Neocons and nepotism? Sex, money & the fall of Wolfowitz

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 09:16 am
Neocons and nepotism? Sex, money & the fall of Wolfowitz
By Rupert Cornwell
Independent UK
Published: 11 April 2007

The man affectionately known as 'Wolfie' by George Bush has struggled to make friends in his new job as the head of the World Bank. Now his staff are accusing him of lavishing promotions and pay rises on his girlfriend

For a mild-mannered and scrupulously polite man, Paul Wolfowitz has a remarkable knack of attracting controversy. There are the minuscule controversies - such as when, in his current incarnation as President of the World Bank, he was seen to have holes in his socks when he took off the mandatory slippers after a visit to a mosque in Turkey earlier this year. Was this handsomely paid international civil servant such a cheapskate that he wouldn't shell out a few dollars for some new socks?

Then of course there are somewhat more serious controversies, among them the war in Iraq, of which Wolfowitz, then deputy Secretary of Defence, was one of the most enthusiastic advocates and principal architects.

Wolfowitz, it will be remembered, fervently believed that the American invaders would be hailed as liberators, and that the occupation would require no more than 100,000 troops at most. These surely rank as two of the more disastrous military misjudgements of recent times.

And now he is in yet more trouble, this time over the promotion and lavish pay rises accorded to his partner, a former senior employee of the Bank. Shaha Riza is a British national of Libyan ancestry who grew up in Saudi Arabia. She and Wolfowitz have been together since his previous marriage broke down in 2001. Indeed, her strong belief in bringing democracy to the Arab world is said to have only strengthened her partner's determination to confer that boon on Iraq.

Their relationship became public when Wolfowitz succeeded James Wolfensohn at the helm of the Bank in mid-2005. At first he attempted to keep her in her job as communications adviser at the Bank's Middle East department, even though that was flatly against the ethics rules of the organisation. In the end she was sent to the State Department, but stayed on the World Bank's payroll. She was promoted and given two rises well above staff norms, bringing her salary to $193,000 (£98,000) - more than Condoleezza Rice, the Secretary of State.

Among Bank employees, the indignation was widespread and understandable. Given Wolfowitz's reputation as a neoconservative and his identification with George Bush's war in Iraq, he was an unpopular choice as president from the outset.

Since then, he has made the fight against corruption, both in countries receiving World Bank aid, and among Bank employees, a priority issue.

But was not the Riza affair an example, if not of corruption, then at least of favouritism and nepotism, those selfsame Third World vices against which Wolfowitz now campaigns?

Last week the Bank's staff association formally complained about the promotion and pay increases, and on Monday Wolfowitz promised in an email to employees that the association would have full access to the facts of the case, for which he accepted "full responsibility".

In the meantime, Riza has left the State Department. She is now said to be working for the Foundation for the Future, an international group largely funded by the US, whose prime mission is (you've guessed) to advance freedom and democracy in the Middle East and north Africa. But will that be the end of the matter?

Paul Wolfowitz, after all, is a man who carries a good deal of baggage. When he was named by Bush to head the Bank in early 2005, an in-house survey found that nearly 90 per cent of staff opposed the choice.

Wolfowitz, it was feared, would be a mere placeman of the White House, sent in to further the global political agenda of the Bush administration. Fairly or unfairly, he was regarded as a neocon zealot with no feel for, or qualification for, the Bank's mission of helping the developing world. Accusations of cronyism reared their head.

Rather than choose Bank people as his top aides, Wolfowitz brought in Republican political operatives, at least two of whom - Robin Cleveland, a former senior White House official, and Kevin Kellems, who had worked in Vice-President Dick Cheney's office and the Pentagon - had been deeply involved in pre- and post-war Iraq policy. Staff resentment of these outsiders in part reflected the resistance to change inherent in the culture of any large bureaucracy.

But the complaint of one former Bank employee to The New Yorker this month about the pair's modus operandi - "We are brighter than other people, we know more than other people" - was an eerie echo of the arrogance (and ignorance) of the US officials who ran Iraq after the war. Small wonder suspicions of the new boss ran so strong, and that a host of senior staffers, including six vice-presidents, left after Wolfowitz's arrival.

In fact few people are so different from their public image as the man that President Bush used to refer to affectionately as 'Wolfie.' A less lupine figure it is hard to imagine. Wolfowitz is soft-spoken, courteous, a listener rather than a talker.

He is an intellectual, who was Dean of the School of Advanced International Studies (SAIS) at Johns Hopkins University in Washington for eight years, before becoming Donald Rumsfeld's deputy at the Pentagon.

To be sure, Wolfowitz's career has followed the familiar neo-con path, from the young man who espoused liberal causes and marched with Martin Luther King in the early 1960s to the foreign policy hawk of little more than a decade later, convinced that only by projecting its strength and its values abroad could America defend itself at home, first from the Communist, then the terrorist, threat.

Like many neo-cons, he is Jewish, and a passionate supporter of Israel, where his sister now lives. He was also a prime mover in the neo-con manifesto of the 1990s, the Project for a New American Century. He sees himself less as a neo-conservative than as a pragmatist and realist, but in fact much of the youthful idealism remains.

Wolfowitz, the fire-breathing dragon who helped set the Middle East ablaze is in truth "a bit of a softie," Karl Jackson, who worked closely with him at SAIS, told The New Yorker. "He really believes in helping people who are economically deprived."

Often forgotten are his three years as ambassador to Indonesia, that quintessentially Third World country, for three years in the late 1980s, where Wolfowitz earned much praise (as well as criticism, for failing to take on the corruption endemic to the Suharto regime).

And this same archetypal champion of the Jewish state was actually booed at a pro-Israel rally in Washington in April 2002 for daring to remind them of the sufferings of the Palestinians.

The real problems with Wolfowitz in high office, whether at the World Bank or at the Pentagon, are his shortcomings as a manager. That was one reason, as the journalist and Bush court journalist Bob Woodward wrote in his most recent book State of Denial, that Paul Bremer and not Wolfowitz, was chosen to be the US pro-consul in Iraq after the 2003 invasion.

"The deputy Secretary of Defence was a thinker," Woodward records, "but he could barely run his own office."

That trait, by all accounts, has been evident at the Bank. He is not the hands-on, all-action, deftly self-promoting chief executive that was Wolfensohn. Nor is he a proven corporate manager, spewing out plans and bullet charts, like Robert McNamara, the defence secretary under Presidents Kennedy and Johnson and the World Bank President with whom Wolfowitz is often compared.

With one glaring exception, there is no "Wolfowitz doctrine". True, Bank officials are carrying out a review of strategy, which could see it shifting support from social projects like education and health to core schemes directly promoting economic growth.

"The question is - what is our comparative advantage, where can we contribute," Wolfowitz told The Financial Times.

But an administrative earthquake seems unlikely. "I do not think there is an urgent change of direction needed."

Nor are existing urgent goals to help the most impoverished being met. The first G-8 summit Wolfowitz attended was at Gleneagles in July 2005, when world leaders agreed to double aid to Africa by 2010, and write off billions of dollars of debt owed by the poorest countries.

Instead, World Bank lending to Africa in the last nine months is down $1bn from a year before. The explanation, however, may lie in the glaring exception referred to above.

Jim Wolfensohn had been the first Bank president to explicitly target "the cancer of corruption" in many borrower countries, thus breaking the unwritten rule that the Bank keep politics out of development.

In many respects, the new emphasis made perfect sense: up to 20 per cent of foreign aid is said to be swallowed by corruption, and indisputably, aid works best when disbursed to countries with efficient governments and honest officials.

Wolfowitz has not only made the corruption issue his own. He has also appeared to apply it on an arbitrary and unpredictable basis. The broader objections to making the fight against corruption the holy grail of development policy are two-fold. For one thing, corruption and economic success are not necessarily mutually exclusive (just look at China); and second, when the Bank withholds aid it merely hurts the weakest and poorest citizens of the country it is supposedly helping.

But the random fashion in which Wolfowitz applied the corruption sanctions fanned a third suspicion - that his hit list had been drawn up not by the World Bank, but by the Bush administration. Under pressure, Wolfowitz has now agreed to a compromise set of anti-corruption rules, whereby lending would only be halted in "exceptional circumstances".

But this breakthrough is unlikely to rescue the Wolfowitz era at the World Bank. By convention, a president is nominated by the US government, the Bank's largest shareholder, for five years, and assuming a Democrat wins the White House in 2008, Wolfowitz' term is unlikely to be renewed when it ends in 2010 (assuming of course that the Riza affair does not end it sooner).

Whatever happens however, the man with whom Paul Wolfowitz will be compared is Robert McNamara. The two have much in common. Both came to the Bank from the Pentagon, and both were identified with unpopular wars. But there the similarities end. McNamara visibly used the World Bank as atonement for Vietnam, and became the most influential president in its history.

But like his former master in the White House, Wolfowitz (at least in public) has never admitted responsibility for the debacle that is Iraq. Indeed, some believe that he sees the Bank as another means of bringing democracy to the developing world, the very goal the Iraq war was meant to achieve in the Middle East.

That grand notion has failed, and Wolfowitz's stewardship of the World Bank may be little more successful - even with some new socks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 457 • Replies: 18
No top replies

blueflame1

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 10:27 am
This Wolfie is a busy man."Wolfowitz Warns of 'Surprise like Pearl Harbor' Months Before 9/11 Attacks" link
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 11:40 am
I thought you were going to bring up Monicagate. Laughing
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 11:51 am
I found this recent article in the New Yorker by John Cassidy to portray Wolfowitz in a more interesting manner --

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2007/04/09/070409fa_fact_cassidy
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 11:55 am
Yep. Interesting article. About halfway through I thought Wolfowitz might not be so bad after all -- then whammo and whammo and whammo again, by the end it was an extremely unflattering portrait. Nuanced, though, and thorough, glad I read it.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 12:24 pm
I had the same reactions, Soz.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 12:30 pm
Republicans
It is no secret that the Republican Party, especially it's conservative business biased members, are anti-government. The only exception is huge funding for the military, which it supports to protect them and their assets. The only reason the Republican Party wants the power to dominate the government is to use it to enrich themselves. The Bush Administration best demostrates the success of their goal.

BBB
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 12:34 pm
Personally, I prefer politicians who promote their girlfriends over politicians who drown them.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 12:55 pm
Thomas
Thomas wrote:
Personally, I prefer politicians who promote their girlfriends over politicians who drown them.

Cheap shot!

BBB
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 01:05 pm
Re: Thomas
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Thomas wrote:

Cheap shot!

BBB

True though.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Wed 11 Apr, 2007 01:09 pm
Re: Thomas
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
Thomas wrote:

Cheap shot!

True enough. I think we can both agree that neither kind of politician belongs into public office.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 03:38 pm
WBank head sorry for 'mistake,' refuses to say if will resign
Published: Thursday April 12, 2007

World Bank president Paul Wolfowitz Thursday apologized for making a "mistake" over hefty pay rises given to his girlfriend at the development lender, amid an uproar about alleged favoritism.

"I made a mistake for which I am sorry," Wolfowitz told a press conference.

The former deputy US defense secretary refused to say if he might have to resign as the World Bank's board of governors met to discuss the row Thursday.

"I'm not going to pre-empt their deliberations," he said, but added: "I will accept any rememdies they propose.

"This was not in any way to protect personal interests. My real regret was that I didn't more forcefully keep myself out it," he said.

"I take full responsibility for the details of the agreement," he added, after explaining that he had followed advice given by the bank's ethics committee on the employment of his Libyan-born partner, Shaha Riza.

She was transferred from the World Bank's communications office to the US State Department in line with bank regulations to avoid a conflict of interest after Wolfowitz's appointment in mid-2005.

While still on the World Bank payroll, she was then rapidly promoted and ended up with a nearly 200,000-dollar package -- more even than Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice.

Wolfowitz acknowledged that the situation surrounding Riza "had the potential to harm this institution" and stressed that he had initially wanted no involvement in her employment terms.

Given his romantic involvement with her, he faced a "painful personal dilemma when I was new to the institution" but had made a "good-faith effort to promote my understanding of that advice" of the ethics committee.

The committee's advice had been to "promote and relocate" Riza out of the World Bank, he said, although that is disputed by some bank staff.

According to a Financial Times report Thursday, Wolfowitz personally ordered the hefty pay rises given to Riza.

It cited two people who had seen a memo from Wolfowitz to the head of human resources spelling out the terms of the package.
link
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 05:21 pm
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 05:25 pm
BBB
What is it about men that it's often a woman who brings them down?

BBB
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 05:27 pm
This is totally unexpected manna from heaven. Yummy.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 05:39 pm
Re: BBB
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:

BBB

What is it about women ditto?

I'll take a punt, and suggest it's something to do with our primeval sexual instincts overriding our relatively new (hence the name) neo cortex....especially when we are in that daft state of chemically induced near madness called "being in lerve".
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 05:48 pm
dlowan wrote:
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
BBB

I'll take a punt, and suggest it's something to do with our primeval sexual instincts overriding our relatively new (hence the name) neo cortex....especially when we are in that daft state of chemically induced near madness called "being in lerve".

You mean like the female astronaut gone wacko?

BBB
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 12 Apr, 2007 05:52 pm
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
dlowan wrote:
BumbleBeeBoogie wrote:
BBB

You mean like the female astronaut gone wacko?

BBB

That would be one example of the myriad dumb acts done by people worldwide every day, yes.

I would consider that one a little extreme....
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 11:17 am
Bank Staff Asks Wolfowitz to Resign
Bank Staff Asks Wolfowitz to Resign
By Jeannine Aversa
The Associated Press
Thursday 12 April 2007

World Bank President Paul Wolfowitz acknowledged Thursday that he erred in helping a close female friend get transferred to a high-paying job, and said he was sorry.

His apology didn't ease concerns among the bank's staff association, which wants him to resign.

The growing controversy has overshadowed major development meetings this weekend and is raising fresh questions about whether Wolfowitz will stay on the job. The White House, however, expressed confidence in the embattled bank president.

At issue are the generous compensation and pay raises of a bank employee, Shaha Riza, who has dated Wolfowitz. She was given an assignment at the State Department in September 2005, shortly after he became bank president.

"In hindsight I wish I had trusted my original instincts and kept myself out of the negotiations," Wolfowitz said. "I made a mistake, for which I am sorry."

The World Bank Group Staff Association is demanding that Wolfowitz step down.

"The president must acknowledge that his conduct has compromised the integrity and effectiveness of the World Bank Group and has destroyed the staff's trust in his leadership," the association said Thursday. "He must act honorably and resign."

Wolfowitz said he met Thursday morning with the World Bank's board and that members were looking into the matter. He declined to discuss what actions, if any, the board could take.

"I proposed to the board that they establish some mechanism to judge whether the agreement reached was a reasonable outcome," he said, referring to Riza's transfer. "I will accept any remedies they propose."

Wolfowitz dodged a question about whether he would resign over the flap. "I cannot speculate on what the board is going to decide," he said.

A World Bank spokeswoman would not comment on what range of options the board could consider or when it would finish its deliberations.

The White House voiced its support for Wolfowitz.

"Of course President Wolfowitz has our full confidence," said White House spokesman Tony Fratto. "His leadership is helping the bank accomplish its mission of raising living standards for poor people throughout the world. In dealing with this issue, he has taken full responsibility and is working with the executive board to resolve it."

The Government Accountability Project, a watchdog group, estimated Riza's salary at $193,590 as a result of the job transfer and pay raises. The group says she was paid by the World Bank and remains on the bank's payroll. The World Bank would not comment on Riza's compensation, citing confidentiality concerns.

"I take full responsibility for the details," of the job transfer, Wolfowitz said. "I did not attempt to hide my actions nor make anyone else responsible," he said.

The job change was made, he said, to avoid a conflict of interest when he took his post at the World Bank, where Riza already worked.

World Bank rules bar employees from supervising anyone with whom they had a personal relationship.

"I took the issue to the Ethics Committee and after extensive discussions ... the committee's advice was to promote and relocate Ms. Shaha Riza," Wolfowitz said.

"I made a good faith effort to implement my understanding of that advice," he explained.

Riza worked as a communications adviser in the bank's Middle East Department before she was detailed to the job at the State Department.

The State Department says Riza left in September 2006 and now works for Foundation for the Future, an international organization that gets some money from the department.

The World Bank's stated mission is to fight poverty and improve the living standards of people in developing countries. It lends about $20 billion a year for various projects.

Wolfowitz - who took the bank's helm on June 1, 2005 - asked for "some understanding" of his position in the controversy.

"Not only was this a painful personal dilemma, but I also had to deal with it when I was new to this institution, and I was trying to navigate uncharted waters," he said.

President Bush appointed Wolfowitz, a main architect of the Iraq war when he served as deputy defense secretary. His appointment was greeted with protests by international aid and other groups, and some worried he might use the bank to help America's allies and punish its enemies.

When asked about those fears on Thursday, Wolfowitz said: "We're not playing favorites with anybody."
0 Replies