Instinctive anger at the wealthy and/or wealth contrasts

Mame

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 05:25 pm
My answer wasn't directed at you, snood.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 05:30 pm
Chai wrote:

Not an hour ago I got out my car and slugged some woman who was taking too long to parallel park.

yeah.. thanks for that.. Confused
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 05:38 pm
Laughing shewolf

snood wrote:

No, we are "no closer to solving the WHY" of nimh's particular case.

And?

I provided a "why" that was greated at least with some curiosity. The Kuleshov effect. Has it been dismissed?

nimh made it clear that his reaction to the wealthier couple occured only in the context of having just seen the poorer couple.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 05:44 pm
I think soz and nimh already named it - that there might be some misperception or miscommunication or miswhatever going on.

I abhor violence too. In fact, it's my every day job to prevent violence and reconcile communities after conflict. Thus I dare say that peace and anti-violence is the core value that rules my life. I have also never been in a fight in my entire life. Wait, I take that back. I did get involved in a chair fight in the second grade of kindergarden. But I've never slapped or kicked anyone since.
These 'visceral' urges last for a milisecond and they have nothing to do with rational judgment. Zero. Just like nimh knew his milisecond hatred of the 'rich' couple is irrational and unfounded, so would i know it if a smelly man chewed a gum loudly in my ear while rustling a plastic bag. It's a primitive instinct that strikes from a gut, and not judgment. Judgment is what makes us never act on it, or even consider acting on it.

(I do like piercings though, at least some of them. I have five earrings and a nose ring. I have a tattoo too. I hope that doesn't make me a bad person :wink: .)
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 06:01 pm
Not at all, but you'll understand why I'm staring at your chin if we're ever talking face to face. Smile
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 06:19 pm
i have a big fresh zit on my chin today. is that why??!?!
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 06:22 pm
nimh wrote:
By now I really do think too much is being read into this count (perhaps because it coincides with general disagreement about the topic?). And that the only difference between Dag and me and many others is, at most, that we're anal enough to name feelings even of the shortest duration and smallest consequence, and honestly hold forth about them.

I also note that whereas my visceral, momentary reaction is categorised as a possible "threat", Dag's reaction is reason for a Laughing - when it's exactly the same thing. Some kind of dissonance here. <shrugs>

Ok, agreed. I'll shut up about it now and go back to reading along. But, the Laughing was at the thought of me kicking someone (because it simply wouldn't happen) not at Dag's reaction.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 06:40 pm
JPB wrote:

Ok, agreed. I'll shut up about it now and go back to reading along. But, the Laughing was at the thought of me kicking someone (because it simply wouldn't happen) not at Dag's reaction.

but but but....i've never kicked anyone either.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 06:51 pm
Mame wrote:
My answer wasn't directed at you, snood.

S'okay. Mine was at you.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 07:20 pm
So the elderly osso toddles in and admits throwing the contents of my beer glass at someone once. Which threw me that I did that just after I did it. I'll admit having some beer, but not all that much, as I don't really like beer. I forget now, more than 25 years later, what he said that made me just toss it, and I have a flicker of memory of a kind of half-kidding half-outraged sense of my doing it when I did.

And I knew the fellow, so that was a different circumstance.

I mention this as one of a2k's peaceniks, at least politically. Don't get me going about bombs. Never mind my politics, much of my instinctive and thought out behavior is to work stuff out, at least once I've digested what is going on. So in the midst of my lots of decades of non violent behavior, I toss a beer? Well, he was a theater director and an endlessly pompass ass who I'd listened to for too many hundreds of hours in my own house and I reacted to some derogatory sentence about someone - as much as I can remember - from him in that wild way. My carpet over any violent tendencies we share as part of the human species is pretty thick. I get angry fairly often and have well developed modes for consideration of my anger. My own beer tossing idiocy (which hardly caused a murmur at the time, but I remember it still) gives me a certain window....
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 07:35 pm
Dagmaraka wrote:
I have also never been in a fight in my entire life. Wait, I take that back. I did get involved in a chair fight in the second grade of kindergarden. But I've never slapped or kicked anyone since.

So our pillow fight back in '03 meant so little to you that you have now erased it from your memory? The joy etched on our faces as we bounced on the bed and threw pillows is only so much water under the bridge?

I've been hurt before but this is a special kind of hurt. A hurt that cuts so deeply as to cause bleeding that may be perpetual.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 07:36 pm
You've the soul of a poet, gus.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 07:43 pm
My original name was Gustav Tennyson, but I changed it to Ratzenhofer when I entered this country.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 07:45 pm
I knew one Tennyson. He claimed to be from Nagaland. That was YOU, Gus?

Hmmm, very odd. Well in that case I remember you only too well.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 07:47 pm
Yes, the things we discover, eh?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 07:49 pm
Dag, it is my understanding that you are now an anchorless ship, drifting aimlessly, and casting a forlorn eye at occasional land masses.

Problems?
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 07:49 pm
If you'd like to, I'll adopt you dagmar, and all your visa problems
will be over.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 07:51 pm
And speaking of Tennyson, I have just noticed the similarity between our very own Setanta and Lord Alfred...

http://www.online-literature.com/authorpics/tennyson.jpg

Of course, Set has more hair, but the facial structure appears to be the same.
0 Replies

dagmaraka

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 08:06 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Dag, it is my understanding that you are now an anchorless ship, drifting aimlessly, and casting a forlorn eye at occasional land masses.

Problems?

what problems? Aging spinstress flailing around without legal status or home or money.... life is pure joy!

I'm available for adoption or marriage, yes.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Wed 18 Apr, 2007 08:10 pm
dagmaraka wrote:
gustavratzenhofer wrote:

Problems?

what problems? Aging spinstress flailing around without legal status or home or money.... life is pure joy!

I'm available for adoption or marriage, yes.

Would you be willing to live out your days trudging through a fetid swamp, dragging lobster traps?

I've never actually caught any lobsters in my swamp, but I've always wanted to see a young woman dragging lobster traps through it while I sit in my rocking chair and watch, while nursing a cold beer.

So... sound like a plan?
0 Replies