Virginia Tech Debacle/ Work of a Deranged Man............Or

sozobe

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 08:00 am
Yeah, just read about Nikki Giovanni insisting that he be removed from her class or she'd resign -- seems more and more like something should have been done.

I agree with fishin about connecting dots. Whose job should that have been, I wonder?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 10:08 am
Only now have I heard about Nikki Giovanni's refusal to have him in her class. She seems to have been the only one to draw the line on this guy. Everyone else seemed to have simply tolerated him.

For those of you who don't know, Ms. Giovanni is also a celebrated poet and author, her writings quite radical at times during the Black Power movement of the late 60's and 70's. (She was a fierce little thing and, needless to say I'm sure, I adored her.) So, to me, if she was intimidated by this guy, saying that he had a meanness in him that unnerved her, then he was definitely more than just a moody kid and should have been expelled unless agreeing to psychiatric care.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 10:27 am
eoe wrote:
Only now have I heard about Nikki Giovanni's refusal to have him in her class. She seems to have been the only one to draw the line on this guy. Everyone else seemed to have simply tolerated him.

For those of you who don't know, Ms. Giovanni is also a celebrated poet and author, her writings quite radical at times during the Black Power movement of the late 60's and 70's. (She was a fierce little thing and, needless to say I'm sure, I adored her.) So, to me, if she was intimidated by this guy, saying that he had a meanness in him that unnerved her, then he was definitely more than just a moody kid and should have been expelled unless agreeing to psychiatric care.

Do you know her personally eoe? Not that it is relevant to the discussion but your words struck me as those of someone with a direct, personal knowledge of her. Just curious. Embarrassed
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 10:44 am
No, unfortunately, I've never had the pleasure of meeting her. Maybe someday...
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 11:01 am
Okies! I watched her do an interview on TV last night and she seemed like one hell of a woman. She semed to be very despondant that her calls for help went unheeded.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 11:41 am
32 people dead? That's a hell of a reason to be despondent. There's no joy or comfort in being able to say "I told you so."
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 01:19 pm
happycat, I am aware of the definition of passion...my post does not change

Another piece of information regarding this case...the guy actually posted online in a forum saying he was going to guy and kill people at vtech the day before.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 03:52 pm
Do we know if there was any way to identify him?

I guess the site admins would have had access to an email address...and hence a way of tracking him through his ISP?

Whoa!!!

I wonder if any of them saw it?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 04:09 pm
I'm tired of the gun-control debate on the other thread, so I'll be staying here to read along.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 04:15 pm
Lil k, are you watching Channel 5 news right now perchance? Looks like we have our own local VaTech copycat wanna-be. Sad
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 04:17 pm
What...?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 04:20 pm
No!
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 04:20 pm
http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/12397663/detail.html

"Police: Local Student Threatens To Recreate Massacre
Man To Face Charges Thursday

POSTED: 12:09 pm EDT April 18, 2007
UPDATED: 6:14 pm EDT April 18, 2007

BOSTON -- A Needham man was accused of sending instant messages that were laced with death threats to three college students.

NewsCenter 5's Janet Wu reported Wednesday that Boston Police Department documents state that Andrew Rosenblum, of Needham, sent a series of instant messages to a Wheelock College student late Monday night and early Tuesday, threatening to kill her and two friends, one of whom he dated several times last fall.

"I'm gonna bring a gun to your school and kill you and (the other female student) and everybody you love. It's gonna be VT, (a reference to the Virginia Tech massacre earlier that day), all over again. Seriously, I'm just that demented," one message said.

Wheelock College confirmed the threats, saying in a statement, "Early Tuesday, a Wheelock student received a threat via e-mail. Our campus community has been informed. Wheelock participated in the city meeting held on Tuesday to discuss campus security measures."

Rosenblum is enrolled in two classes at a Boston University non-degree program. A spokesman for the university said this was his first and only association with the school. Police said Rosenblum was undergoing psychiatric evaluation at Newton Wellesley Hospital. He was brought there early Tuesday by Needham police, who were contacted by Boston police after the Wheelock students reported the computer threats.

Court documents state that Rosenblum made references to drinking, being stressed out, being depressed and that "killing people can change people's lives forever and the best is in the end, when I pull the trigger on myself, too." The messages that are allegedly written by Rosenblum to the Wheelock student said, "You better be scared because I'm coming for ya. Whatcha gonna do? Call the police on me?" Officials said that the final threat was, "Coming soon to a Wheelock campus near you."

NewsCenter 5 contacted two of the alleged victims. Both declined to be interviewed for fear of escalating the problems. The Suffolk County district attorney's office said Rosenblum will be released from the hospital Thursday morning and taken to Roxbury District Court for arraignment. "
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 04:22 pm
That was the ultimate cry for help. Glad he got it.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 04:24 pm
Geez.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 04:25 pm
<exhale>

Glad they got him, hope that it will actually help.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 04:26 pm
I expect there will be more of these. Most will be bad jokes offered in poor taste but all it takes is one...
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 04:41 pm
i don't know what it's like in the united states , but in canada it is usually quite a long drwn-out procedure to have someone committed to a mental institution .
someone considered "a danger" may be put under observation for a short time , but unless the person has either committed violent acts or if psychiatrists can show that there is grave and imminent danger , a person would not be committed to a mental institurion - that is a pretty rare situation in canada .
i believe current thinking is that people should generally not be institutionalized but live in the community with assistance from mental health workers as required .
most (closed) mental health facilities in canada have been phased and been replaced by small home-like facilities within residental areas - we have one in our neighbourhood and it does not present any problems - or such people live on their own or with their families without direct supervision .
i guess incidents such as at virginia tech are the price that society needs to be willing to assume to give the majority of people with mental health problems a chance to live a life outside of large institutions .
of course the people killed at VT and their families paid a very high price for that "freedom" of people with mental health problems .
i doubt that it will ever be possible to eliminate such mistakes as happened at VT .
hbg
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 05:30 pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uT2jRWkfSoY&mode=related&search=
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 05:42 pm
Why are you posting that song here Bill? I think the song Jeremy would be more apt, actually. Spot on, almost, in fact.

There is so much news to filter through...does anyone have a timeline of the whole thing yet? I'm wondering how long it took from the beginning of the second set of shootings until the cops found him dead.
0 Replies