting -- if they'd ever get some good styling, they'd sell better!
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 10:52 am
Its' true re the hybrids and styling. They're kinda boxy...
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 11:31 am
frolic wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
frolic wrote:

And your arguments to contest this?

SUVs use up to an extra 280.000 barrels of fuel each day. That fuel demand is one of the reasons to start drilling in the Arctic National Preserve in Alaska. The Drilling will give an extra 580.000 barrels a day, enough to double the number of SUVs on the road.

All thanks to Bill Clinton. He exempted SUVs from the mileage requirements of regular passenger cars.

If SUV's were good for nothing, they woldn't sale. I use mine to haul a 12' pop-up camper, and canoe when I go camping. I also use it to get to remote locations in the Adirondack mountains when I go hunting. I also use it in the winter time when the snow has buried my car. I also use it to haul my family around in because as stated in a previous message, cars are less safe.

D'artagnan: Eat me. oops! Was that too knee-jerk reactionary? Laughing
0 Replies

snood

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 11:47 am
No - it was totally in character for you, McG.

As is your defense of the fondness for the impractical, gas-guzzling All american SUV.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 11:56 am
Remember when they used to call SUVs 'Station Wagons?'

I would never buy one personally, but I would still prefer an SUV to an STD.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 12:00 pm
The German word for it ('Geländewagen') means something like 'rough country car'. (Would be the same in French - cav, isn't it? - 'voiture tout terrain'.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 12:02 pm
I believe station wagons evolved into mini-vans, not SUV's.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 12:04 pm
snood wrote:
No - it was totally in character for you, McG.

As is your defense of the fondness for the impractical, gas-guzzling All american SUV.

Gee, that is a real unexpected response... Rolling Eyes
0 Replies