TELL 5 INTERESTING/SURPRISING THINGS ABOUT YOURSELF!

Heliotrope

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 11:01 am
Thanks c.i. I'll do that. Have to make sure I take my Nikon.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 11:12 am
BTW, the best way to take pictures is to place your camera against or close to the glass shell to prevent reflections. You probably already knew that. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 02:44 pm
In my spare time during the fall migration I band hawks for U. S. Fish and Wildlife.

At age 39 I practiced for 2 weeks and ran the Boston Marathon. Never ran before or since.

In junior high school I did an entire years homework in 2 days and took a test to pass geometry

My last physical exam was 43 years ago.

As a boy (having been raised by women) I would not fight. Since I was raised in a tough town (Somerville Mass.) I was always being beat up but wouldn't defend myself for fear of hurting someone. Started playing hooky so I wouldn't be beat up. Had to submit to psychoanalysis for 2 years to stay in school. Had my first fight at age 15 and clobbered a kid who had beat me up since the second grade. he caught me later with his 2 brothers and I beat them up. Fought eight guys once and beat them.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 04:21 pm
bob, I learned from early childhood that you had to fight those kids that taunted you or it never stopped. Since I wore eyeglasses from when I was very young, kids used to pick on me all the time, so I fought a lot. I learned that once you fought them, they left you alone. My report card used to say "c.i. fights too much," while my older brother got gold stars and the American flag on his. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 04:22 pm
Even as I got older, I was never afraid of the bigger kids. I got some bloodied nose in my time. Wink
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 05:11 pm
Last picked for kickball, chubby and forced into 10 year old handmedowns....I was just asking for a beating. But all in all by the time I got to HS everyone pretty much knew my name and that you shouldnt try it. Even had a kid in the neighborhood who would have girls picking on him all the time but, he'd use me as his bodyguard Rolling Eyes boy is he lucky I never had to do that however, I think he owes me some back pay for marketing or some such thing.
I did have it all catch up with me walking home from a parade in HS, one girl I had come to blows with a few years before was riding with 3 friends when they saw me and beat the crud outta me. I only managed to get one or two good blows in but, the shape they left me in, and the fact that a cop saw them walking towards me, well...they got theirs in the end. It was the only time I agreed with legal action. What goes around comes around dangit.
Funny how you can walk a couple miles in the inner city all beaten and bloody though and no one really notices....my parents even drove by when I had gotten to the end of the street, sometimes you just shake your head and keep on going....well, with that whole practice thing you know you are usually walking somewhere in that condition....the whole beat or beaten really cant be seen when you get to a certain aspect of it all.
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 07:11 pm
Y'all sure did grow up in tough neigborhoods!
When I was a wee lad we would make the trek to northern Wisconsin to visit my dad's parents. There would be lots of aunts, uncles and cousins there.
One afternoon Mr Walters, who farmed down the road, came by. He had a problem. He had hundreds and hundreds of bales of hay in his fields and it was fixing to rain and it was looking like days of rain were coming.
The men-folk in our clan piled into pick-up trucks and headed over to the Walters' place and for a couple of hours loaded the rectangular bales onto wagons. I, being only six-years old in 1952, was perched right behind Alex, at 16 the youngest son in the Walters family. He was driving the tractor that towed the wagons up to the barn. I kept nagging him to let me drive, but he wouldn't.
Finally, though, the last few bales were loaded and the weary workers walked alongside the wagon.
"Alex," I said loudly, "can I drive the tractor when it breaks down?"
"Um, sure kid."
Ten seconds later the engine of the tractor exploded with a volley of sparks and parts. No one was hurt but I was told later that several of the folks, Lutherans of course, crossed themselves just in case and looked at me warily.

On that same trip, back from WI, my dad decided to collect shale
that was in piles along the Blue Ridge Parkway of Virginia. Shale is a flat "stone" of dubious durability but he had a plan for it in his landscaping.
I blurted out "Don't forget to bring along mittens."
We stopped. He got out and attempted to pick up the first piece. But the August sun had made it so hot that it burned his hand and he dropped it. He got back in the car and we drove home.

I've never been as wise as I was when I was six. It's been all downhill since then. (Sorry for the long post; if you know me you know I don't post often but when I do...) -realjohnboy-
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Fri 25 Jul, 2003 10:11 pm
RJB:

Don't apologize for the long post, I loved reading it!

I've always wanted to see Wisconsin, the folks there are so nice, and they have such a lovely lilt to their accent!

What a lovely story you told:)
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 03:56 am
cicerone imposter wrote:
BTW, the best way to take pictures is to place your camera against or close to the glass shell to prevent reflections. You probably already knew that. Wink c.i.

Ahhh, all hail the great god Hoya Polariser.
Laughing
0 Replies

bobsmyth

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 08:17 am
A polarizer works best at an angle to the subject. Direct polarization often gives you reflections. If you have a single lens reflex camera you can see the degree of polarization and change the angle if necessary.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 10:03 am
Some glass are already polarized, so if your camera also has a polarized lens, you'll get shading in your pictures. c.i.
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Sat 26 Jul, 2003 04:06 pm
Got a couple of polarisers. One flat and one adjustable.
It won't be a problem.
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 07:06 pm
Sofia wrote:
Trawling memory...

I was voted Wittiest by my senior class. Our picture in the annual was us, drinking from wine glasses at a party, wearing togas. I misplaced my wittiness several years ago, and haven't even bothered to look for it.

We had a White and Black everything. White Homecoming Queen, Black Homecoming Queen, Black/White Wittiest, Black/White Best Dressed... I thought this was normal until friends at college saw my annual...... I don't know why we did this. Did anyone else's high school do this?

I was a cheerleader in Jr High, but when I squatted for my jumps, my knees crunched. I didn't go out for it again. I really liked the novelty, but I really hated learning cheers and practice. If they would have just let me wear the uniform...

I was in a horrific car accident. BFs hot rod was totalled. Friends, who saw the car, but hadn't heard about me thought we'd been killed. I walked up on a group of them, a couple crying, the next morning at church. That was a weird experience. Almost like attending your own funeral. Neither of us was injured. It was a miracle. I still ride past the telephone pole we cut in half. The others on the street are blackish. The one they replaced is now greenish-brown. The hydrant we hit is still like the Leaning Hydrant of Pisa.

A friend was in a coma for about a month. We all visited pretty often, trying to wake him up. One day, I tickled his foot. There were about five people in the room. He very slowly sat up. He looked at me. I said, "Wake up. You'll be late." He slowly laid back down. Two months later, he came out of the coma. He said he dreamed about me all the time--I was always telling him to hurry, he was going to be late. (OK, I don't know why I told that. Its not very interesting. I think tickling feet is very underrated in coma victims.)

Still trying to find mention of my fabulous speeding record.

Can only find boyfriend's wreck.

Forging ahead. Very Happy
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Sun 26 Feb, 2006 07:07 pm
Plus---bump. We have a new crop.
0 Replies

Foxy1983

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 07:25 am
1) I have an incurable thirst for music.

2) I find that teasing is the best game of all!

3) I'm a terrible romantic yet find it hard to show my affectionate side with family.

4) I would love to ride on a motorbike, strapped onto a hunky man in leathers, yet am terrified of doing so...

5) I take things way to seriously sometimes and get myself into lots of trouble!
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 08:37 am
How did I miss this???

1. When I was a teenager, I wanted 10 children either of my own or some adopted. Would still adopt if Bear would agree, but he won't.

2. My only fear is of spiders and snakes.

3. I don't understand people that gossip, or stick their noses into other peoples business just to start trouble. I LOVE people, and LOVE the variety, but this group boggles my mind.

4. I once skipped school and got caught. This was the same day that I learned Strawberry Hill tastes pretty good, but not with hot dogs.

5. I've been kissed on the cheek by Kenny Loggins.

(Can we do 6?)

6. When I was 15 -16, I wanted to marry Chevy Chase. Didn't think I had a chance with Leif Garrett or Donny Osmond.
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 08:55 am
OOH...let me think......

1. My ear hair also doubles up as a moustache, when I tie both sides together.

2. I like to smooth my eyebrows, using the tip of my tongue.

3. Despite undergoing two penile reduction ops, I still receive complaints.

4. I like to take upside down naps in my love harness.

5. Once, in my early twenties, I had a multiplied organism, which caused me to strain a back muscle.
0 Replies

seaglass

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 09:25 am
let's see

Have a sarcastic tongue in cheek sense of
humor, sorta a devil's advocate.

a devotee of off-roading in my SUV

adore reading to my parapeligic grand-
daughter, a brilliant mind trapped in a ruined
body

got thrown in jail for kneeing a red neck cop
in a civil rights confrontation down south
(hate red necks with a passion.)

Am a decendent of John Brown, civil war
abolutionist.

love recovering drunks, my husband in
particular.

Seaglass
0 Replies

material girl

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 10:10 am
1. when I was about 4 I got lost, I was found staring at one of those revolving jewelery stands outside a shop window.

2.If only people knew how much Id like to kick thier butt s.Id be a great boss and im not this receptionist that I happen to have as a job.

3.I could easily slag off everyone including people I like, and myself.

4.Id love to just get on a train somewhere and travel and not have to worry about anything, despite being a hoebody that hates to drive anywhere coz Im such fraidy cat.

5.I hate seeing people all dressed the same because of some fashion dictation.I hate people not thinking for themselves and follwing the crowd.if only people knew what I was thinking!!
0 Replies

Lash

Reply Tue 28 Feb, 2006 09:42 pm
He had a multiplied organism?
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/12/2024 at 07:14:41