TELL 5 INTERESTING/SURPRISING THINGS ABOUT YOURSELF!

Algis Kemezys

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2003 08:45 pm
I am part Lithuanian, Scottish, English, Polish , Romanian and Austrian.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2003 08:48 pm
Gautam, I here gliding is really cool.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2003 08:59 pm
Tartarin wrote:
I am a direct descendent of an executed Salem "witch". Which one, Grey? I am too!

Then that would make at least 3 of us here on A2K. I'm descended from both John Proctor and Susannah (North) Martin.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2003 09:09 pm
I once participated in a protest with some friends to put Batman (the Adam West version) back on City TV when it was pulled. I had suggested that seeing as everyone thought our protest was bogus anyway, why not get City TV 'celebrities' to sign our petition on their way into work, as well as the public at large...it worked. They brought Batman back for a while, and I think they still own the stations they play it on to this day.

When away for my first time at a new summer camp, I had my weekly prison call to my folks and my dad said "Oh, your gerbil died." I asked if he had buried it, and he said "no, I flushed it down the toilet, what do you think."

My aunt was recently appointed an Ontario Supreme Court Judge at a record-setting young age for judges, after maintaining a long and influential career in family law, in private practice, where she helped write new law to the family law code, including harsher sentences for deadbeat dads.

I maintained a long-time friendship with a schizophrenic through high school because nobody else would. Now his sister is great friends with me and Mrs. cav (they met coincidentally through work-related stuff years after), and she never forgot the good deeds I did towards her brother, until he became too detached from reality for anyone to handle.

I chose to work in a public profession, catering for complete strangers, despite the fact that I am in many ways, a misanthropic agorophobe. Go figure... :wink:
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 03:01 am
Algis.Kemezys wrote:
Gautam, I here gliding is really cool.

It is great !! Up in the sky, no noise, no vibrations, just you, the birds and the musical sound of the wind to keep you company !
0 Replies

Jim

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 05:23 am
I've had to think about this for awhile to come up with five interesting things - I've always thought of myself as being a little dull and boring - sometimes my mother calls me "that stick-in-the-mud".

I also had a wandering off episode as a child (is this a common trait we have here?). When I was pre-school my mother took me along to a fabric store she was shopping at. I waited and waited inside for her to finish, and when I couldn't find her I reached the obvious conclusion that she had left without me, so I started to walk home. Needless to say this caused a big ruckus.

One of my jobs through school was at a sit down hamburger place called "Saint George and the Dragon". It was the type of place where every table has a basket of salted peanuts, and you throw the shells on the floor. When business was slack they'd stick me in a dragon costume and have me wave at cars passing by on the road to drum up customers.

Before my wife and I met, I was engaged to someone else. It's been 27 years since she ended it. The rational part of my mind understands it was for the best - I've had a great wife now for 24 years and we have three good kids - but it still hurts.

I ambushed my father back in '90. I was sent on a week long business trip to England and came back with a bottle of "Pig's Nose" scotch whiskey as a gag. My father asked me if I brought anything back, and I said "a bottle of snout". He said "you mean stout", and I said "no, I mean snout" and gave him the bottle.

One of my hobbies when we lived in Texas was to grow blueberries. I built up raised beds with just the right mixture of topsoil and sand, put in a drip irrigation system, and built a PVC frame with nets to keep the birds away. After all was said and done, those were some expensive berries.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 07:19 am
Hmmmmmmm........

I have fed a stormy petrel and been bitten on the tongue by a caterpillar.

I do appalling imitations of koalas with chlamydia with a dessert spoon as my only prop.

I can make people hysterical with laughter almost at will. (They have to have a sense of humour)

I once had an argument with a partner, and stormed out of the house, in high dudgeon, at 3.00 am, in my nightie. I then realised it was MY house, not his. Refusing to storm right back in again, and let him laugh at me, I snuck round the back, silently grabbed my bicycle, and rode it through the centre of the city to a friend's place and spent the night at his place, to HIS enormous amusement. I rode back early, snuck in the back door, and was having breakfast peacefully with my housemates when my partner got up, and came out equally nonchalantly, though he admitted later that he had been up most of the "night" searching for me. We both laughed about that one for hours. I am still stubborn.

When I was little I could "charm" dangerous animals because I was absolutely fearless. Savage dogs never barked at me, or bit me. Unhandleable cats were like floppy toys. Dangerous horses let me do anything to them. Wild animals calmed and settled when I went near them. Doesn't bloody work now, though, dammit.
0 Replies

morganwood

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 07:21 am
1. I'm still alive.
2. I was a Captain and helicopter instructer pilot in the Army
3. I have worked at at least 10 or 12 unrelated jobs.
4. I've been working with children in various capacities since I was 16 years old. (41 years)
5. I can't tolorate whinners
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 07:53 am
Misti, fantastic thread. Let's see now:

1. I am told that my brother saved me from being killed by a train when I
was around three years old. I was on one side of the tracks and headin
across as the engine bore down; he was coming on the other side and
ran across, swooping me up, and the force of the engine knocked him
down.

2. I have met many celebrities during my career in television.

3. As a vocalist, I performed at The Greenbrier Hotel in White Sulphur
Springs.

4. I'm the only one of my family to leave Virginia.

5. I have met Rae, Diane, Mapleleaf, Aka Roger, Big Dice, Urs, Cool and
(oh, yes) Misti Smile
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 07:56 am
In my best Austin Powers voice: "Who gets bitten by a caterpillar, I mean really..." That is indeed interesting though.

Once on a nature hike as a kid, our guide showed us that the grubs that nest in goldenrod were not only quite edible, but tasted like sugar. I was the only kid brave enough to try. They weren't bad, actually.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 12:36 pm
Seems like another life--I'd almost forgotten.

I had five or six humor pieces published in the local newspaper.

Title one-- Maternal Cerebral Discombobulation. I found it in some papers, and think I may post it in Original Writing. I can't find the others.

Title two-- Democrats Jump On Broccoli Bandwagon, As Bush Vetos Vegetable. I quoted Ted Kennedy, as saying any President, who disses vegetables is a national disgrace. He never sued me.

I was locally famous for two months... <How soon they forget.>

Another was about Miss Manners reviewing the televised crotch-scratching, snuff-spitting behavior of baseball players. It was not pretty.

I used to write term papers and essays in high school for profit. $5. for an A--$4. for a B. Inflation.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 12:50 pm
1. I'm very shy (crowd laughs)
2. People laugh a lot when I'm around (at me mostly)
3. Tried out for a Rocky movie "Over the Top" didn't make it
4. Tried out for a Sean Penn Movie - didn't make it.
5. Was supposed to go to the Olympics in 1980 (that got really messed-up - by boycott and injury)
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 12:55 pm
Husker!
Verrry interesting --trying out for a movie.
What did you have to do? Was it a speaking part, or extra? What was the part?

Sounds like a cool experience.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 01:11 pm
Well for the Rocky movie - it was an arm wrestling tourney (I got 2nd place) but not unique for some arm-wrestler profile.

For the Sean Penn movie I might have been a little to old - they had me read a couple lines and tell somethings about why I should get a part - then paid I could be an extra.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 01:14 pm
What Penn movie? Can you be seen in the scene?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 01:14 pm
Was at the Tonight Show when Jerry Sienfeld made is debut - non-event IMO. Then got to go back stage and have a drink with all the folks there.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 01:15 pm
Sofia wrote:
What Penn movie? Can you be seen in the scene?

Vision Quest - nope not seeable at all.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 01:15 pm
OH! Impressive elbow-rubbing.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 01:22 pm
Not me I stand in the back until provoked (crowd laughs) I'm so shy - really
Keep me away from kariokee(sp) , you'll see my alter-identity
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2003 01:29 pm
So-- you're a karioke (sp, also) singer...
Ballads, rock, what's your favorite?
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 11:00:01