President Me.

Sofia

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 01:17 am
You are President.

What specific actions would you take to address your top five priorities in bringing the US in line with your vision of how it should be?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 967 • Replies: 14
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 01:31 am
Good topic, I'll be back later.
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 02:18 am
I'm just thinking out loud here. The first thing to do would be to identify what the top five problems the U.S. has are. I imagine just this would generate a lot of discussion, let alone the possible solutions to the problems.

Some possibilities for the problems are (in no particular order):

1. Uncontrolled immigration.
2. Loss of manufacturing jobs overseas.
3. Dependence on foreign oil / the need for a clean domestic fuel source.
4. The decline of public education.
5. Federal, State and Local budget deficits.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 03:47 am
1. Why I am a foreign national.
2. Why the capital isn't somwhere warmer.
3. Couldn't we have a few LESS states? Like having a SOUTH and a NORTH Dakota is a bit redundent, wouldn't it be easier to have just one state there?
4. Can we tow Hawaii a bit closer?
5. The Falklands/Malvinas. If no-one can actually work out who it belongs to, its like up for grabs. Isn't it?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 05:03 am
I am reminded of Hillaire Belloc, writing in the introduction to his biography of Louis XVI, he describes FDR as a monarch. That totally ignores the Congress, and that other branch of government, which FDR in a fit of bad temper called "those nine old men."

Anyone taking up residence at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue does not, in fact, have the power which is so often ascribed to the office. If the occupant takes up residence while the Congress is filled with members of the opposite party, you get a wailing and gnashing of teeth which results in such claptrap as "tax and spend liberals," which was bandied about just before the biggest irresponsible spending spree in our history, until the current occupant got his hands on the check book. Then, of course, you have the situation which will arise when the person in that office has a sympathetic majority in both houses--which is damned if you do and damned if you don't for the Congress. Judge Roy Bean here has gotten pretty much what he wanted while playing "the only law either side of the Pecos." That has not made either him or the Congress immune to bitter recrimination. The only tools immediately available to our chief magistrate are executive order, and the rather negative power of not spending funds as they were allocated. A president can withhold expenditures of which s/he does not approve, and they can fudge by a careful manipulation of funds which are available. Sooner or later, they have to go to the Hill, hat in hand, so to speak, to push through an agenda.

I'm not trying to beg the question, however:

Appoint a bi- or multi-partisan, independent panel to review efficiency in government expenditures, and start delivering documents by the truck-load. That body should be about 50 or 60 strong, thereby able to break up into subcommittees in order to handle mountains of paperasse they'd have to wade through. Then i'd start showing up in person at the agencies in question, to light fires under the appropriate asses. ("What do you mean you don't know where it is? If you're so damned vague about these matters, why should the people continue to employ you? Tell me, Admiral, do you like full-time employment, or do you dream of retirement--'cause i can be very flexible about this?")

Establish a panel of consultants from the law schools of the nation to provide recommendations for the appointments to the Federal judiciary, while leaning heavily on Congress to enact such a body permanently, and make the issue a part of every public speech i made, to keep the pressure up. My point would be to attempt to reduce the partisan squabbling aspect of executive appointments to the bench.

Immediately sequester all fund for what can be described as corporate wellfare, and otherwise drag my feet on the disbursement of monies to any corporate entities, while making a big public stink over the issue, including televised addresses to the nation on the subject of handouts to fatcats.

I'd use the bully pulpit to make the Israeli government squirm nearly every day. I'd block the disbursement of foreign aid to that nation, and make sure that bankers all over the world knew it, in terms of "Say, you wanna be sure Sharon's checks don't bounce, ya know?" It is more than a generation past due for a US president to put meaningful pressure on them. I'd also make sure the Palestinian authority were under no illusion about what is expected of them if ever they wish to get a penny of foreign aid while i were in office (which, given my view of politics and international diplomacy, wouldn't be likely to be for more than one term).

I'd devote as much time as possible to visiting the rank and file of our armed forces, at whatever duty station they might occupy, and to visiting their families in their states-side neighborhoods. I'd make very public my displeasure over any perquisites enjoyed by the officer corps, on the age old and successful principle of the best commanders, that an officer does not eat or sleep until he has assured that his troops have been fed and properly bedded down for the night. In a related note, every time members of Congress decided they just had to study the effect of the North American Free Trade Agreement on the hospitality industry in Cancun, i'd be making an unseemly public scene about waste in that body.

I have a sixth and a seventh, as well--i'd wear body armor day an night, and i'd permanently bar Mr. Stillwater from entry to our fair shores.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 06:51 am
1. I would seek to rein in the global companies which operate much like Blackbeard the pirate. No corporate welfare, no tax loopholes. If I met with any success I would be murdered.

2. I would seek to put some sanity in the practices of the FDA. They are hand in hand with the drug companies on too many issues.

3. I would seek to make the drug companies lower their prices, make them seek funding the old fashioned way instead selling overpriced, often dangerous products aimed at symptoms instead of cures.

4. I would do all I could to reverse foreign policy as it exists today, undo all that I could of the Bush legacy. I would work to ensure the military stayed strong, however.

5. I would seek to reverse deregulation.

6. Break up monopolies where any exist.

Just quick thoughts. Of course I would get people to help me study these things before making the first move.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 07:07 am
First thought that came into my mind was the Federal judiciary.

Setanta covered that issue with:

"Establish a panel of consultants from the law schools of the nation to provide recommendations for the appointments to the Federal judiciary, while leaning heavily on Congress to enact such a body permanently, and make the issue a part of every public speech i made, to keep the pressure up. My point would be to attempt to reduce the partisan squabbling aspect of executive appointments to the bench. "

As far as I can see -- that is THE PRIMARY ISSUE.

Not sure how I would handle it -- although it certainly would be along the lines Setanta set out here. (I hate panels and study groups, but obviously, that would be the only realistic way of starting on this problem.)

Seems to me we will never get politics completely out of the "judiciary selection process" -- but we should be able to set up a peer review or recommendation group to make the intrusion as small as possible.

I reiterate: I nominate this issue as the number one item on any list we compile of the 5 biggest problems.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 07:10 am
Right, Setanta and Frank. I forgot about that. #7 ...
0 Replies

NeoGuin

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 07:18 am
Let me think
0 Replies

Anon

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 10:32 am
Sofia:

Nice Topic! I'll watch with interest and do some thinking myself.

Anon
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 12:12 pm
I was thrilled to see some of the realistic, thoughtful responses. As Set said-- Sometimes, we can ascribe way too much responsibility to the President, as though he can achieve whatever he/she pleases.

Which is why I was interested in the specific actions our members would take to achieve their goals. Really good stuff here!!!

My list begins with
1) Healthcare for our citizens. I believe it is evil that some live, some die, and some suffer due to how much money they have. Survival of the fittest is for animals, not people. But, I think govt delivery of healthcare is disasterous.

I would attack the factors causing healthcare to be so unaffordable. I'd try to carve out a sub-department for medical research, pharmacuetical development and production--possibly within the military. We're already paying those guys. Threaten to infuse the market with free or really cheap drugs, and I wonder what the response of the over priced pharm companies would be?

I haven't figured out how to bring down doctor's fees, other than work to cap malpractice lawsuits. I'd offer to forgive loans, and offer newly created loans to medical school students for those who keep their fees on a certain scale for a certain number of years...

You know what? Make them less rare birds. Give Nurse Practitioners the ability to write scrips... Pull the Holy Rug out from under their heartless asses... YES. I would make commercials about this, and put myself on the leading edge of this. (But I would also put myself in the middle of strengthening Nurse Practitioner curricula)

I would work to make it a crime for a doctor to turn away a Medicaid recipient.

I would check in to a hospital with a film crew--have someone tally the cost of each treatment, each medication-- I would hit it hard and often--and get a group of thinkers together to come up with ways to keep healthcare private, but get costs under control. ALSO, I don't know what they talk about at the G-8, but when I was there, we'd spend time talking about the healthcare delivery program each of us was presiding over--and if it was humane or not.
I would discuss Congress' healthcare package at length--insult them for it--and demand we all used the same healthcare delivery system as our constituents!! I'm sure, at this point, one of them would have me shot.

Anon-- don't lie! You always threaten to show up and entertain me with your wit and I don't see you til a week later!!! I will stand here, waiting for you... Cool

2) Next up-- Campaign Finance Reform...
0 Replies

Anon

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 12:57 pm
Sofia:

We'll have to get the chat room crew together again for a yak yak session!

Your number one is definitely a lead bugaboo for me also. One thing you mention is

"
I haven't figured out how to bring down doctor's fees, other than work to cap malpractice lawsuits. I'd offer to forgive loans, and offer newly created loans to medical school students for those who keep their fees on a certain scale for a certain number of years...
"

California is one of the States to lead the way to limit claims in Malpractice suits. California limits the claim to $200,000. That is also being introduced in the Federal Gov. as well! You mention student loans ... The Government gives a college education in return for six years military service ... Why can't we give a Medical School Education for some given number of years service??

Anon
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 01:09 pm
Anon--

Sounds good!

(The yakking and the Medical School education)

I think there are probably a lot more areas that could be manipulated (that we aren't aware of) that could pretty effectively turn the tide on criminally high medical care costs--but nobody has the balls to do it.
-----------------------

Campaign Finance Reform may not seem important, but I feel corruption in govt keeps a myriad of other important things from being done. Like the waste Setanta spoke of-- I feel billions are being funnelled into private pockets due to govt corruption. They call it waste, and we buy it. Bullshit. They're crooks. Remember Algore took on spending waste as Veep. I remember seeing him in a huge warehouse, pointing at stuff... Nothing came of it. It was like a dead end. $900. toilet seats? Really? I just wonder if Campaign Finance Reform would really put a dent in political corruption...
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 01:51 pm
Capping malpractice lawsuits can have an adverse effect also. In today's overpriced medical world $200,000 can be a mere pittance. Instead of setting a figure, perhaps a list of services that would be provided instead of money, with a strict watchdog committee.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sun 13 Jul, 2003 01:53 pm
NOW, edgar is on to something!!! Bravo!
0 Replies