Super cool computer tricks, for dopes like me.

Intrepid

Wed 21 Apr, 2010 12:28 pm
@OmSigDAVID,
OmSigDAVID wrote:

Intrepid wrote:
Thankfully, phonetic spelling never caught on.
Your disapproval is a source of re-assurance; thank u.

David

U r welcum
0 Replies

Philis

Thu 22 Apr, 2010 01:58 am
Have you ever seen those court reporters on tv shows. The people who sit at the little machines with their fingers typing fast, well, they write phonetically and also have many one stroke keys for entire sentences that might get repeated over and over again. Like for ex: prosecutor, judge, defense, defendant, witness, the state of, first degree murder etc.
stenograph stenturahttp://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd284/Philis37/stenography/stenturaprotege_150.jpg
Intrepid

Tue 27 Apr, 2010 12:45 am
@Philis,
Shorthand does the same thing, but it does not replace proper English
0 Replies

OmSigDAVID

Tue 27 Apr, 2010 12:48 am
@Philis,
Philis wrote:
Have you ever seen those court reporters on tv shows. The people who sit at the little machines with their fingers typing fast, well, they write phonetically and also have many one stroke keys for entire sentences that might get repeated over and over again. Like for ex: prosecutor, judge, defense, defendant, witness, the state of, first degree murder etc.
stenograph stenturahttp://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd284/Philis37/stenography/stenturaprotege_150.jpg
I once had a legal secretary who was an ex-court reporter
and took her dictation on one of those.

David
0 Replies

Diane

Sun 20 Mar, 2011 12:20 am
bookmarking
0 Replies

GrantJohnson73

Wed 27 Apr, 2011 07:57 am
@OCCOM BILL,
You don't need the control key when pressing 'PrtScn SysRq' but it doesn't hurt anything either.
0 Replies

jackpot2011

Sat 16 Jul, 2011 03:22 am
@OCCOM BILL,
Can't really help on so broad of question, DP. Anything I wrote would be wordier and less accurate than the built-in help files on programs that offer them. I can tell you ACT is both the best Database program, and the easiest place to build Macros.
0 Replies

JTT

Mon 15 Aug, 2011 03:43 pm
[just directed here; don't know if this one is here or not]

Dijya know that you can hold down Shift and drag and drop an icon/folder/file into the Recycle Bin and it will delete fully, ie. not be stored in the Recycle Bin?
Izzie

Mon 15 Aug, 2011 03:47 pm
@squinney,
squinney wrote:

Back on page 4 there's a list of Alt + numbers tricks to make symbols appear. I'm trying to put a copyright symbol in a Word (2007) document and it isn't working. Holding Alt while entering 0165 results in a "save document" box opening as soon as I hit the 1.

Any suggestions?

Acer Aspire 5743
Fn Alt 0169 (on number pad) = ©

on Dell
Fn Alt (then blue keys on querty) 0169 = ©

JTT

Mon 15 Aug, 2011 03:48 pm
@JTT,
Izzie informed me that there was already a thread for computer tricks. I deleted my new thread - in time before a hamster had dragged it off to eternity cyberspace and it deleted Izzie's post too. I didn't know that it would do that.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Mon 15 Aug, 2011 03:50 pm
@Izzie,

i've found that it's often easier to google the symbol rather than trying to remember the key combo...
JTT

Mon 15 Aug, 2011 04:04 pm
@Chai,
If you click on your mouse wheel, it will give you a speedy way to scroll up and down your page. It also seems to have a side to side movement that doesn't do anything on a page with normal script size.

Perhaps it would allow a person to make the print really large [use Ctrl+ or ++ or +++ etc] for easier reading and not only move up and down but side to side. I'll have to try it.
JTT

Mon 15 Aug, 2011 04:09 pm
@King Krimson,
Thanks KK.

Another for A2K and similar multi page sites.

Open "My Posts" in one tab and use right click then "Open Link in New Tab" for all new posts you want to read.
0 Replies

JTT

Mon 15 Aug, 2011 04:18 pm
@Intrepid,
Quote:
Thankfully, phonetic spelling never caught on.

It wouldn't have mattered if it had at some distant time in the past, Int. You would now be happier with phonetic spelling if that was the norm today.
0 Replies

JTT

Mon 15 Aug, 2011 04:23 pm
@Region Philbis,
It says copyright symbol on a PC is

"hold down the Alt key while keying in the numerics 0169"

How come it doesn't work in an A2K reply box?
JTT

Mon 15 Aug, 2011 04:26 pm
@JTT,
Quote:
It also seems to have a side to side movement that doesn't do anything on a page with normal script size.

Perhaps it would allow a person to make the print really large [use Ctrl+ or ++ or +++ etc] for easier reading and not only move up and down but side to side. I'll have to try it.

It does work for side to side movement on a page that has had the font size increased.
0 Replies

JTT

Mon 15 Aug, 2011 05:28 pm
When I started a thread on this, [before I deleted it], I thought that there would be thousands of neat little computer tricks, shortcuts, etc. I'm kinda surprised at the lack of them.
0 Replies

Izzie

Mon 15 Aug, 2011 05:34 pm
@JTT,
©

each computer is different with their code... (mine is the fn key next to the ctr on the left), then alt, then numerals on the right of the keyboard = ©

symbol character key is probably quicker as RP said tho...
Izzie

Mon 15 Aug, 2011 05:37 pm
@Region Philbis,
Region Philbis wrote:

i've found that it's often easier to google the symbol rather than trying to remember the key combo...

Hey RP Very Happy

difficult to do for © on photos tho - but most packages now have a tab to change the metadata output through the software etc - it's a case of going through the software package to ensure it's not just a © on the photo as a watermark, but that the metadata states it's an owned/licensed and a copyrighted image.
0 Replies

JTT

Mon 15 Aug, 2011 05:38 pm
@Izzie,
I remember using that special code box once upon a time but I don't know how to find it now. Obviously, it works even in an A2K reply box.

No fn key beside my left Ctrl.