Daewoo Woe

snood

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 03:04 pm
I'm stuck with a Daewoo Leganza with a blown engine, that I still owe alot on. After I bought it, Daewoo went out of business, and parts (engines) are hard to find. If I go for volutary repossession, I'll have screwed credit for 7 years. Nobody will touch it as a trade-in. Any constructive suggestions (please spare me the ones about shooting myself, pushing the car off a cliff, or things similar)?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,768 • Replies: 15
No top replies

roger

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 05:34 pm
None. Sometimes you just take the loss and go on.
I guess you could hope for someone to steal and vandelize it beyond all repair. It is fully insured, isn't it?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 05:54 pm
Yes - I've done everything I should do - make the payments, insure it adequately... couldn't foresee the g.d. company going bankrupt, and marooning me without even access to parts.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 07:45 pm
snood, That's a bummer for sure. Too bad you picked one of the worst cars to buy. According to JD Powers, Daewoo sits last to next in the basement. http://www.jdpa.com/presspass/pr/pressrelease.asp?ID=2003050
The next best thing is to pick your next car on quality. Check out the JD Power's quality ranking, and buy the least problem car you can afford. I've had my Lexus for ten years, and I've had zero problems, although I've barely put on 50,000 miles so far. It's dependable and quiet. I hope to keep it for another 50,000 miles.
c.i.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 08:27 pm
snood, Have you tried salvage yards? Or online parts services likeGoogle Search Daewoo Parts
0 Replies

essesseel

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 06:58 pm
snood. daewoo are really crappe. just get someone to steal it and burn it out somewhere,,,,i know you said dont suggest this but,its the only way out.. or fork out for a junkyard engine and hope you can sell it on, breaking even.....i know what i would do....hey, its every man for himself!!!!!! even if you are in the g.d army.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 07:47 pm
ess, WELCOME to A2K. You gotta be careful how you introduce yourself to A2K. Not a good idea to present fraud as a solution on your first post. But, hey, like you said, "it's every man for himself." c.i.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 03:35 pm
Woe be me if I buy a Daewoo. Wink
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 04:02 pm
You can still find parts for them...but the cheapest way out is to find a used engine. Call salvage yards, get it fixed, then sell it, or "hope" the car gets totalled or stolen. I'm sure you'll still owe too much on it even when fixed, those cars depreciate so fast to worthless.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 28 Jul, 2003 04:04 pm
By the way...DO NOT give the car up for a voluntary repo. It'll cost you alot more in the long run just to save a couple grand now. And don't count on it being off your credit in 7 years, either.
0 Replies

aimeemarie123

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 10:25 am
thank you!
I have had bad luck with every car I have ever bought. my mother just called me and told me she saw a daewoo for 4500 dollars and it was a year 2000. i thought it was too good to be true, and now that i have read what happened to you i know it was. all of the reports on other web sites said they were just as good as a subaru legacy. you told the truth and saved me. i am so sorry that happened to you . Crying or Very sad
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 18 Aug, 2003 10:12 pm
aimeemarie, WELCOME to A2K. c.i.
0 Replies

IZZU

Reply Fri 5 Sep, 2003 02:40 am
Stay cool man. GM took over deawoo so , sooner or later you'll find the parts coming in . There are actualy changing Deawoo into a Cheavy soon.

Razz
0 Replies

Sunmaiden

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 09:09 am
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
By the way...DO NOT give the car up for a voluntary repo. It'll cost you alot more in the long run just to save a couple grand now. And don't count on it being off your credit in 7 years, either.

This is an old story:
6 months after purchasing a new 1999 Mazda for around $12K, it was wrecked with almost $8K in damages. All State would not total it out and I couldn't pay the $500 deductible to get it fixed. I told Mazda they could have it, i.e. voluntary repo (VP). Mazda sold it at auction for $10K and has been sending me a bill for over $2K saying I owed the difference. Naturally the interest on this $2K has built up over the past 6 years, so the bill I get has just about doubled. This VP has been on my credit rating since 2000 and has been sold 3 times to different collection agencies. My 7 years is almost up, but now you have me worried. Please tell me what you know about it not coming off my credit in 7 years.
Thanks
0 Replies

snood

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 09:17 am
Wow, I had forgotten I wrote this. Well, all's well that ends well, I suppose. I ended up taking it to be fixed at a Chrysler dealership that said they could get the parts. Just before I paid the repair guy, he said "How'd you like us to put you in a Chrysler?" they were kind enough to take my piece of crap Daewoo in trade, and I've been in a Sebring ever since that's pleased me fine.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Fri 14 Apr, 2006 09:21 am
applause on getting rid of the dea-wwont run.
0 Replies