The Sopranos

Reply Mon 9 Apr, 2007 10:19 am
Well, the beginning of the end has begun.

What did everyone think of the first episode last night?

Hubby thought it was boring but I think it had a lot of insight as to what's going to happen. Tony seems to be slipping. He's finally grooming Bobby.

The question is....will Tony get out, get pinched or get whacked?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,458 • Replies: 19
No top replies

snookered

Reply Fri 13 Apr, 2007 09:47 pm
Re: The Sopranos
Bella Dea wrote:
Well, the beginning of the end has begun.

What did everyone think of the first episode last night?

Hubby thought it was boring but I think it had a lot of insight as to what's going to happen. Tony seems to be slipping. He's finally grooming Bobby.

The question is....will Tony get out, get pinched or get whacked?

I expected more or differen't. I think Tony will get Hit. Who knows, maybe a spinoff. Wouldn't that be cool? Unless The Show couldn't go on without Tony.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 07:18 am
I thought it was really good. So much foreshadowing. When Tony got arrested and walked into the holding tank, I thought at first that he could kick the asses of any of those tough guys. The look on his face sent chills...But then later Bobby kicks HIS ass and I realized he's not the same Tony. The look was fear not rage.

And Bobby...he botched that hit badly. Bad things are going to be the result.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 07:29 am
I think it's so gratifying to see the continuation, unscathed, of a proud American tradition like the glorification of the wife-beating, pathologically criminal Tony Soprano, especially in this time when good-ole-boys like Imus are getting crucified.
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 07:37 am
You don't get it, do you?

It's not glorification at all. Tony's a terrible man, but he's complex. Ever heard of King Lear?
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 07:39 am
That's great. King Lear was a complex character. So was Tupac. Po-tay-to, po-tah-to.

But, I intruded upon a thread which is clearly for folks who appreciate the sopranos, and for that I apologize. Carry on.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 09:02 am
snood wrote:
I think it's so gratifying to see the continuation, unscathed, of a proud American tradition like the glorification of the wife-beating, pathologically criminal Tony Soprano, especially in this time when good-ole-boys like Imus are getting crucified.

There's a difference: you have to seek out the Sopranos, by going to HBO at a certain time on a certain day, vs. hearing Imus unexpectedly call a basketball team a bunch of ho's on the public airways.

Just like you have to go out of your way to click on a thread titled "Sopranos" to give your insightful politically correct commentary. Good job, don't pull anything patting yourself on the back. And yea, Tupac was incredibly complex...

Anyway, I liked the first show. There was some good suspense built up between the feud, then the laundromat scene.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 09:11 am
make no mistake that Bobby will get busted for that hit... unless the producers want us to be sure that he's going to be busted and then just never mention it again just to keep us guessing.... those devilishly clever bastards....
Meanwhile AJ... man... he might do okay as a Soprano but he'd never make it in the Bear clan.... little ****...
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 09:53 am
Why do you think Bobby screwed up the hit? One presumes that he used a clean weapon that can't be traced back to him, and left no prints on it. There were no witnesses. He was in and out quickly, and did the deed by the numbers. I think that the danger to Tony and the Family is that Bobby was never a button man, and this event may transform him into a less loyal Capo.

Tony is coming unwound. He admitted to Bobby that he's concerned about being whacked, or jailed. When Bobby beat Tony, Tony's vulnerability was demonstrated. Later in the night Tony woke Bobby to say, "you beat me fair and square", but later obviously harbored a deep resentment over the affair. Bobby has to be more than a little anxious and upset over being sent on a contract against his wishes.

Being tossed in the clink certainly brought home to Tony the unpleasantness of prison, but I doubt it frightened him. After all, Tony has done time before and jail-time is one of the hazards of his profession. Tony knows he's losing control, but he hasn't the depth to know what to do about it.

Tony Soprano is an interesting character. If he had a different childhood and a more honest disposition, he might have become the salesman he posed at being last season after being shot. He might have been the family man next door, someone you might even regard as a "friend". Tony isn't an inherently evil man as the media portrays such people, but he is certainly capable of committing terrible crimes without them bothering him later. I'm sure that the season will end with Tony dead, in jail, or in a witness protection program ... in that order of probability.

It seems that Tony realizes that Christopher isn't up to heading the organization, and Christopher is a loose cannon. If Christopher screws up one more time, he may be going for a short swim in the middle of the ocean. The other Capos loyalty, I think, is going to be really tested this season, and Johnny Sack isn't out of the picture either. It will be interesting to see what the writers have in store for us. Lots of possibilities with a large cast of familiar fully realized characters.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 10:01 am
apparently you failed to notice that the kid reached up and grabbed Bobby's shirt and ripped half of it. Bobby left with his fat ass dna and sweat all over the front of his shirt in the kids hands.... just a minor detail but an important one, especially considering that earlier in the episode while on the boat they were specifically talking about how risky it was to do a hit nowadays due to DNA evidence.

I realize I'm a mental midget compared to you Asherman (lord god aren't we all) but I do notice some things. :wink:
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 10:19 am
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
apparently you failed to notice that the kid reached up and grabbed Bobby's shirt and ripped half of it.:

Yup....definitely could be a big mistake.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 10:27 am
Oh, and slappy - eat me.
0 Replies

Asherman

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 10:53 am
The hit occurred on Canadian soil. the authorities have no reason to suspect that the killer was an American, so the chances that no U.S. data bases will be searched. Even if they were, Bobby's DNA probably isn't on file anywhere. The Canadians first have to identify Bobby as a suspect, and that isn't likely to happen. Bobby may not be a stone-killer, but he's been around and knows enough to carry out a clean hit. Even if the weapon was really clean, leaving it so prominently behind was a far bigger risk than the DNA evidence.

By sending Bobby on this little errand, Tony has created a monster out of one of his most loyal followers. Tony is going to need support as the pressure mounts, and can ill afford putting ideas into the heads of subordinates.

BTW, you're right, I didn't notice that the kid snagged a bit of shirt before dying. Good catch.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 02:05 pm
Bobby had the gun in his bare hand and then dropped it. How could his fingerprints not be on the gun?
0 Replies

Swimpy

Reply Sat 14 Apr, 2007 02:08 pm
Tony knew he'd f it up. He still blames Bobby for Junior shooting him.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 15 Apr, 2007 09:48 pm
James Gandolfini is one fine actor. I wish he was in more of the show.

I have a feeling that Christopher is not long for this world--just when he gets his life in order (more or less).

I have to assume that the first two episodes this season are setting the stage for things to come.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 08:15 am
Roberta wrote:
I have to assume that the first two episodes this season are setting the stage for things to come.

That would be a mighty perceptive observation.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 10:21 am
Why do people get so damned uptight about the Sopranos?

It's a tv show people. It's a fictional show (based yes, on true life scenarios) but I hardly think that people think all Italian American's are in the mafia.

It's not a show about Italian Americans. It's a show about the mafia.

Better take Entourage off the air because that might put a bad light on Hollywood. Or CSI because it teaches criminals how to get away with murder (literally). Or holy hell, take that evil show Shark off the air because lawyers cannot ALL be ruthless, law bending a-holes, can they??

People need to R E L A X.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 10:44 am
Phil has a hard on for Tony, is going to take over the Brooklyn family and then.... the mattresses baby.
0 Replies

kermit

Reply Fri 1 Jun, 2007 01:03 pm
Man I hope Phil dies in a way worse than a curbing. Hate that guy.
0 Replies