What to do with Indifferent Frozen Flounder

Noddy24

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 10:53 am
Never mind why....the backstory doesn't properly assign blame, let alone solve the problem.

In my freezer, I have between three and four pounds of flounder, frozen in approximately 2 ounce portions.

Lightly poached, it is blah.

Lightly grilled, it is blah.

Is there any way I can salvage this stuff without serving blah?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 3 • Views: 3,228 • Replies: 30
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 10:58 am
We watched a "Throwdown with Bobby Flay" recently that had some delectable-looking fish and chips.

Here's a recipe that says flounder can be used:

http://www.inmamaskitchen.com/RECIPES/RECIPES/Fish/fishandchips.html

I think this is Bobby's recipe:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,,FOOD_9936_32820,00.html?rsrc=search
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 11:15 am
When people were starving on the prairies in Canada during the depression, other Canadians from the Maratimes thought to help them out by sending them salt cod--a dried product which needs to be soaked before it can be eaten. The prairie folks, not knowing what to do with it, came to the conclusion that it was inedible, and used it to plug holes in the insulation.

No help at all, i know, but this thread did remind me of that funny anecdote.
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 11:19 am
Those sound mouth wateringly good, sozobe, especially the spicy one.

It's been a while since I cooked fish but, for a light meal, I like to broil the fish with just a little butter and then top it with some mango salsa. My salsa is sort of whatever I have at hand or crave, but it goes something like this:

1 mango, cubed & peeled
1/2 avocado, cubed & peeled
1/2 sweet red pepper, chopped fine
cilantro, chopped, to taste
fresh lime juice, to taste
sea salt, to taste

sometimes a little chopped scallion, if I feel like it, or cucumber or palm hearts, etc.

Let it sit, at room temperature, for about an hour to develop the flavour and then artistically spoon it over your broiled fish. Anything extra will last a few days in the fridge, and it's good on other stuff as well -- like hamburgers, sliced chicken sandwich, etc. If I'm saving any, I don't use the scallion because I find the onion flavour overpowers the others by the next day.
0 Replies

Tico

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 11:22 am
While I was typing, Setanta slipped in. I didn't know that, Set, but it's funny. (Sometimes I get the feeling that Setanta knows more about Canada than most Canadians!)

So there ya go, Noddy -- if the recipes don't appeal, you can use it as a construction material. Shocked
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 12:33 pm
Soz--

This stuff is sliced too thin to bread. At the highest point each "filet" is as thick as a piece of corrugated cardboard.

Set--

Soggy, floppy cardboard--unsuitable for construction.

Tico--

I've noted your recipe, but Mr. Noddy is a very conservative eater. He prefers canned salmon to fresh or frozen.
0 Replies

ul

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 12:53 pm
Flounder filets roulades

blanch a leave of iceberg lettuce for each filet
put on filet, add salmon, tuna, or crabmeat
roll up
simmer in fish stock
take out, keep warm, prepare a sauce adding cream,mustard and maybe a bit of cornstarch.

#

wrap a slice of bacon around each filet while rolling it up to a roulade.
Put them into a buttered ovenproof dish
Mix cream and tomato purée, add pepper and salt
Pour over the fish, add thyme
bake and serve with fresh pasta
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 01:25 pm
Ul--

Two possible solutions--although with Mr. Noddy's kidneys, I have to watch the amount of protein in each serving.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 01:34 pm
Even less helpful or interesting that Setanta's input is that every time I see this threads title I start singing....

What shall we do with a frozen flounder?
Early in the morning

Slap it on the head and call it Suzy
Early in the morning

Hit it on the head with a broken hammer
Early in the morning

(Those are the only two verses I remember.)

Maybe you just ought to send that frozen flounder down to Davy Jones locker!
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 01:37 pm
Boomer--

I'm tempted.

At least I didn't have to clean the fish myself. It arrived cleaned, filleted and frozen.
0 Replies

mckenzie

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 02:42 pm
With thinner sole, or flounder or even pickerel fillets, coat the fillets with flour and seasonings and saute it, or use a combination of flour and dry onion soup mix, or herb and garlic soup mix, whatever. Lemon wedges and/or tartar sauce.

Bake them in a foil packet, seasoned with with salt, pepper, garlic, parsley, thin lemon slices or lemon juice and little dabs of butter.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 03:36 pm
How about some fish croquettes

2 cups cold boiled fish
2 cups hot mashed potato
1 tablespoon butter
½ cup hot milk
1 egg
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon chopped parsley

Pick the fish over carefully to remove skin and bone; mince fine; combine all the ingredients, mix thoroughly and let cool.
When cold, form into a roll, dip into beaten egg, roll in bread crumbs, fry in hot fat.

Drain on brown paper.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 03:45 pm
This sounds yummy:

This flounder recipe is cooked then browned under the broiler.
INGREDIENTS:
2 cups water
salt
1 1/2 pound flounder or cod fillets
1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach
3 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
dash cayenne
1 1/4 cups milk
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

PREPARATION:
In a large skillet, bring water to a boil; add salt. Add flounder and simmer in the water for 10 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork. Remove fish.
Cook frozen chopped spinach as directed on package; drain well.

Place spinach in a shallow buttered baking dish; place fish on top of spinach.

Melt butter; blend in flour and a dash of cayenne pepper. Cook over medium low heat, stirring constantly until a smooth paste has formed. Gradually add milk, stirring constantly. Continue cooking and stirring until mixture is thick; pour over spinach. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Put under broiler until lightly browned.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 04:43 pm
I'm beginning to feel hopeful.

Mckenzie--

The onion soup would add some much needed flavor--and Mr. Noddy predisposed to mild adventure when the odor is familiar.

C.J.--

Good idea. Anything with potatoes is probably acceptable.

Boomer--

I adore spinach. My son adores spinach. When my son comes to visit, I'll try this and give Mr. N. something else.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 04:53 pm
mrs h sometimes sends me to buy fish on a saturday - i'm supposed to buy enough for two days !
i ALWAYS buy too much !
so whatever leftover fish there is - cooked or uncooked - goes into a fish-chowder - and we both quite like it .
you can also make fishburgers which you can spice to your liking .
enjoy the flounder !
personaly i like either a whole panfried flounder and also smoked flounder - with the skin on !
hbg

Quote:
Hearty Fish Chowder
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 medium carrots, cut in small dice
1 rib celery, thinly sliced
2 tablespoons butter, divided
1 pound frozen haddock fillets - or any other fish
2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
1 bay leaf
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon dried leaf thyme crumbled
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup dry white wine or water
2 cups milk
1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley or 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes

In a large saucepan over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon butter; add onions, carrots and celery, stirring and cooking until onion is tender. Add fish, potatoes, bay leaf, salt, thyme, pepper, and wine or water. Cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, until fish is cooked. Break fish into chunks. Add milk and remaining 1 tablespoon butter; heat through. Discard bay leaf, sprinkle with parsley and serve.
Fish chowder recipe serves 4.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 05:21 pm
you can tell who I'm related to - I was going to recommend making a fish chowdah

Very Happy
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 05:22 pm
(I start with the Diet for a Small Planet potato soup, and go forward from that point)
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 05:29 pm
you are all lucky that ehbeth did not recommend "helgolaender fischtopf" , which traditionally is prepared with "SEA-EEL" - now there is a treat for you Shocked
hbg

ps "sea-eel" is actually from the back of the shark Laughing
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 05:42 pm
I make fish soup about once a week...

and, damn, there's a truly creepy article today on the estrogens in fish flesh, that is, fish from our poluted waters that sewage has flowed into.

Bringing Cancer to the Dinner Table: Breast Cancer Cells Grow Under Influence of Fish Flesh - Scientific American article

Anyway, a lot of these recipes sound good to me.

I was going to say, though, Noddy, if your shivery cold flounders are indifferent, perhaps they need a fire lit...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 19 Apr, 2007 05:44 pm
I don't mind eating eel, the non shark kind, but I don't want to see them beforehand, no thank you.
0 Replies