The First Woman President in US?

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 12:10 pm
Two women will run for the presidency in the near future. Good bets suggest they could be Condolezza Rice and Hillary Clinton.

Who will win?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,277 • Replies: 16
No top replies

oldandknew

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 12:26 pm
Condolezza Rice. That way you get a 1st lady president and a 1st black president all at once. Now what odds at the bookmakers would I get on that.
0 Replies

jackie

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 12:34 pm
I believe you would be zeroed, Oak.
Condoleeza Rice will not be "president". She may not even be in the public view any more than Dan Quayle, after her short term is over.

I have no doubt she is patriotic and intelligent, but then, so am "I"

Laughing Laughing Laughing

That's about the most I can say for her, none of it is political savvy.
(Not that Hillary is capable of 'presiding' over this great nation, either)
Yet, I feel the power of the Democrats would rally around her.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 12:36 pm
Hillary has Bill working for her. Condolezza doesn't.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 12:42 pm
Jackie, you may very well be right in what you say. You are closer to the situation than I am. But seeming outsiders can suddenly come to the front.
I get the feeling from 5000 miles away that America is scared of having a woman president just yet, that it wouldn't settle with what seems to be very much a male dominated political/finacial culture. A black president first, is perhaps more likely
0 Replies

jackie

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 12:46 pm
Yes, Oak, Black (or other nationality) before woman, you are probably right. but I don't think a woman even SOON enough to allow Hillary,

Unless she LIVES long... serves the Senate a Long time, and is still capable of holding up the reins of presiding.

You know, Reagan was too old... but he had Nancy (and the seers)
Laughing
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 12:50 pm
I voted for Jesse Jackson and would be willing to vote for Hillary. Actually, I concentrate on the candidate before race or gender.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 01:13 pm
I'm the same way as edgar when I vote; I vote for the person I think most qualified irregardless of race or gender. As a matter of fact, I've been voting for more women during the past several years, because I believe they bring a more humane perspective to our political agenda. c.i.
0 Replies

steissd

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 01:31 pm
IMO, Ms. Rice has deserved to become a President, when the two successive tenures of Mr. Bush expire.
0 Replies

LibertyD

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 02:46 pm
ROFLMAO!!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing

Oh man, steiss, you're hilarious!

I think that Hilary would have a much better chance -- she's proven that she can work with people on both sides of the coin, that she doesn't buckle under pressure, and being married to Bill doesn't hurt her chances, either.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 05:23 pm
Striessd
Bad call, man.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 05:56 pm
I think a woman has a better chance than a black of becoming POTUS, but I also think that both have about the chance of a snowflake in hell, during my lifetime.
0 Replies

oldandknew

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 06:13 pm
Whoever you guys elect next time around, during the last few years America has had a great many things to consider on the political front. Doubts and uncertainties have been rife. It seems to me that you'll be questioning the candidates a lot more closely about many things. You are not only electing a USA President but in many ways the World's President and that latter point also effects everyone from Washington to LA and should concentrate a great many minds
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 06:22 pm
I'd love for the first woman president to be Hillary -- but I would easily settle for Chelsea.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 07:42 pm
The main reason a black man cannot get elected today is because there are few black men with a national audience; the few that have the audience have a lot of negatives surrounding them. By negatives, I mean too many whites have unbending hostility for them. I believe that if a man having Colin Powell's charisma and a solid background white voters could find encouraging broke on the scene with exactly the right message he could be elected the first black president in any upcoming contest. Another military man, for instance. The one factor that most worries me is he might get assassinated somewhere along the way.
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 10:37 pm
EB, I agree with you. For a long time, I kept reading that Alma [wife of Colin] Powell has begged him not to run because she is terrified he would indeed be assassinated.

Unfortunately, I don't see any black or white, male or female candidates who have a real chance of winning who I can stand...of course, I will be voting for whatever democrat they nominate in order to get rid of Bush and his crowd, but I'm not happy about any of the top contenders.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2003 07:41 am
Colin Powell could never win. That's why he should never even consider running for President of the US.
0 Replies